IGNORED

ColecoVision Arcade Controller (FINAL Prototype!)

retroillucid

Will this controller work as a two-button controller for the 7800 as well as being a one-button controller for the A8 and 2600?

Good question. I can give a partial answer. The arcade controller works the same as a standard ColecoVision controller, with the 3rd and 4th fire buttons added (of the same as a Super Action Controller, without the spinner). If those controllers work on the 2600 or 7800, it should be fine. I`m guessing the 2600 would be fine, but I don`t really have a clue about the 7800.

I recall there being minor differences between the 7800 and CV controllers back when I was modding Genesis controllers for them. My memory is foggy though and I was hoping someone else knew the answer...

I recall there being minor differences between the 7800 and CV controllers back when I was modding Genesis controllers for them. My memory is foggy though and I was hoping someone else knew the answer...

Your best bet would be to plug a Super Action controller and see if it work on 2600, 7800, Genesis

It it work, then the Arcade Controller should work as well

You know, even with the game, I don't know if I could afford $250, though it's tempting ($50 less and I'd probably be in). What might seal the deal, though, would be a bundle with the SGM, controller and the game for some type of packaged price.

If Opcode is willing to make a bundle including the Arcade Controller, I would be agree on my side

Did I miss how the shipping would work with the arcade controller? Does the $250 include the shipping?

Shipping is not included, shipping to USA should be around $35 - $50

Awesome. I wish I could justify it. I would justify it if you modded it to work for the Atari 5200 and Sega Genesis as well. Then I would definitely be in. If I come into some extra money I will be in.

Me too, I'm trying real hard to figure a way to justify this. I REALLY want to pull the trigger, but I would need a bit more of a value-add, like supporting other systems, something. It should work on the 2600, C-64, Atari 8-bit, Amiga, etc., without issue, which is great, but it would be wonderful to be able to use those wonderful extra buttons on other systems. I have a dual X-Arcade, which has adapters for the vast majority of systems 1995+, but it's deficient in classic systems, as in none. What I was going to do was buy the PlayStation adapters for classic systems and convert it in a round-about way using that, but if I could forgoe that and just get this, that would be justification enough.

I'll ask then, is there anything that can be done in the logic and/or with a switch to enable some other system compatibility outside of the ColecoVision? Analog-based systems like the 5200 are clearly out, but having compatibility with native 7800 and Genesis (and, by extension, SMS) stuff at minimum would push it over the top, at least for me...

Great job on this, regardless, by the way...

EDIT: Eek, just saw that shipping (up to $50) is not included. Aargh! Now it has sadly become even harder to justify...

Edited by Bill_Loguidice

I just tested the Arcade Controller with Sega Genesis and it does not work

Only directions, and first button works

Two button Atari 7800 controllers work on the ColecoVision, but I'm not sure it would work in the reverse with your solution. Any way to test that?

EDIT: Sorry, missed the earlier questions and answer. I guess we'll have to wait for someone to get this who also has a 7800.

Edited by Bill_Loguidice

have you guys tested it with a db9 to usb adapter it would be great if it would work on M.A.M.E

http://www.retrousb....&products_id=69

I don't know if J-F has tried this, but I haven't tested it on anything besides a ColecoVision. As mentioned, it's the same circuitry as a standard controller, except with the 3rd and 4th fire buttons added, and it's the same circuitry as a Super Action Controller, except without the spinner. If you compare those two CV controllers on a USB adapter, you'll know the answer.

Well, the inclusion of RollerBall (loose like Coleco provided games with their special controllers, but preferrably CiB) pretty much seals the deal for me. That "nut" of a shipping charge is a tough one to swallow, but maybe these can be driven down to a remote area of the border and passed on to someone in the States to handle shipping!!!

Put me down for a left hander controller like in the pics and video... joystick on the left, buttons on the right.

Edited by NIAD

Well, the inclusion of RollerBall (loose like Coleco provided games with their special controllers, but preferrably CiB) pretty much seals the deal for me. That "nut" of a shipping charge is a tough one to swallow, but maybe these can be driven down to a remote area of the border and passed on to someone in the States to handle shipping!!!

Put me down for a left hander controller like in the pics and video... joystick on the left, buttons on the right.

I don't live that far from the Ambassador bridge linking Detroit and Windsor. I can get a sweet shipping deal via UPS. I'm just curious if a Canadian can cross the bridge into Detroit without being inspected.

I don't live that far from the Ambassador bridge linking Detroit and Windsor. I can get a sweet shipping deal via UPS. I'm just curious if a Canadian can cross the bridge into Detroit without being inspected.

It's not a good idea to cheat the border patrol, at least too much.

From another site, speaking of importing from USA to Canada (but I'm sure the other way around isn't any more fun):

Customs has a new zero tolerance policy. Misdeclaring goods imposes a penalty of $1000 for the first offence, $5000 for second, $25,000 for the third. (for commercial), personal, they will assign you a fine, plus double duty and taxes, plus black list you everytime you come over the border you will get pulled over.

have you guys tested it with a db9 to usb adapter it would be great if it would work on M.A.M.E

http://www.retrousb....&products_id=69

I have one of those and it does work for a colecovision controller but only the directions and fire buttons, the key pad does not work. So I would assume that would be the same with the arcade controller.

Wow that sucks I was just looking and retro zone doesn't look like they have the colecovision to usb kit anymore at all. I bought a few of those but had a lot of trouble trying to get them to work :? I only got one to work out of 5 :_( and retro zone refused to help me with it at all :mad: I wasn't sure if it was my poor skills or retro's stuff or the controllers that I used but I was pretty upset with the hole situation and gave up. I still think I have those things some where.

Edited by RelliK111

From another site, speaking of importing from USA to Canada (but I'm sure the other way around isn't any more fun):

Customs has a new zero tolerance policy. Misdeclaring goods imposes a penalty of $1000 for the first offence, $5000 for second, $25,000 for the third. (for commercial), personal, they will assign you a fine, plus double duty and taxes, plus black list you everytime you come over the border you will get pulled over.

To my knowledge that is only going to Canada not From Canada to the US. Luckily the US doesn't go all crazy with customs fees(in fact we have no custom fees), will at least not yet :lol: Things change here minute by minute with the flakes we have in office :lol:

Edited by RelliK111

To my knowledge that is only going to Canada not From Canada to the US. Luckily the US doesn't go all crazy with customs fees(in fact we have no custom fees), will at least not yet :lol: Things change here minute by minute with the flakes we have in the office :lol:

Could be... with free trade for NA made items (in the least), it's usually just the sales tax we have to pay... what's the "inspection" Yurkie is speaking of, then?

edit: here's some information. After a quick read/skim, it doesn't look too difficult for totals under $2000.

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/sme-pme/e-guide-eng.html

Edited by 5-11under

When you go across the broader into the US they check to make sure your not bringing any illegal goods like Cuban cigars, weed, or anything else that may be legal in other country's, but not in the US. They can also be weird about food sometimes :lol: I have never had a problem with food though. As long as your honest with them you shouldn't have a problem taking that stuff over, although I would just read up on the laws before you go, just because they change all the time. I haven't been back and forth to Canada yet

(planning to do that this summer :-D ) but I have been to Mexico and the Cayman Islands. I have heard that Canada to the US is a little more lax because we have good trading relations

Edited by RelliK111

I would say no on that ;) Evertime you go into this country they always check to see what you are bringing in to the US.

Edited by RelliK111

I have more personal experience with crossing the Mexican border, but I thought the borders had a rather open "wave you thru" attitude. Been a number of years though. 9/11 probably closed things up more.

Could always say @uck it! and "crash the gate" :roll