IGNORED

The Atari 5200: Why bother?

krypton85

I almost bit and picked up a 5200 for my collection this year. I was an Atari 8bit computer fan as a kid, and wanted to get new hardware to play some of my favorites (Star Raiders, Fractalus, Ballblazer to name a few). After doing the research on the system, I decided to pass precisely because of the controller upkeep/maintenance/replacement issues. My original Colecovision still is pounding away, and I've never had to replace my controllers. So now for those great 8bit Atari games I'm searching for an XEGS or XL model.

I totally respect modern 5200 owners, for their dedication to keep their systems up and running. I just don't have that kind of time to tinker with my consoles to keep them up and running.

Thank you, seriously. Some of us grew up with the 5200, some of us had the 8-bit computer line, so I think the owners of each just have an ingrained nostalgic favoritism towards either one. There seems to be a lot of 400/800 owners who just can't accept that people would rather have the 5200 and continually spam 5200 threads.

I don't have any Atari computer, so I don't visit the 8-bit forums, but are all the threads there filled with 5200 fans trying to convince everyone that the 5200 is superior? Serious question.

I don't have any Atari computer, so I don't visit the 8-bit forums, but are all the threads there filled with 5200 fans trying to convince everyone that the 5200 is superior? Serious question.

I'm only on two such forums. The 5200 is rarely (if ever) mentioned. Really, it's kind of ignorant trying to say owning a 5200 is a waste or unnecessary if you have a 400/800. Why not go one step further? I say that owning an atari computer is a waste if you have a modern pc that can run an emulator. The 5200 is just an atari computer without a keyboard? Ok, then an atari computer is just a modern pc without all that annoying speed and memory. Blahblahblahblah... :twisted:

• Like 1

Really, it's kind of ignorant trying to say owning a 5200 is a waste or unnecessary if you have a 400/800. Why not go one step further? I say that owning an atari computer is a waste if you have a modern pc that can run an emulator. The 5200 is just an atari computer without a keyboard? Ok, then an atari computer is just a modern pc without all that annoying speed and memory.

I'm supportive of the point I think you're trying to make, but this isn't an especially good analogy. In comparing the 400/800 computer series and the 5200, we're comparing what are in effect two "flavors" of the exact same system. Any differences between them are much narrower than the differences between either one of them and a modern PC.

Here's how I attempted to deconstruct the relationship between the 400/800 and the 5200, and the complex perceptions and controversies that surround both systems, in an earlier thread:

peaking metaphorically, the 5200 is really two "systems," one inside the other. I think a lot of the disagreement around it comes from confusing or conflating the two, so it's important to keep in mind which "system" we're talking about.

On the one hand, there is the 6502 and Atari's integrated GTIA/POKEY/ANTIC chipset. That's the innermost "system," and I think it's one of the best Atari ever created. I got to know it first through the Atari 400/800 computers, which I've used since the early 80s and which are based on the exact same chips. When its fans tout the merits of the 5200, they often point to its impressive graphics and sound capabilities, or to the arcade-quality games in its library, and this is the system they're really talking about when they do so. They're right to say that it's a good one.

On the other hand, there's the outermost "system" which Atari built around the innermost when they created the 5200: the console design, the cartridge port, the controllers, and the other elements that are specific to the 5200. When detractors talk about the 5200's shortcomings, that's the system they're usually talking about. I won't go over the issues I have with it because we all know what they are already; they've been discussed ad nauseum for years.

This distinction matters because the "innermost system" is common to both the 5200 and the 400/800 computers, which makes it easier for people to avoid the problems of the 5200's "outermost system" by simply playing its games on the 400/800 instead. I think this creates an unfortunate negative bias in the common perception of the 5200: to put it crudely, the 5200 has to "share the credit" with the 400/800 machines for most of its positives, but it takes the full blame for all of its negatives.

Having said all that, I still don't regret investing in a 5200 collection, because I find a lot to enjoy in what the 5200 has to offer.

• Like 3

I'll agree that the 5200 is not for everyone, but no one is forcing anyone to buy/play one. I prefer the 5200 over A8 for certain games, and also vice versa for a few. The library is short, but packed with popular titles and provides a different feel to the same old games.

