IGNORED

Places to get C64 homebrew?

Nateo

Up until you said the words "physical form", I would have said CSDB... because most of the homebrew et al are released for free to the community. There aren't a lot of places that sell games, as in sell for money. Aside from Psytronik, the only other places that spring to mind are Protovision, Cronosoft, and the occasional cartridges out of RGCD (which you have to be quick to get).

• 2 weeks later...

64 homebrew? I've always understood homebrew to denote hobbyist software written for systems, like consoles, which aren't end-user programmable. The 64 is ready to program right out of the box, and thus software for it wouldn't fall under that definition.

Homebrew is a term frequently applied to video games or other software produced by consumers to target proprietary hardware platforms (usually with hardware restrictions) not typically user-programmable or that use proprietary storage methods.

64 homebrew? I've always understood homebrew to denote hobbyist software written for systems, like consoles, which aren't end-user programmable. The 64 is ready to program right out of the box, and thus software for it wouldn't fall under that definition.

Your mileage will always vary on things like this, for some people it just means "any software made by hobbyists" (which is how it was originally applied to computers and software, for example the Homebrew Computer Club) and is used interchangeably with "indie" whilst others go to the opposite end of the scale reckoning it's not homebrew unless you etched the cartridge board from scratch and blew the EPROM yourself.

Just in passing, i'm also slightly worried that i write two of the three homebrew review sources that GroovyBee mentioned and have contributed to the third...

Just in passing, i'm also slightly worried that i write two of the three homebrew review sources that GroovyBee mentioned and have contributed to the third...

:lol: I don't visit many review sites, too busy coding ;).

And that's your excuse for stalking me, is it? [smiles sweetly =-]