IGNORED

Can Atari Falcons still get on the internet?

Sean39

Hey I was wondering

Can a fully loaded Falcon computer get on the internet? I am gatting one with the 14 megs already installed.

Well saving the money to purchase a Falcon computer. I have a friend who has one.

Thanks

Sean

Edited by Sean39

Well, a Falcon can give a nice web experience, actually.

No Flash or Javascript currently, but otherwise you have a good basic web browsing.

You have Highwire, Netsurf, Link, and CAB with various degrees of compliance.

I suggest Netsurf, that is a currently developed multi-platform browser, to be used with MiNT (I don't know if TOS/GEM is suitable, since you need the LAN drivers).

Highwire is also good.

Various e-mail programs give you a good choice, ICQ and IRC are covered, too, and you have two or three solid and functional FTP programs.

The first suggestion is to check what option to choose on the physical side of the connection (EtherNAT, NetUSBee, ...)

Any of the ST/Mega/TT/Falcon systems can get online, even under plain TOS with either serial port access or using something like the EtherNEC for ethernet connectivity. Email, FTP, Usenet, IRC and IM (there is an ICQ client on Atari) are all OK on pretty much any spec machine, though I'd say a 4mb ST with mass storage of some kind (hard disk/SatanDisk/UltraSatan) is the sane minimum. Configuring it can be awkward - but there's a lot of info out there to help you, plus a strong community :)

The bad part is WWW browsing. If you only access simple sites for basic things then it's OK. Project Gutenberg won't test your patience too much, but don't expect to be using Youtube or some flash-o-rama webpage, and do make sure you keep up with the meditation, because patience is needed! You will be pushing any Atari to the limits of both hardware and software when it comes to modern web page rendering in "real time". Turning off the graphics help, but also be concious of what pages are friendly to smaller display resolutions. Few things are more annoying than horizontal scrolling, especially when the system is running slow.

If you can get a CT-6x system with decent graphics (CT-PCI with Radeon, or Supervidel) then you will find life considerably easier in terms of waiting, but flash and funky java scripts will still not work - that's software not hardware.

I like the application of the technology here, but one of the best things about Atari computers is that they DON'T get on the internet. That's the best thing about retrocomputers. I can get a modern piece of shit at Walmart (or online) for cheap that excels at getting online. Getting online isn't even on my list, when it comes to Atari computers. I rather enjoy the fact that they're "offiline." I use my generic el-crappo PC as a bitch to fetch files for my Atari, and to view sites like this so we can discuss Atari. My Atari doesn't seem to mind, and I don't waste its MTBF hours with crap that a Walmart PC is better suited for.

• Like 1

I like the application of the technology here, but one of the best things about Atari computers is that they DON'T get on the internet. That's the best thing about retrocomputers. I can get a modern piece of shit at Walmart (or online) for cheap that excels at getting online. Getting online isn't even on my list, when it comes to Atari computers. I rather enjoy the fact that they're "offiline." I use my generic el-crappo PC as a bitch to fetch files for my Atari, and to view sites like this so we can discuss Atari. My Atari doesn't seem to mind, and I don't waste its MTBF hours with crap that a Walmart PC is better suited for.

Rough, but funny. I like. :)

You are right. I don't mind going to my online bank account with my Falcon, but surely it is good to get a file (FTP or WWW) without running cables or swapping disks :)

I, for one, use often enough AICQ, mymail, aFTP, zweather, GEMdict. But also Netsurf gets its fair share of teh interwebs :)

• 2 years later...