• Like 1

Yeah already posted all I need to say but now after several response I want to add:

I admit I was definitely wary before jumping into 5200 territory especially after everything I had heard. For me though it was the thrill of owning an Atari console that throughout it's history and back when it was on the market, I only ever had brief encounters with it. Don't recall ever even seeing a retail display, a friend of mine's dad owned it but it was a case where nobody could even think of playing it (pretty sad) so I was always curious about it. Never owned one back in the day of course so any commercial or ad in a catalog instantly drew me in. What little I did see of it back then impressed me with the graphics, the look of the console (wow it's the Cadillac of consoles!) it all seemed magical. Of course like most my collection choices I researched a LOT before picking it up so I was well aware of what many did not like about it. Not being the most technical person I picked up a gold - refurbed controller form BEST ELECTRONICS and got a beautiful condition 4 port model from a member here looking and working great. I admit the first few games I tried the controller really threw me off but when I got used to how it worked I improved a lot. Sure it has it's faults but then I love my CDi and 3DO also lol. Certainly it is not a must own console but I don't regret the investment and ould do it over again, I can see why some really like it too. It won't win over anyone who has already made the decision I guess but I think anyone should give it a chance if they never experienced it.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

Gets old, saying every few months....

The a8 is a computer. You sit at a desk and use it. With sio2pc, a disk drive, monitor.....

The 5200 is a console. You throw it on the carpet, slap in an Atarimax cart, feet up and play.

If you can't handle the controls, get Wicos, build a masterplay type device (or buy one).

It could take patience and be expensive to get a working controller or other option, but it's worth it if you like Atari games.

• Like 1

The a8 is a computer. You sit at a desk and use it. With sio2pc, a disk drive, monitor..... The 5200 is a console. You throw it on the carpet, slap in an Atarimax cart, feet up and play. If you can't handle the controls, get Wicos, build a masterplay type device (or buy one). It could take patience and be expensive to get a working controller or other option, but it's worth it if you like Atari games.

Well said.

This is true as well, HOWEVER it seems like the tide is turning a bit so to speak. In the past there didn't seem to be much love for ol Pam. These discussions wouldn't yield much in the way of any defense for the 5200. This thread, though (supposedly) light-hearted, shows that the haters are outnumbered by those who've actually played the system and/or given it a chance and grown to love it. THAT is worth seeing imo.

• Like 3

The a8 is a computer. You sit at a desk and use it. With sio2pc, a disk drive, monitor..... The 5200 is a console. You throw it on the carpet, slap in an Atarimax cart, feet up and play. If you can't handle the controls, get Wicos, build a masterplay type device (or buy one). It could take patience and be expensive to get a working controller or other option, but it's worth it if you like Atari games.

Well said.

This is true as well, HOWEVER it seems like the tide is turning a bit so to speak. In the past there didn't seem to be much love for ol Pam. These discussions wouldn't yield much in the way of any defense for the 5200. This thread, though (supposedly) light-hearted, shows that the haters are outnumbered by those who've actually played the system and/or given it a chance and grown to love it. THAT is worth seeing imo.

I have grown to love brussel sprouts an liver - but that is only because they're healthy. The 5200 is just too awkward. A system without a firm niche like the Sega 32x. That being said, snagging a wico and a flash cart may change my mind. Good advice!

I'll take my 4 port over any system made since the 5200. Sure I have most of them, but the 5200 is king in my book.

Love the games, Love the controller, and love the look of the console.

Sure things have come along way...If you like having to press multiple buttons at the same time and endless memorization of those combinations for moves thats fine... I dont.

I too wonder why 400/800 guys come and bash us in our forum.. Ive been on this forum roughly a year and have never even thought about venturing over there. Heck, I havent even posted in the 2600 section yet..

Again... I'll take my 4 port... If you dont like your 5200 send it my way :)

Edited by peedenmark7

Here is my two cents:

I still have my original 5200 from the summer of 1983 with the PacMan pack-in and I've never had an issue with the console or controllers.

Mario Bros and Joust are better on the 5200 than any other console. Just play Vanguard or Qix and you will fall in love with the 5200.

Last point: I'm happy that the 5200 is large and bulky because it survived the wrath of Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

But I'm not tying to convince anyone........... ;)

• Like 2

Hey I'm glad there are people who love the console. If I find one in the wild I'll give it a go, I'm an Atari fan, no doubt, hands down. :)

That's certainly fair enough. I never had any interest in the system until I came across one at a yard sale a few years ago. SInce then, it's surprised the hell out of me by becoming one of my favorite consoles. :-)

I like the A8 computers and such, but the 5200 is just a great system in my opinion. It looks good, the large carts have nice art and are hard to lose. (Yes, I have had A8 carts get dropped behind something and do ninja vanish until I pull the place apart). Also, in my area, it is near impossible to find A8 carts! If you do, everyone acts like an 'eBay expert' and wants alot for them. Most of my 5200 carts were found in the wild for $5 or less, the same price being asked for used NES and SNES carts around here. I've found better deals as well. I agree the controllers can have issues, but I have two working ones that do fine as long as I don't ignore them too long. Once I get in the groove, they are fun controllers. I can play Pac-Man fairly well by sort of steering the joystick about the outside of its axis. I did that so much for a while that I fumbled with the regular digital sticks! :-D Not that I last long on any Pac-man game. :roll:

Edited by simbalion

• 1 year later...

