IGNORED

Atari Lynx Homebrew...

AtariLynx Lover

Does anyone have a list of homebrew games in development?

I'm also wondering on the conditions of the games Distant Lands, Ultravore, DragonSaga, and Catacomb Raider.

In addition I was wondering if these games might be published on official Lynx cartridges, or at least a style like Super Fighter Team's Zaku, and how it comes on an 'official-looking' cartridge, everything official looking and all.

Also, I have a blog, I'm DeGamer, the main blogger.

DeGamer Blog

Feel free to visit. Note that any updates on homebrew games will naturally be put on the blog in a new entry.

In addition to Atari Lynx coverage, there's also other video game stuff.

I've strayed to far off topic, now.

So, anyone have homebrew games and status updates? Really curious on the above.

--AtariLynx Lover

Distant Lands and Ultra Vortex are not cancelled afaik, but in development hell; meaning that they are long overdue (by a decade now^^) and while they are still planned to be released eventually, no news have been seen in many years... save for the fact that they are not dead yet.

Catacomb Raider... I don´t know, last I heard was it was in an early stage and that the developer didn´t know if and when he would ever have the time to finish it.

As for "official looking" Lynx cards like Zaku... well, the thing is Super Fighter Team is a real company and Zaku is a commercial release with 300 copies being professionally manufactured in China. That´s why they can put it on a card like that.

But most other homebrews come in much smaller quantities, often hand-soldered by the maker. They are not commercial releases, but really hobby products. Getting the games manufactured professionally is expensive, and the fewer units produced, the more expensive it gets. And sales of 300 are huge for a Lynx game.

Songbird Productions as a commercial company could probably do it, but they don´t sell that many units either I believe.Their products look even less professional than some homebrews packaging-wise.

• Like 1

Thanks all, though I do want modern-day.

Huh, I don´t understand what you mean...

What about new developments in homebrew?

matashen just posted a link to the thread about all Lynx projects for you. That´s all there is atm.

By modern-day, I mean like 2011-2012, not 4 years ago in 2009.

all there? it hasn't been updated since what, 2010 or so?

Well, I´m afraid that is all that has been announced right now. One new announcement will come very soon, but beside that the thread is still pretty much up-to-date.

It´s all hobby projects, so naturally there are not as many games as on a new system. :)

Edited by 108 Stars

Well, I´m afraid that is all that has been announced right now. One new announcement will come very soon, but beside that the thread is still pretty much up-to-date.

It´s all hobby projects, so naturally there are not as many games as on a new system. :)

Well, thats good.

In 2005 when we were working on MegaPak I got some nice minigames that never went to the cart. Some games were released later by the developers like Yastuna 1 & 2. There was also a very nice collection made by Sage that was very enjoyable. I still have it on my PSP as it has an absolutely superb Sudoku on it (and three other games too). According to Sage they were all downloadable from his site already in 2004. But now as I look at the site I cannot find them. This is kind of sad as the cart is a very nice hobby-release.

I wonder if I have the only copy of it? The collection was called Evolution. It has a nice animated menu - round moving block that zooms in and out.

At least I could not find it in the list of unreleased hobby games.

In 2005 when we were working on MegaPak I got some nice minigames that never went to the cart. Some games were released later by the developers like Yastuna 1 & 2. There was also a very nice collection made by Sage that was very enjoyable. I still have it on my PSP as it has an absolutely superb Sudoku on it (and three other games too). According to Sage they were all downloadable from his site already in 2004. But now as I look at the site I cannot find them. This is kind of sad as the cart is a very nice hobby-release.

I wonder if I have the only copy of it? The collection was called Evolution. It has a nice animated menu - round moving block that zooms in and out.

I've never seen or heard from Evolution.. is it possible to share that? As for puzzle games.. Solitaire & Peg Solitaire can also be counted I'd say

There was also a very nice collection made by Sage that was very enjoyable. I still have it on my PSP as it has an absolutely superb Sudoku on it (and three other games too). According to Sage they were all downloadable from his site already in 2004. But now as I look at the site I cannot find them. This is kind of sad as the cart is a very nice hobby-release.

I´m hearing about "Evolution" for the first time. :-o and I thought I have visited almost all sites about the Lynx.

Is there a chance you can upload it or is it still intended to be released on a cart some time?

maybe not as .lnx but as .o files.

and i think one or the other have ended up as bonus game.

at least i had something like 4 bonus games prepared for lynxopoly when matashen decided he has to finish everything the day before yesterday and thus only one was included finally, even so ther was enough space on the cart.

On the Cartridge of the next game there will be enough space for bonus games.

If i fast enough i will show here my new project this weekend.

Sorry sage, i taked a hard deadline for Lynxopoly, and there where some other things that going wrong.

I learned many things about finishing a project, and some things i can organize better with this knowledge.

Regards

Matashen

On the Cartridge of the next game there will be enough space for bonus games.

If i fast enough i will show here my new project this weekend.

Sorry sage, i taked a hard deadline for Lynxopoly, and there where some other things that going wrong.

I learned many things about finishing a project, and some things i can organize better with this knowledge.

Regards

Matashen

Always good to hear new Lynx projects. Even after 20 years, it's still got a community. Though a correction may be that it got a communty... The Atari Lynx rocks.

• Like 1