Photo

Places to get C64 homebrew?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Nateo OFFLINE  

Nateo

Stargunner

• 1,093 posts

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012 10:01 PM

The only site I'm aware of is Psytronik software. Is there anywhere else to pick up the myriad of homebrews released yearly for the C64 in physical form? Thanks!

#2 Mayhem OFFLINE  

Mayhem

River Patroller

• 3,925 posts
  • Commodore Chaos Knight

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012 11:47 PM

Up until you said the words "physical form", I would have said CSDB... because most of the homebrew et al are released for free to the community. There aren't a lot of places that sell games, as in sell for money. Aside from Psytronik, the only other places that spring to mind are Protovision, Cronosoft, and the occasional cartridges out of RGCD (which you have to be quick to get).

#3 Dino OFFLINE  

Dino

River Patroller

• 3,362 posts

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:47 PM

Is there anywhere where you can get homebrew reviews?

#4 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

7800 Developer

• 7,602 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:33 AM

Is there anywhere where you can get homebrew reviews?

Retro Gamer magazine does homebrew reviews if you want them in physical form. For online reviews check out :-

Oldschool Gaming
Retro Gamer CD (RGCD)

#5 Rybags OFFLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 12,163 posts

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:09 AM

http://www.retrogamingtimes.com/ - another review site with a monthly online magazine.

#6 Dino OFFLINE  

Dino

River Patroller

• 3,362 posts

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2012 9:24 PM

Thanks guys!

#7 SpiceWare ONLINE  

SpiceWare

Quadrunner

• 7,970 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012 2:46 PM

64 homebrew? I've always understood homebrew to denote hobbyist software written for systems, like consoles, which aren't end-user programmable. The 64 is ready to program right out of the box, and thus software for it wouldn't fall under that definition.

Homebrew is a term frequently applied to video games or other software produced by consumers to target proprietary hardware platforms (usually with hardware restrictions) not typically user-programmable or that use proprietary storage methods.

#8 TMR OFFLINE  

TMR

River Patroller

• 2,919 posts
  • Beeping the horn on the data bus

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012 5:38 PM

64 homebrew? I've always understood homebrew to denote hobbyist software written for systems, like consoles, which aren't end-user programmable. The 64 is ready to program right out of the box, and thus software for it wouldn't fall under that definition.

Your mileage will always vary on things like this, for some people it just means "any software made by hobbyists" (which is how it was originally applied to computers and software, for example the Homebrew Computer Club) and is used interchangeably with "indie" whilst others go to the opposite end of the scale reckoning it's not homebrew unless you etched the cartridge board from scratch and blew the EPROM yourself.

Just in passing, i'm also slightly worried that i write two of the three homebrew review sources that GroovyBee mentioned and have contributed to the third...

#9 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

7800 Developer

• 7,602 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012 5:46 PM

Just in passing, i'm also slightly worried that i write two of the three homebrew review sources that GroovyBee mentioned and have contributed to the third...

:lol: I don't visit many review sites, too busy coding ;).

#10 TMR OFFLINE  

TMR

River Patroller

• 2,919 posts
  • Beeping the horn on the data bus

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012 6:17 PM

:lol: I don't visit many review sites, too busy coding ;).

And that's your excuse for stalking me, is it? [Smiles sweetly =-]

#11 SpiceWare ONLINE  

SpiceWare

Quadrunner

• 7,970 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012 7:44 PM

how it was originally applied to computers and software, for example the Homebrew Computer Club

Makes sense - guess I've been writing homebrew since 1980 then.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users