IGNORED

HSC Round 4.21: T.M.N.T

bigbee99

This is the HSC 4.21

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (World 4 Players)

The famous four turtles fight incredible numbers of bad guys to save April O'Neil and Splinter and to defeat their arch-enemies Krang and The Shredder. Uses the Konami two-and-a-half dimension approach to horizontal scrolling games. All players can join in on the game at any time.

-klov

Game Information

Game Name: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Released By: Konami 1989

MAME ROMset: tmnt

Dip Switches: Lives: 3, Diff: Normal NOTE: These or not Default Settings

Chosen By: JohnnyBlaze

ROM Location: http://romhustler.ne...world-4-players

AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC Record: n/a

Competition ends Sunday, Feb 12 @ 12PM EST

Leaderboard

319 - JohnnyBlaze

203 - bigbee99

174 - Cynicaster

82 - kane

70 - LarcenTyler

48 - jblenkle

43 - roadrunner

39 - patbb

33 - acelkin

21 - M.A.M.E Offender

Season Standings

Calculations through round 20

1. M.A.M.E Offender 368

2. bigbee99 337

3. Cynicaster 311

4. patbb 231

5. mr. toast 166

6. roadrunner 94

7. richard stewart 78

7. kane 78

9. acelkin 69

10. LarcenTyler 56

11. Barra 51

12. kojr 39

12. keilbaca 39

14. JohnnyBlaze 28

15. mightymage 23

16. rmaerz 16

17. retrorussell 15

18. NE146 8

19. onmode-ky 5

20. Fres 1

Edited by bigbee99

No probs, B.

This game came as somewhat of a surprise.

TMNT arcade version was the shit in it's day. A cash register for Konami.

The dice have spoken :P

Talk about a quarter eating MACHINE! You needed at $10 roll just to play it some. I played through it while I was setting everything up and scored like 30 something. That's why I changed the lives. I think most machines were set to 2 lives. That's the way I remember most of the cartoon/comic games being. Not sure if everyone here is as bad at this one as I am, but that extra life will be a blessing. When I have time to figure out/look up the moves again I may be able to set a decent score. I know I was always Donatello when he was open. He has a little more reach if I remember right. So the 1st thing I'm going to do is change the controls to him. I know in Turtles in Time there was a throw move that netted 3 points as apposed to the 1 pint usually generated by simply killing the enemy. I spent more time on the SNES version though.

B

The first time I saw this game was probably in '89 or '90 at a local bowling alley (@MAME-O: remember this game at Bowlero?), and it made my jaw drop. I couldn't believe how much the game looked like the cartoon.

However, even back then, I never thought the game itself lived up to the promise of its graphics. Same goes for X-Men and Simpsons; these games have not aged well with me at all. I was a huge fan of Double Dragon when it came out, so when I first played this game, one thing that I instantly hated about it was the dumbed-down control scheme consisting of a single "attack button" and jump button; to go on the offensive, you just mash that attack button and your character pretty much does what it wants. About the only other things you can do are a "special attack" by pressing both buttons together, and a sloppy jump kick that is performed by leaping in the air and hitting the attack button. That's pretty much it. To this day, I've never understood how anybody could consider this game to be a step up from Double Dragon in the beat-em-up genre; at least the latter allowed me to actually control my character and select what moves I wanted to do. In that respect, I think Final Fight and Streets of Rage on the Genny are far better examples of post-DD beat 'em ups done right.

I think this game came out at a time when arcade games as money makers were seeing a rather sharp decline in general interest. Enter games like TMNT to save the day and provide a much needed boost in revenue--heaven sent franchises that not only allowed the game makers to produce impossibly difficult quarter sucking monsters, but allowed them to fleece up to four youngsters simultaneously.

I'm of the humble opinion that any game should be beatable on a single credit, even if it takes a lifetime of practice to do so. With some of the ridiculous segments you encounter, I really don't think it's humanly possible to achieve that feat on this game, meaning you're forced to empty your pockets if you want to finish it. In some of those boss battles, you'll be reaching in your pocket for another quarter after 10 seconds of play on your previous credit--you don't even stand a chance.

Anyway, I'll give it a go. I've never played this game for score, let's see if that makes it more interesting.

Edited by Cynicaster

I can't even get my version of Mame to recognize the rom. I've been using 0.91.0.0 for quite some time. I decided to move into this century & download MAMEUIFX32 0.141 today, but still isn't 'seeing' it. It's named correctly, tmnt & I grabbed it from the link above. Any ideas?

Chris

I can't even get my version of Mame to recognize the rom. I've been using 0.91.0.0 for quite some time. I decided to move into this century & download MAMEUIFX32 0.141 today, but still isn't 'seeing' it. It's named correctly, tmnt & I grabbed it from the link above. Any ideas?

