IGNORED

SOON

high voltage

Chase the Chuck Wagon to me is a bit like Ghostbusters II, I mean is Gb2 an Activision release or a Salu? I reckon CTCW is a Ralston-Purina release

As for Mangia... one day it's gonna be listed in the wrong category a Picturemate just was.

CTCW is undeniably a Spectra release. Ralston Purina may have commissioned them to do it, and given it out as a promotional product, but I wouldn't say they released it. Sounds like you are making excuses to complete your spectra chapter without it ;)

I'm sure enough people saw that Picturemate... I don't know what category it was listed in, but i came across it browsing for atari stuff, and added it to my watch list. $50 is perhaps the cheapest it has gone for to date, but even I now concede that it probably won't retain a rarity number anywhere near 10 from now on.

Edited by nofrills100

CTCW unboxed is cheap on eBay US, 2 on eBay now and a cib for 1000 that'll play havoc with German customs for starters. But unboxed, doable.

As for PictureMate yes it will be dumped on Atarimania as I did SongMate. I'm not like those weird people here 'oh such a rare game can't help the Atari community because of that blah blah' ...

I wonder if PictureMate has an extra instruction sheet like SongMate has?

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 4

I'm not like those weird people here 'oh such a rare game can't help the Atari community because of that blah blah' ...

That's because it didnt cost you $5k to buy it. ;) If you spent $5k on it and it'd drop in value by about $3k-$4k after you released the bin I'm sure you'd sing a different tune.

But you are right - those people who hoard bins are wierd :grin:

Nice snag! I missed bidding on it by about 5 minutes (still haven't signed up for a sniping service).

I guess I am in the camp that doesn't understand not sharing a rare binary. I haven't seen a drop in price at all for the rare 2600 games and yet the bins are readily available. Air Raid, Video Life, River Patrol, Eli's Ladder, Out of Control, etc. still go for several hundred or thousands and the ROMs can be found on many sites out there. It would seem the proof of this argument is in the pudding.

Nice snag! I missed bidding on it by about 5 minutes (still haven't signed up for a sniping service).

I guess I am in the camp that doesn't understand not sharing a rare binary. I haven't seen a drop in price at all for the rare 2600 games and yet the bins are readily available. Air Raid, Video Life, River Patrol, Eli's Ladder, Out of Control, etc. still go for several hundred or thousands and the ROMs can be found on many sites out there. It would seem the proof of this argument is in the pudding.

River Patrol sells for about $500 loose? If the ROM was not available I would guarantee it would sell for 5x to 10x that. Ask CPUWIZ what he bought his Power Lords proto for. I bet he could not sell it today for anywhere near what he paid for it.

The question is not what do they sell for, but how much more would they sell for if the rom wasnt available.

The proof IS in the pudding.

Edited by Dino

River Patrol sells for about $500 loose? If the ROM was not available I would guarantee it would sell for 5x to 10x that. Ask CPUWIZ what he bought his Power Lords proto for. I bet he could not sell it today for anywhere near what he paid for it.

The question is not what do they sell for, but how much more would they sell for if the rom wasnt available.

I'm with Toymailman, I don't see it that way either. Bll Gates owns original Leonardo da Vinci sketchings and he's selling repros for 40 bucks. Doesn't devalue his originals.

CPUWIZ is like Conan, sitting on his throne lonely.

I'd rather share my ROM be it worth $5000 or $50.

Edited by high voltage

What I don't get is if you wanted a rarity so bad that you spent thousands of dollars for it then why would the thought of how much you could sell it for even enter your mind?

The artwork v's videogame value comparison doesn't stand up in my opinion.

Largely because the artwork is a handmade unique object, where the value lies in the artist who created it. On the other hand a video game is essentially reproducable, even down to cartridge and label, and no interest lies in the artist who created it..

Besides - any artwork by DaVinci is well and truely beyond risk of being devalued by anything except damage.

What about this; I have unseen footage of President Kennedy as he was getting shot. Do you think I will get more or less for it from from News Limited after I download it to youtube?

• Like 1

I'm of the same thought as nofrills100 on this subject. To me, the greatest value of a rare cartridge is the ability to play it. If the ability to play it were open to all interested gamers, the value of the original cartridge would plummet and not be very "special" to own anymore. I know it is selfish if someone withheld a super rare game from being dumped because of the affect on its value, but I understand the reasoning behind it, especially if there is thousands of dollars involved.

Edited by Miss 2600

I'm with Toymailman, I don't see it that way either. Bll Gates owns original Leonardo da Vinci sketchings and he's selling repros for 40 bucks. Doesn't devalue his originals.

