Photo

Strange problem with my original Xbox

2 replies to this topic

#1 MagitekAngel OFFLINE  

MagitekAngel

River Patroller

• 2,152 posts

Posted Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:24 AM

I have an original Xbox that I acquired about a year ago that has been working fine up until now. About a month ago, I woke up to find the thing on, even though I hadn't touched it in about a month and nobody else who lives here would ever turn it on. I thought nothing of it at the time.
Tonight, I wanted to play the thing, but the power switch would not work. So naturally, I tried the disc tray eject button, and the thing powered on. However, when I put a disc in and closed the tray, the Xbox powered off! I repeated and encountered the exact same problem every time I closed the tray. I can't keep the damn thing on and load a disc at the same time.

Does anybody know what exactly is going on here? I have not modded this console, and as far as I can tell, the previous owner did not, either.

#2 Hyper_Eye OFFLINE  

Hyper_Eye

River Patroller

• 2,732 posts
  • IDSPISPOPD

Posted Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:53 AM

This is caused by trace corrosion. I wouldn't say it is a common problem but it does happen with some Xbox boards. Typical symptoms are the power button not working, the unit powering on by itself when plugged in, the unit shutting off after an indeterminate amount of time. You can see a guide to fixing the issue as well as some good pictures of the culprit traces here: http://forums.llamma...pic.php?t=12329

Here is another version: http://forums.llamma...pic.php?t=12694

I've had this issue with only one of the many Xbox's I've had and I was able to repair it at practically no cost. I don't believe I used that guide though. I used a conductive pen instead. It worked but bypassing the traces is better if you can do it.

#3 R.Cade OFFLINE  

R.Cade

Moonsweeper

• 484 posts

Posted Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:52 AM

I've had this happen to a couple of the units I've picked up over the years. Is it corroded traces as mentioned above. The repair is not terrible, but you need some soldering experience. They are pretty cheap now, though, so you may just want to harvest parts and pick up a 1.6.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users