Chris

Okay. I removed my ROM and got a copy of the ROM in the Link. I didn't have any problems. I am still using wolfMAME.106. Wish I was more help. I know very little about other MAMEs.

B

TMNT - 174

Some things I thought should be mentioned in case they're not obvious to everybody...

This is the 4-player version of the game, meaning the character you use depends on which of the four "coin slots" you use to credit up. Don't quote me on this, but I believe using MAME defaults, the coin-in keys would be: 5=Leo, 6=Mike, 7=Don, 8=Raph. Regardless, if you know your way around MAME, you get the idea--the buttons in question are the ones mapped to the coin-in functions for players 1-4 in whatever configuration you're running. You might think it's redundant to refer to what we're playing here as a "4-player version" but there is also a 2-player ROM available in MAME, which allows you to credit up using a shared "coin slot" and then manually select your character. I'm not sure if there was ever a 2-player cabinet in arcades; maybe that version of the game was created so that the TMNT guts could be sold to arcade operators who wanted to convert a 2-player cabinet they already had in their possession to be TMNT.

Of course, aside from the issue of using the correct "coin slot", you need to map whatever controller you're using to your turtle of choice. As an example, for me to use Donatello on my cabinet, I had to map Player 3 coin-in to my usual Player 1 coin-in button, then I had to map all of the Player 3 controls to my usual Player 1 joystick.

post-27528-0-38096800-1328585681_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cynicaster

To this day, I've never understood how anybody could consider this game to be a step up from Double Dragon in the beat-em-up genre; at least the latter allowed me to actually control my character and select what moves I wanted to do.

I don't know about a step up (it depends on how you look at it). The graphics and sound were incredible for the time though, there was a lot more going on, and the focus on multiplayer is what it had over prior beat 'em ups. I think that's how most people our age tend to remember the game anyway, likewise with X-Men and the Simpsons.

I'm of the humble opinion that any game should be beatable on a single credit, even if it takes a lifetime of practice to do so. With some of the ridiculous segments you encounter, I really don't think it's humanly possible to achieve that feat on this game, meaning you're forced to empty your pockets if you want to finish it. In some of those boss battles,

It's certainly doable. I believe in the XBOX Live Arcade release that came out years back, there's even an achievement for doing so. My advice is focus on using the buttons 1+2 attack for the majority of the game. You kill most enemies in one hit with it.

I have my very own TMNT 4 player cab here at home, it was the very first cab I ever bought about 10 years ago. A few months ago I finished converting it back to TMNT, as it had Puzzle Bobble 2 in it when I got it :? Havn't played it much though, it's not really my kind of game.

post-27306-0-29978900-1328600656_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

To this day, I've never understood how anybody could consider this game to be a step up from Double Dragon in the beat-em-up genre; at least the latter allowed me to actually control my character and select what moves I wanted to do.
I don't know about a step up (it depends on how you look at it). The graphics and sound were incredible for the time though, there was a lot more going on, and the focus on multiplayer is what it had over prior beat 'em ups. I think that's how most people our age tend to remember the game anyway, likewise with X-Men and the Simpsons.
I'm of the humble opinion that any game should be beatable on a single credit, even if it takes a lifetime of practice to do so. With some of the ridiculous segments you encounter, I really don't think it's humanly possible to achieve that feat on this game, meaning you're forced to empty your pockets if you want to finish it. In some of those boss battles,
It's certainly doable. I believe in the XBOX Live Arcade release that came out years back, there's even an achievement for doing so. My advice is focus on using the buttons 1+2 attack for the majority of the game. You kill most enemies in one hit with it.

It can be done. I've done it a few times. The only question is can I do it for this challenge?

If you changed the dip settings to 3 lives and it was giving you 1 life still, the only thing I can think that would cause that would be not restarting MAME via Esc'n out and restarting the game. If that does not work, I have no problems with inserting 3 coins to get your 3 lives.

B

Grrrrr... 172! 2 points short and missed the SS! I cleared the 3rd round. I've got pretty good at passing the 1st stage without the lose of a life but still can't pass the 2nd level with all of my men. Maybe later the weekend I can get back to it.

B

post-3346-0-32694700-1328845307_thumb.png

DAMMIT! So close! I make it through all of that only to die in the FIRST screen of the last level! That fucking robot boss is what did it to me.

Here's a hint though: if you want to rack up points, when you get to Baxter Stockman(the Rat King), don't kill him right away. Rack up some points by killing his creatures. He drops plenty of them, allowing you to get some points. I didn't get too many since I was down to two lives out of three and wanted to try and beat the game on three lives.

BTW, don't laugh. See the credits? I spend almost my WHOLE DAY trying to even get THIS far on three lives....

Edited by JohnnyBlaze