Why use artwork which is not comparable as a comparison???? Why not look at Atari 2600 games themselves? Look at the before and after price of Atari 2600 games that were dumped. You'll see clearly that the price of a cart falls dramatically after the bin is released. The proof is in the pudding as Toymailman has said,

Why not start buying all the unreleased protos that come up for $5k a pop and start releasing the bin if you feel the cart wont drop in value??

You may feel comfortable releasing the bin for a game you bought for $50, but I doubt you would ever pony up $5k for a cart and release the rom. ;)

BTW, CPUWIZ DID make the bin available. He sold a run of repros to anyone who cared to play the game.

Why use artwork which is not comparable as a comparison???? Why not look at Atari 2600 games themselves? Look at the before and after price of Atari 2600 games that were dumped. You'll see clearly that the price of a cart falls dramatically after the bin is released. The proof is in the pudding as Toymailman has said,

Why not start buying all the unreleased protos that come up for $5k a pop and start releasing the bin if you feel the cart wont drop in value??

You may feel comfortable releasing the bin for a game you bought for $50, but I doubt you would ever pony up $5k for a cart and release the rom. ;)

BTW, CPUWIZ DID make the bin available. He sold a run of repros to anyone who cared to play the game.

I only started collecting in 2006 and probably by then all the ROMs that are available now were already available. Maybe that is why I have not seen much change. However, if the cart price has dropped then I stand (or sit in this case) corrected.

What did a game like Atlantis II sell for prior to the ROM being available? I think now it is in the $1k-$2k range depending on condition and associated paperwork. I imagine it must have been $5k or more?

I'm with Toymailman, I don't see it that way either. Bill Gates owns original Leonardo da Vinci sketchings and he's selling repros for 40 bucks. Doesn't devalue his originals.

I reckon my comparison with art is valid, ok take the White Album or Sergeant Pepper, some prints of those are valuable, some are not.

As for drop in value no way, Air Raid cart is going up and up. cib even more.

Unless of course, the REAL value is becoming more common. Which would be of course, only right.

Edited by high voltage

ok take the White Album or Sergeant Pepper, some prints of those are valuable, some are not.

Ok - Sergeant Pepper - three scenarios

1. say there was only a first edition pressing made, nothing subsequently - you'd have to admit they would be more valuable than what the first edition pressing sells for now.

2. say there wasn't even an official pressing made just a bunch of promos sent out to reps and stations - you'd have to admit that a promo pressing would be worth more than scenario 1

3 say there was no pressing, just a single master copy of the recording session - you'd have to admit it would more valuable than both scenario 1 & 2

Therein lies your answer

(of course this is all hinged on the Beatles becoming as successful as they did had they not released Segeant Pepper at all - but that is irrelevant here as the success of the picturemate was evidently a non-event and it was still initially highly sought after until recently)

Regarding point 2 exactly you are right: a promo is valuable a copy of a promo not, a original Eli's Ladder instructions is, a copy of the instructions is not

Regarding point 1: a 1st (and only) release of PictureMate is valuable, the dumping it on AM is not.

On the other hand re-releases can be worth even more than an original as seen with Hangman.

I can understand someone not releasing a bin if they plan on reselling the game but if they plan on keeping the game for life what benefit do they gain by preserving it's economic value? If I bought a rare game I would plan on keeping it for life. I can't think of a single benefit I would gain from not releasing the bin but I can think of benefits I would gain from releasing it. If I released it then I gained the benefit of decreasing the chances of theft(because of lower economic value), I gained the respect of people who want to try it out, I gained the benefit of preserving a bin by making it less rare, I gained the benefit of others studying the code and discovering interesting facts.... Anyway, any unreleased bin that comes into my hands will eventually be released and ROM Hunter would get first dibs. I don't care how much I paid for it. It would be released.

• Like 3

I can understand someone not releasing a bin if they plan on reselling the game but if they plan on keeping the game for life what benefit do they gain by preserving it's economic value? If I bought a rare game I would plan on keeping it for life. I can't think of a single benefit I would gain from not releasing the bin but I can think of benefits I would gain from releasing it. If I released it then I gained the benefit of decreasing the chances of theft(because of lower economic value), I gained the respect of people who want to try it out, I gained the benefit of preserving a bin by making it less rare, I gained the benefit of others studying the code and discovering interesting facts.... Anyway, any unreleased bin that comes into my hands will eventually be released and ROM Hunter would get first dibs. I don't care how much I paid for it. It would be released.

Amen brother, i couldnt have said it better!!!!!

Scott