Photo

HSW talking about ET and his involvement in a movie about it

42 replies to this topic

#26 townparkradio OFFLINE  

townparkradio

Moonsweeper

• 300 posts

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:19 AM

Considering that "technique" is "go sideways out of the pit" it's not hard to master in the first place.

That works for most wells, but it's not always the best thing to do:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh4U3BwlTcY&list
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh4U3BwlTcY&list

You are correct good sir. I would better sum my technique up as "Make sure there's no well edges under your feet when you leave". But still point is it's not that hard. Hopping the guys at the end of Jungle Hunt is harder. Getting through the marshmellow man's legs is harder. There's a lot of things on the 2600 that are way harder than the pits, lol.

Edited by townparkradio, Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:20 AM.

#27 SoulBlazer OFFLINE  

SoulBlazer

River Patroller

• 3,891 posts

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:23 AM

I don't recall seeing anything in print about ET sucking, either, but my parents refused to buy me the game cause they had 'heard' that it sucked. So it may not have been written down, but word of mouth about the game was DEFENTILY out there.

As for the AVGN, personaly, I don't like most of his videos either (with a few exceptions) mostly due to the swearing and the over the top tirades that he does. But I understand that I'm not in the group of people he directs the videos to. Not everyone seems to understand that it's just a character, though. He doesn't care about getting the facts right, he's doing it for attention. Those of us who wish things were more factural and curse him for spreading false information, but that's not what he cares about in his videos. Problem is, most people who watch his stuff probaly don't realize that. :ponder:

#28 ZylonBane OFFLINE  

ZylonBane

River Patroller

• 3,369 posts

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:30 AM

So it may not have been written down, but word of mouth about the game was DEFENTILY out there.

DEFENTILY!

(sorry, I know I shouldn't pick on the non-native English speakers)

#29 SoulBlazer OFFLINE  

SoulBlazer

River Patroller

• 3,891 posts

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:33 AM

So it may not have been written down, but word of mouth about the game was DEFENTILY out there.

DEFENTILY!

(sorry, I know I shouldn't pick on the non-native English speakers)

Um, English is my native language. :ponder:

I freely admit my spelling sucks, though, and often I bang these out without using spell check. :P

#30 high voltage OFFLINE  

high voltage

River Patroller

• 3,816 posts
  • Location:America, Asia, Europe, Aus, Antartica, Africa, Outer Space

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:34 AM

I don't recall seeing anything in print about ET sucking, either, but my parents refused to buy me the game cause they had 'heard' that it sucked. So it may not have been written down, but word of mouth about the game was DEFENTILY out there.

As for the AVGN, personaly, I don't like most of his videos either (with a few exceptions) mostly due to the swearing and the over the top tirades that he does. But I understand that I'm not in the group of people he directs the videos to. Not everyone seems to understand that it's just a character, though. He doesn't care about getting the facts right, he's doing it for attention. Those of us who wish things were more factural and curse him for spreading false information, but that's not what he cares about in his videos. Problem is, most people who watch his stuff probaly don't realize that. :ponder:

You're absolutely right.

#31 Waggie OFFLINE  

Waggie

Moonsweeper

• 399 posts

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:50 AM

I always liked E.T. and as others have said, it is no where near the worst games of that era. I didn't watch the movie until about 10 years later so it was a fun adventure for me that I didn't know all the story details about. I had a very similiar experience with Raiders which was much more frustrating but I still love because I solved it on my own.

#32 Syntaxerror999 OFFLINE  

Syntaxerror999

Dragonstomper

• 538 posts

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:04 AM

I didn't think E.T. was THAT bad of a game...

#33 high voltage OFFLINE  

high voltage

River Patroller

• 3,816 posts
  • Location:America, Asia, Europe, Aus, Antartica, Africa, Outer Space

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:19 AM

I got ET late, something like 86, although I found it difficult at first I soon grew to like it quite a lot. To me the pits were like death traps for example touching the deadly walls in HERO. So you just had to learn how to deal with them.

Edited by high voltage, Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:23 AM.

#34 ls650 OFFLINE  

ls650

Quadrunner

• 5,246 posts
  • Atari rocks!

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:52 PM

I personally can't stand the AVGN. Character or not, he's just obnoxious. I find it amazing that people actually donated $326,000 to him to make a movie with more of his crap!
http://www.indiegogo...-nerd-the-movie

#35 AtariLeaf ONLINE  

AtariLeaf

Quadrunner

• 8,476 posts

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:47 PM

I personally can't stand the AVGN. Character or not, he's just obnoxious. I find it amazing that people actually donated $326,000 to him to make a movie with more of his crap!
http://www.indiegogo...-nerd-the-movie

"A fool and their money" eh? ;)

#36 SoulBlazer OFFLINE  

SoulBlazer

River Patroller

• 3,891 posts

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:33 AM

Like I said eariler , while I may not personaly like most of the AVGN's stuff, I do understand why it's popular so I say kudos to him for raising the money to do what he wants to do.

And there IS some of his stuff that I like. The Action 52 one was awsome. :lol:

#37 lushgirl_80 OFFLINE  

lushgirl_80

Stargunner

• 1,521 posts
  • groooovy

Posted Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:52 AM

I love the AVGN show lol and consider myself a big fan. I always wonder how he's going to pull the movie off though and if it's even going to be a hit or even in the theaters. I'm still going to watch it of course.Not alot of people in the mainstream know who Howard Scott Warshaw is.

Anyways everytime I watch AVGN I'm always in awe of his massive gaming collection(especially that big shelf full of almost every NES game ever made)although I'm sure there are others out there who have more games and systems than he does. One thing I also wonder though is why James never buys any arcade machines and review those. One review I totally disagree with him on though is his Atari 5200 review. I hope AVGN does a part 2 for the 5200 and give it another chance with some working controllers.