There is no question that owning a 5200 is a labor of love. I had one back in the day. I loved it. I logged many hours on it. My parents bought it, because they loved the 2600. They wanted to give the family the second gen. The thought was the 2600 would fade away, and the 5200 would be the king. The logic would be lost on a company with no logic.

Would I be in love with the 5200 as an adult, if I did not have one as a kid? I think I would still like it over the other options. I was not impressed by Intel. I liked the Coleco, but I was an "Atari Kid". I loved all things Atari, and drove people nuts about it. When working, the controllers are better than those other 2 system's controllers. Something people always overlook.

I just got another one, as an adult. I knew the deal. I'll end up with bad controllers, the console is huge, etc. Bad controllers is a cop-out (today), as there are countless mods. If you are lazy, you can get the aftermarket controllers (like me), or the Best Elec's. I don't care that it is dooky huge, or how the power supply works. Today, it is not that hard to get a system together for under $100, like I did. That includes 2 Wico's. I dropped the cash on an Atarimax however.

As for games, there are a ton of them. Even though there are less that 100 games released, most of them were quality releases. There were updated 2600 games, wonderful arcade ports, and some good third party titles. The ratio of games, and quality is very high for this system.

As always everything written is my opinion...

you are better off with a nintendo and one of those aftermarket quickshot joysticks

i only have one now cause ive had it like 20 years and rebuild my controllers a few times made a few joysticks adapted a few joysticks

i dont even have a flash cart i should since if you think about it its only like $1 a game over the cost of the cart heck i paid more than that for soccer and dont even think ive had it in my machine

Maybe nobody "needs" a 5200, but it is an awesome system to have. The console looks great, I consider its size a huge plus, and its carts just feel and look great.

This was my "holy grail." I never had one back in the day, and once I started collecting Atari stuff outside the 2600, it was the last gaming system I found in the wild. Heck, I found an XEGS before I found a 5200.

Fortunatley, I immediatley got a Wico controller while it was still possible. Only recently did I get the keypad to go with it.

For me, it's not just the games, it's also the hardware. That's why emulators will never do. And that's why for me, playing a game on a 5200 or playing a game on an 8-bit "feels" different. I say this having a 600XL and an 800XL, and only recently a 400 - and I've been using the 400 a lot lately.

While a lot of the 5200 and 8 bit games are the same, I know some differences:

= PacMan has the intermissions.

= Pengo seems to play better on the 5200.

= Ms Pac-Man seems to play better on the 8 bit. It's smoother, don't know why.

= And I'm not sure, but isn't Centipede on the 5200 very different from the 8 bit version?

The 5200 is just a sexy beast that is so worth owning.

P.S. As I said, never had a 5200 back then. Probably the most I ever saw it was in the Cloak & Dagger movie. My family went from 2600 to Colecovision to Nintendo, where I lost interest.

Yes, the console is "big." But I can't see how that could be a strike against the system or a reason not to have one.

Edited by Brian R.
  • Like 1

I had one of these as a kid, but we got it right before the nintendo came out, then all my friends had NES, and I was the kid with the shitty system that no one wanted to play. Maybe it's long lost pent up anger from dealing with that... icon_smile.gif

Nintendo wasnt really great for about a year,christmas 85 nobody really was interested

I had a 400 & 800 prior to getting a 5200. I looked forward big time to when the 5200 was going to come out. But I was disappointed to learn it was a 400 without a keyboard.

There's no denying it's a monster-sized console that still manages to look very modern and futuristic today. If I get the time I'd like to gut the innards of one and build a media center PC into it.

Right now I got my like-new 400 sitting next to my 5200.

It's an interesting comparison. Take the bulge off the 400, and it's shaped a lot like the 5200. Make the 400 black and the comparison would be even more interesting.

It's even more interesting knowing the 5200 is, as often said, a 400 without the keyboard. But with the 400 having that membrane keyboard, and mainly used for cart games, in function they are both the same.