IGNORED

Jaguar CD Repair

I need help I know that this has been discussed before

I bought a jag cd Unit powers on and starts up

The laser pulses and tries to read but will not spin

I also tried the platter fix but it is turning freely

I fear it may need a laser transport

If it does will this work

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2906666754261?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290666675426&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

any other Ideas than to replace that, I mean a dirty lens couldnt cause it to not spin could it I dont have a lens cleaner here

If that wont work can someone get me a link to one that would

If anything, try carefully using the Q-Tip with isopropyl alcohol on the lead that goes into the cartridge loader of the Jaguar base unit itself and clean it thoroughly. It could also be that there might be minor corrosion and dirt on the lead. Also, if you intend to store your Jaguar in between times when you aren't playing it, you will have to take the CD unit off of the base. This is so the lead doesn't oxidize and cause more dirt and corrosion. Once it's clean and if the laser lens does need to be cleaned on it (I would clean both parts of the CD unit myself), it might work. If it doesn't work after thorough cleaning, then you might have to consider replacing the optical pickup. But, that is in extreme cases. Bear in mind this is almost twenty-year-old technology. I am sure it would need to be cleaned sooner or later anyway. I once had a Jag CD player last twelve years before it died. :)

Also, if you do need to replace the optical pickup, Google "atari jaguar cd repair". There is a website run by a guy named Graeme Hinchliffe. He can give you a step-by-step idea on how to repair a Jag CD unit by replacing the optical pickup. Pretty good stuff. I am thinking about getting a optical pickup myself to see if I can resurrect the CD unit that died after twelve years, which I still possess. :D

Well, a lot of Atari Jaguar CD units did not pass quality control and some were not perfectly engineered as a result. You might have received one of those defective CD units, but I am not sure of that really. If worse comes to worse, you may need to solder the optical pickup yourself. I saw the eBay item and you are right. They only show the package it is in. Nothing more. It could be anything. I know of two places at least that sell the VAM1202/M optical pickup, the part you may need to replace. One place is Dalbani.com in Florida. But, they are sold out right now. There is another place that sells the same product called Cricklewood Electronics. It is located, though, in London, United Kingdom. I don't have their web site URL in front of me, but they can easily be found via a Google search. Sorry. I wish I could be of more help. I hope this is useful.

Edited by jericho_21

I need help I know that this has been discussed before

I bought a jag cd Unit powers on and starts up

The laser pulses and tries to read but will not spin

I also tried the platter fix but it is turning freely

I fear it may need a laser transport

If it does will this work

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2906666754261?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290666675426&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

any other Ideas than to replace that, I mean a dirty lens couldnt cause it to not spin could it I dont have a lens cleaner here

If that wont work can someone get me a link to one that would

Make sure the CD is clean and make sure to try it first with an original Atari CD for the CD player.

when i opened i noticed the cd had no door switch rod when i opened it, I have been playing with the switch it spun one about 1/2 a turn I cannot get it to spin again If i play with the switch it tries to read no spin. if i play with it enough it resets the system and the laser ticks any ideas how is this switch supposed to work?

Have you tried inquiring Best Electronics? They are located in California. I know it would be costly for a full-fledged re-conditioning of the CD unit, but the person who owns that business, Bradley Koda, has been in the Atari business for almost thirty years and maybe he has some ideas on how to help you. I am not saying you should send it in to him for repairs, but maybe he has some ideas on how to get the switch rod replaced. Maybe, he has a replacement switch rod that you can get from him and you can do a DIY repair? I am not so sure for that would be a long shot. Anyway, here is the URL for that business:

If he can't help you outright, maybe he might be able to steer you in the right direction.

update installed new laser assembly and mechanism tested without top on at first and it didnt work the first time after a reset it worked fine and I was listening to iron maiden i screwed it back together and tried it i think the spindle was too close to the laser and was scraping (could have been on the lid) I cannot get it to work now, tries 3-4 times never speeds up fully. any ideas I really hope it didnt wreck this new laser already. Im sure im not the first one to have this happen

• 2 weeks later...

When you replaced the mechanism in the CD unit did you put a atari jaguar original cd in or did you just throw a audio cd in.Becouse you may want to try a original atari jaguar track so it will set the laser tweak correctly im out of idea's i have read this whole post and it seems you have put alot of effort into this just remember when repairing the unit after you are done try useing a original jaguar cd first before any other audio cd .Good luck bro keep us updated.

• 4 months later...

Yep thats a great sign if the VLS is playing with the audio cd then all should be good.What i would do to fully test the jag cdrom is go and burn a jaguar cd iso and play it in the unit a good place to get jaguar iso's are here. Also i found that memorex and TDK cdr's are good cdr's to burn with just make sure you use CDR'S not CDRW.So try that and update us let us know if the jag cd works :)^^ Hope this helps.

[link removed]

Yep thats a great sign if the VLS is playing with the audio cd then all should be good.What i would do to fully test the jag cdrom is go and burn a jaguar cd iso and play it in the unit a good place to get jaguar iso's are here. Also i found that memorex and TDK cdr's are good cdr's to burn with just make sure you use CDR'S not CDRW.So try that and update us let us know if the jag cd works :)^^ Hope this helps.

Wow thanks didn't know I could burn games.