Edited by lushgirl_80, Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:56 AM.

#38 Cynicaster OFFLINE  

Cynicaster

Stargunner

• 1,622 posts

Posted Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:51 AM

ET definitely had a reputation back in the day. I'm not saying I personally think it is as bad as most people say it is, but I distinctly remember neighborhood kids baggin' on the game in the 80's. I ended up with like 4 copies of it somehow, almost as if it was quietly reproducing in my game drawer. I think it must have been because kids would come over with their game collections and leave ET behind (how convenient). Maybe it wasn't intentional, but I couldn't help but notice nobody ever "accidentally" left copies of Enduro or Stargate in between my couch cushions.

I'll never forget this one time I saw an Atari with games at a yard sale near my friend's house back when the system was still alive and well on the market. I remember seeing games like Seaquest and Atlantis selling for around $10 a pop, but the pristine ET cart sitting in the lot had a price tag of $0.25. This has stuck with me because I was just floored at the idea of being able to buy a game for a quarter; too bad I already had 4 copies of it. :)

As for the Nerd, I enjoy his stuff, mostly because it's one of the rare retro gaming YouTube channels with any sort of production value. There's nothing more tedious than sitting through a video of a guy filming himself on a webcam in an echoey room going "uhhhhh.... So..... Ahhh....yeah....uhhhhh....so that's my video....uhhhh....thanks for watching" while the words "please subscribe" flash on the screen in big ugly letters on a magenta background, and fade out in a cheesy Windows Movie Maker animation.

#39 Emehr OFFLINE  

Emehr

River Patroller

• 3,770 posts
  • Happiness is... a chomping Pac-Man!

Posted Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:30 AM

As for the Nerd, I enjoy his stuff, mostly because it's one of the rare retro gaming YouTube channels with any sort of production value. There's nothing more tedious than sitting through a video of a guy filming himself on a webcam in an echoey room going "uhhhhh.... So..... Ahhh....yeah....uhhhhh....so that's my video....uhhhh....thanks for watching" while the words "please subscribe" flash on the screen in big ugly letters on a magenta background, and fade out in a cheesy Windows Movie Maker animation.

Funny because it's true. And if the thumbnail of a video is some guy staring into the camera like a deer in headlights with his whole noggin filling the frame I don't bother watching. Point the camera at whatever it is you're talking about. And put it on a tripod for crying out loud.

I like watching the AVGNerd videos for the most part. The casual monologue and anecdotes are where the meat of the show is. I also like the silly effects because I'm into that thing myself. But when he starts into the "fuck! fuck! fuck!" I'm just like "okay, move along already...okay poop on the cartridge..yes, that's fine. Can we get back to the show now?"

#40 lushgirl_80 OFFLINE  

lushgirl_80

Stargunner

• 1,521 posts
  • groooovy

Posted Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:13 PM

Funny because it's true. And if the thumbnail of a video is some guy staring into the camera like a deer in headlights with his whole noggin filling the frame I don't bother watching. Point the camera at whatever it is you're talking about. And put it on a tripod for crying out loud.

I like watching the AVGNerd videos for the most part. The casual monologue and anecdotes are where the meat of the show is. I also like the silly effects because I'm into that thing myself. But when he starts into the "fuck! fuck! fuck!" I'm just like "okay, move along already...okay poop on the cartridge..yes, that's fine. Can we get back to the show now?"

LOL yea I also think his poop jokes are a bit over the top at times, but I actually like them,and I really love it when he curses!! AVGN comes up with the most craziest sounding curse words ever. Probably the only show on Youtube that makes me laugh alot and not only that it's all about video games. I mean let's face it, we've all cursed out loud to a game at least once before, I know I have and still do. I dunno but to me there's like this Kevin Smith-esque quality to his work. I hope his movie is alot like Clerks and Pee Wee's Great Adventure, that would be rad.

When you think about it tho, it's not only James that makes that show but also Mike Matei(Motherf*cker Mike! lol oh gawd he is sooo funny) and the guy that does the theme song. I also love his other shows like Board James.

But yea I also can't stand those low budget type Youtube gaming vids with some dorky guy's deep voice blaring into the mic background saying "Uhhhh, yea uhhh" lol and then with some generic techno music as their theme song. I also avoid those kind of vids or just turn the sound down.

#41 Cynicaster OFFLINE  

Cynicaster

Stargunner

• 1,622 posts

Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:32 AM

Yeah, between the Nerd and that second rate hack the Irate Gamer, the whole "OK, that's it!" routine where they pull the cart out of the system, stare at it with some stupid face, and then proceed to "punish" it somehow, is getting pretty old.

#42 Master Phruby OFFLINE  

Master Phruby

River Patroller

• 2,729 posts

Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:50 AM

I just don't find the AVGNerd entertaining. The constant swaring makes him sound stupid. If he could just speak like a normal person he would be alot more interesting.

#43 lushgirl_80 OFFLINE  

lushgirl_80

Stargunner

• 1,521 posts
  • groooovy

Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:53 PM

Yeah, between the Nerd and that second rate hack the Irate Gamer, the whole "OK, that's it!" routine where they pull the cart out of the system, stare at it with some stupid face, and then proceed to "punish" it somehow, is getting pretty old.

Haha that face is funny but I can see how his humor can be dumb and embarassing at times.

I like it when he does reviews out of the AVGN character like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC0eiXm2H3Q

No poop jokes or dumb faces there, just a straightforward review but with a little humor that's not so over the top like his usual episodes.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users