Photo

Looking for a MAME front end with a specific feature

7 replies to this topic

#1 Syntaxerror999 OFFLINE  

Syntaxerror999

Dragonstomper

• 538 posts

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:49 PM

Hello. I've been batting around the idea of making my own arcade machine. I've been looking around at other peoples projects and it looks like a good idea.
Im considering using a Linux version of MAME (I assume there is one) running under DLS (damn small linux www.damnsmalllinux.org/ ), but the project has one hurdle. I'd like it to have a working coin slot, but if you go into a game on MAME then "deposit" credits and exit before using all of said credits theres no way of carring them over to the next game (right?). Is there a front end out there that will independently monitor how many "quarters" are inserted and carry them over from game to game?

#2 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,240 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:57 PM

I don't know of such a feature, but it could probably be scripted fairly easily if you're going to use Linux.

#3 20ohm20 OFFLINE  

20ohm20

Dragonstomper

• 534 posts

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:23 PM

Is there a front end out there that will independently monitor how many "quarters" are inserted and carry them over from game to game?

If there is such a thing, I'd like to know too.

#4 goldenegg OFFLINE  

goldenegg

Stargunner

• 1,632 posts

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:31 PM

All that front ends do is pass parameters to the Mame command line interface to make running it easier. There are no command line parameters which allow a front end to pass the number of credits when starting a game. There's also no easy way to do it programatically either, as the memory location used to store the number of credits can change from game to game.

What you would need is a custom build of Mame, which doesn't exist for the functionality you're looking for.

#5 VectorGamer OFFLINE  

VectorGamer

Quadrunner

• 8,576 posts
  • \m/

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:03 AM

MAME emulates multiple independent machines...

Why would you want a feature like this anyway? Most people will stick a button on the coin door to credit up. Even so, you wire up the coin mechs to credit up the games.

#6 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• 2,647 posts

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:26 AM

Unfortunately, and NOT accusing anyone here of it...but many who seek such a feature use it in a commercial setting to profit from MAME which goes against the MAME license and is illegal.

So legally, you will not find such a feature or build.

If such a build is found, it should be reported to the MAME team here: http://mamedev.org/contact.html

#7 Syntaxerror999 OFFLINE  

Syntaxerror999

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 538 posts

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:26 PM

Well that answers my question. If I do end up doing the project I'll just forego that part of the project. Not really worth the effort for a feature I wont even use anyways. Any good sources for coin doors that look real but don't actually work?

#8 HatefulGravey OFFLINE  

HatefulGravey

River Patroller

• 2,356 posts
  • A ROM image is no way to live.

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:07 AM

When I started the build on my MAME machine there were a few nice places to order art work for the machine, at the kind of coin door you are looking for. I went back to check them just now and found that not one of the places I found before is still around like it used to be atleast. I would also like to find a nice place to buy the little extras that make the machine pop.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users