IGNORED

Support New Double Fine Classic Point-and-Click Adventure!

Metal Ghost

www.tinyurl.com/doublekick

Now you can support Double Fine and Tim Schafer "develop Double Fine's next game, a classic point-and-click adventure. Where it goes from there will unfold in real time for all the backers to see."

According to Joystiq, it only took 8 hours and 11 minutes for Double Fine to reach their Kickstarter goal of $400,000 ($300K to make the new game and $100K to support the chronicling of the entire process). As of the time that I post this on AtariAge, total support is now $544,459, and doesn't appear to be slowing down.

For a contribution of $15, You will get "The finished game in all of its awesome glory on Steam, exclusive access to the PC Beta on Steam, access to the video series, and access the private discussion community.". Higher contributions carry with it additional premium rewards.

Even just the $15 contribution is well worth the price in order to experience a new Tim Schafer/Ron Gilbert adventure game. Check out the cool 'feelies' for the higher contribution levels. But that $15 also gets you a back-stage pass into the whole creative/production process that occurrs during game development. And from reading the Kickstarter page (and seeing the video....definitely don't pass by the video, it's hillarious!) this will be a 'real' documentary on the making of this game, well beyond just a vi-doc series.

So check it out!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure/widget/video.html

www.tinyurl.com/doublekick

Now you can support Double Fine and Tim Schafer "develop Double Fine's next game, a classic point-and-click adventure. Where it goes from there will unfold in real time for all the backers to see."

According to Joystiq, it only took 8 hours and 11 minutes for Double Fine to reach their Kickstarter goal of $400,000 ($300K to make the new game and $100K to support the chronicling of the entire process). As of the time that I post this on AtariAge, total support is now $544,459, and doesn't appear to be slowing down.

For a contribution of $15, You will get "The finished game in all of its awesome glory on Steam, exclusive access to the PC Beta on Steam, access to the video series, and access the private discussion community.". Higher contributions carry with it additional premium rewards.

Even just the $15 contribution is well worth the price in order to experience a new Tim Schafer/Ron Gilbert adventure game. Check out the cool 'feelies' for the higher contribution levels. But that $15 also gets you a back-stage pass into the whole creative/production process that occurrs during game development. And from reading the Kickstarter page (and seeing the video....definitely don't pass by the video, it's hillarious!) this will be a 'real' documentary on the making of this game, well beyond just a vi-doc series.

So check it out!

They've already surpassed 600k!

I know, right? It's literally growing by leaps and bounds. The biggest problem I have at this point is deciding how much I'm gong to put in. I really want an autographed poster, but I may have to 'settle' for the $30 level. Either way I'm a winner though!

@Mord: did you watch the video? I cracked up....it was nothing too over the top, but just good'ol Tim Schafer funny.

I'll tell you what: I have a lot of respect for him, now not only as a game designer, but also as a businessman. He's really rolled with the punches in today's business environment. He hasn't been afraid to explore new genres (Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster = licensed, new control method, E rated). And when it became apparent that they at least couldn't only rely on big console title launches, they moved towards more frequent, smaller games with Stacking, Iron Brigade, and heck Double Fine Happy Action Theatre, which he himself states isn't even a game but more of an interactive 'toy'.

The games may not always be your cup of tea, but I'll still give it up to him. He's never pigeon-holed into one type of 'thing'.

Now, using Kickstarter to get back to his roots. Awesome. Realizing that it's certainly not the first time Kickstarter was utilized to fun a game, it is certainly unique given the stature of his studio and the size/magnitude of the project, along wih the whole idea of really professionally documenting the entire process.

and then when the game comes out, no one buys it...

That's the good part: people are already buying it when they kickin at the $15 level. So my understanding is that it's already self-funded. No one else has to buy it.

Here's an update from the project page:

WoooooooooOOOOoooOoOoooOOooo!

UPDATE: We did it! 100% funded in just over eight hours. You people are amazing! But it's not over yet. The number keeps going up and now the question is just how much news do we want to make with this? We're getting a lot of attention already and it seems like this little project could have an impact beyond itself.

All money raised will go to make the game and documentary better. Additional money means it can appear on more platforms, be translated into more languages, have more music and voice, and an original soundtrack for the documentary, and more!

Your backing and comments have been truly inspiring to me and the team, so on behalf of Double Fine and 2 Player Productions I want to say THANK YOU!!!

I can't wait to see where this thing can go!

and then when the game comes out, no one buys it...

At this point it doesn't matter if anyone buys it or not. Those who have pledged 15 dollars or more will be receiving a copy regardless and all the money is already raised. That's the beauty of this model - the financial risk is pretty much removed from the equation.

I like how the video has posters of Secret of Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle, in case all you remeber of his work has been from the past twelve years. Can the man still produce a decent adventure game? I guess we'll see.

I hated Costume Quest. Granted he probably didnt sit down and program it himself I dont think I'm a big fan of the devs he's with.

I do love this concept though. "Pay us directly and we make the game you want"

A nice step in killing off leeching publishers......

I hope this succeeds and apparently it has. Over 1million. Hopefully the game is good!

I feel bad for Tim Schafer because while his games are critically acclaimed, they're poor sellers. You see some major titles like Grim Fandango, Psychonauts, Brutal Legend, etc. get poor sales. There has to be something lost in translation for the general audience or the titles are just too niche. Who knows but he and Double Fine deserve better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok folks, just wanted to post a quick update: with about 11 hours to go, the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter, which had a goal of getting $400K pledged, currently has over $3million in pledges.

Absolutely amazing.

If anyone is interested in this project and hasn't pledged yet, I really recommend you get over there now. For as little as a $15 pledge you get the finished game along with access to the Beta. For an additional $15 you also receive an HD download of the accompanying documentary. Of the almost 80,000 backers most fall within one of these first 2 tiers. Then up from there the additional rewards get even cooler.

Also, if you are a backer but haven't been over to the Kickstarter page in a while (www.tinyurl.com/doublekick) you should go back and check it out, because the rewards have changed and as such you may be interested in upping your pledge. That's what happened with me....I originally pledged $30, but when they through in a boxed copy of the game and blu-ray of the documentary (the box being the same type of design as old school adventure games!) I upped my pledge to that tier. Then since I did that, I found out a couple of days ago that they've added a t-shirt too....sweet!