IGNORED

Your favorite version of a game (other than the arcade version)?

So, I was thinking, we love and cherish so many classic arcade games. However, often our fist experience with a specific title isn't with the original arcade version

either becuase we were to young or simply never came across the arcade original. Or sometimes, like in my case , I simply got a version on console so played it

a lot. For my example, my favorite version of Mr. Do! was the Colecovision version and to this day it is not only my favorite colecovision game but my favorite version

of it as well, it may not have been better, it may have been inferior to the arcade or many other ports but it is my personal favorite version I chose over all others. Also, I played a LOT. Also my favorite version of Pac Man would be the Shareware version on Amiga called PAC MAN DELUXE because again I owned it, played it a LOT and I loved the changes and enhancements over the original. So here is my question to all of you : What is your favorite version of any arcade game other than the original arcade?

Answers can include ports, console versions, computer versions, PD, shareware, web browser flash game etc.

For the record, I ask this as over the years I have discovered many great games that I enjoyed more then the arcade original and would always be interested

to play a version a might have missed.

Good topic idea!

I could list a ton of games, since I generally do prefer the console version of most games. But I'll try to restrict myself to one per system.

Bump 'n' Jump: Intellivision

Pac-Man: Atari 5200

Turtles: Odyssey2

Galaga: Turbografx-16 (OK, it's Galaga '90, but still...)

Berzerk: Atari 2600

Asteroids: Atari 7800

Lady Bug: Colecovision (with the 2600 version close behind)

Tempest: Jaguar

• Like 1

I always liked the atari 8-bit version of joust. It didn't look good, but everything moved well. I'd rather play it over the arcade any day.

Contra. I doubt the NES port of it has ever been 'overlooked.' Still, if the arcade version plays anything like the emulators say, I'll take the NES version too.

And Dreamcast did wonderful things for adding depth and replay value San Francisco Rush 2049 without it ever feeling 'padded out.' Not bad on soul calibur either, but it didn't manage to avoid that second bit as well as Rush did.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

There's a number of NES games.

Contra, for sure, Reaperman said. Konami really expanded and added on to the game for the NES version.

Super C (Super Contra) also.

Jackal

Astyanax

TMNT 2: The Arcade Game

Super Mario Brothers

Gradius

For Atari 2600 games:

Space Invaders

Pac-Man

Defender

SNES games:

Gradius 3

TMNT 4: Turtles in Time

• Like 2

Galaga '90 for the TG-16. Never played or saw the original arcade until probably 15 years after its release. The TG-16 version is superb.

Super Breakout for the 2600. I don't *think* I've ever played this in the arcade. If I did, it was too many beers ago and I can't remember. lol Playing the arcade today on a 60-in-1 or MAME, I'm not impressed with it at all. 2600 version blows them away.

Intellivision's Burgertime. My friend back in the day, had an INTV and this game. We played the living snot out of it. I was familiar enough with the arcade back then, but still preferred the Intellivision version. Do to this day.

Tempest 2000 for the Jaguar, definitely over the comparatively "dull" arcade original. And I say that tongue-in-cheek of course. T2K is pure genius for what it is though.

SNES NBA Jam T.E. or maybe I'm just thinking the original NBA Jam - just something about the gameplay on the SNES that made the game more fun and accessible to me. I liked the slightly smaller characters of the SNES version.

TI Invaders for the TI-99/4A... this would be the definitive home version of the classic coin op for me. Can't say it's "better" than the arcade, but damn is it nearly as good and its bonus saucer ship round really adds a different dimension to an already great game. That said, I'd rather play TI Invaders than that newer Taito Space Invaders/Qix cabinet out there. All they did was shove a 25" color monitor into a cheapened cabinet - just as Namco did with Pac-Man/Galaga/Ms. Pac-Man. Space Invaders is not Space Invaders without the "3D" artwork and mirror projection of the arcade original IMO.

Maybe someone can help me out with this one. Haven't played it in years, but it was an assembly language Centipede/Millipede clone for the TI that I used to load from tape into my Mini-Memory cartridge. Atarisoft's Centipede for the TI is masterful on its own, but this enhanced version was friggin' incredible. Anyone know what game I'm talking about? Would love to get it back again... on tape. (pretty sure it was NOT called TI-pede or anything stupid like that - lol)

Speaking of the TI, Munchmobile is a game I used to get some decent enjoyment out of. Never really knew it was an arcade game back in the day, just thought it was kind of a cool (or different anyway) "original" TI game.

Oh and absolutely cannot forget TI's Blasto! My friend and I (the one that had an Intellivision) would play this for hours on end. Pretty much a Bomberman meets Combat type of game that never seemed to get old.

Loco-Motion for the Intellivision. I never played the arcade original, but yeah... I know I'd still like the INTV version better. ;)

I played me lots of Reactor in the arcade and while the 2600 version is pretty good, you really do need an analog roller controller to play this properly. Same with Missile Command, albeit to a lesser extent. You get used to both and both are extremely playable, which is why I mention them here.

Really not too many home versions of games I'd consider "superior" to their arcade counterparts, but there are some incredible translations and efforts out there. Dreamcast's Rush 2049 deserves honorable mention. The stunt tracks totally made that game for me (to this day) and if those were NOT a part of the arcade game, I'd definitely say the home versions were better then.

Had Medieval Mayhem been released around the time of Warlords, I'd definitely go with the former. The new-ish Gunfight homebrew for the 2600 is also another kick ass release for what it is, but I was pretty familiar with the arcade version as we happened to have that at home throughout the late 70's and 80's.

Edited by save2600
  • Like 1

I agree with some others about Galaga '90 on the TG, but the Turbo version of R-Type is pretty awesome, too.

Well both those games are pretty darn close to their original arcade versions. So it's almost like liking the same game. :P

For me, I really like the 2600 version of Ms. Pacman. Of course I like the arcade version and am pretty good at it, but the 2600 version just has a certain charm that clicks in my brain. I even like the mazes. Maybe it was the utter surprise of when I first played it as a kid that it was actually a good home version of Pacman on my Atari. :lol:. Anyway, I still like playing it today.

Someone mentioned the 8-bit version of Joust. I too prefer the 5200 version of Joust over the arcade for a number of reasons. It's easier to fly, the ceiling is bouncy (makes for great kill stunts), and the overall esthetic is more pleasing, at least to me.

NES Contra.. of course.

5200 Space Dungeon to me is more playable than the difficult arcade version.

I also think if I had a regular choice between playing the arcade version of Crystal Castles vs. the 2600 version, I'd choose the 2600 version.

• Like 1

I think I'm a bit of an oddball in that I have always viewed arcade versions of games to be the premium experience and absolute final word, with 2600 Space Invaders being the only possible exception I can think of.

I suppose I enjoyed 2600 Asteroids as well, and it's the only home version I can stomach for more than 30 seconds. I know they have a nice "3D" version for the 7800, but for me it's still a huge step backwards because the original vector graphics are absolutely perfect.

I always found that pre-16-bit consoles were at their best with original (non-arcade) games.

• Like 1

I think I'm a bit of an oddball in that I have always viewed arcade versions of games to be the premium experience and absolute final word, with 2600 Space Invaders being the only possible exception I can think of.

Dreamcast "Soul Calibur" is a technical improvement over the arcade. Unless you're specifically referring to the "classic" consoles... 16-bit and earlier.

• Like 1