IGNORED

TurboBasicXL problem

bob1200xl

I have a PBI-based HD that loads TBXL ver.1.5 just fine from DOS2.0S, but will not load under MyDOS 4.5 (or earlier versions, like 3.08). This happens whether I am using the HD or SIO. The same files/DOS works fine on a stock 1200XL.

TBXL seems to be loading fine, but it reverts to DUP at the end. (??)

Does anyone know or have information on how TBXL loads?

Thanks...

Bob

Hi BOB

Hey I am going to try and find a 1200XL computer. Beside the Key board being better is there anything else it has that seems better then the 800XL.

I know you hack the hardware alot ,so is that one difference?

Sean

I have a PBI-based HD that loads TBXL ver.1.5 just fine from DOS2.0S, but will not load under MyDOS 4.5 (or earlier versions, like 3.08). This happens whether I am using the HD or SIO. The same files/DOS works fine on a stock 1200XL.

Thanks...

Bob

It loads in 11 sections, including RAM under the OS at $C000-$Cbf7, $D800-DFF9, $E400-$FFF1.

It inits at $2100 and $6000 along the way.

Here's a BASIC program to see how it loads. My program says it runs at 73088

at the end, which ain't right. The inits turn on RAM under the OS and do something

to load and run. I dunno.

Just run it and give the filespec to analyze...

eg. D4:TB.COM

TRAK2.zip

Edited by russg

Are you saying it does not load OK under the earlier, smaller versions of MyDos like 3.08 (or it does)?

-Larry

Thanks...

Bob

Turbo-BASIC XL 1.5 usually runs well on MyDOS 4.5x ... I have multiple 16 MB ATR's on my KMK-IDE2 and on several SIO2SD (and on emulators too) which I run along with TBXL1.5 ...

Got them running on 800XL and 800XE/130XE ... so may be the 1200XL has a different memory-layout?

May be there problem is somewhere else (garbage copy of TBXL on your disk, caused by wrong partition-datas?).

Or may be you have loaded the HD-driver into the "RAM under ROM" which will be overwritten when loading TBXL1.5? In than case, you had to install a new OS-ROM when using MyIDE. On KMK-IDE2, the OS-ROM is overwritten automaticly, so TBXL1.5 should work out-of-the-box.

Edited by atarixle

I think if there are too many disk drives/buffers configured under (my)dos, it'll clash with $2080 also.

Interesting to see this "2.0+", where the only real difference (apart from colors and text) is this

post-17404-0-84378200-1329491568_thumb.png

JSR $FBF2

JSR $FBEC

=>

JSR $FC13

NOP:NOP:NOP

These are addresses in TB itself (not OS). Is this really from Frank Ostrwoski (I doubt he would have called it 2.+ with this change :-).

And any clue which different it makes (for sure nothing regarding the DOS).

Hi Ray-

Cool! I had not heard of Vbindiff before. Looks very useful. Thanks for posting that pic!

-Larry

I think if there are too many disk drives/buffers configured under (my)dos, it'll clash with $2080 also.

Interesting to see this "2.0+", where the only real difference (apart from colors and text) is this

JSR $FBF2

JSR $FBEC

=>

JSR $FC13

These are addresses in TB itself (not OS). Is this really from Frank Ostrwoski (I doubt he would have called it 2.+ with this change :-).

1200XL:

Has 4 extra Function keys

Uses a regular Atari power supply

All chips are socketed

Lots of interior room

L1/L2 LEDs for display

Terrible composite video

Keyboards go bad - fixable

Nasty clock timings

Noisy PCB

No PBI

Poor cartridge slot mechanics

Bob

Hi BOB

Hey I am going to try and find a 1200XL computer. Beside the Key board being better is there anything else it has that seems better then the 800XL.

I know you hack the hardware alot ,so is that one difference?

Sean

It is consistent with 4.5 - always fails. On 3.0x, it is not. The process moves the OS under the ROM, which sometimes lays the code down offset from where it got it. Generally, you move the ROM OS into memory, switch to RAM and then move it back. The code happens to end up $1F bytes up-address in RAM. It seems to be random with earlier versions of MyDOS - like it's interrupt dependent, or something. 4.5 always works the same. So does DOS2.0S.

Bob

Are you saying it does not load OK under the earlier, smaller versions of MyDos like 3.08 (or it does)?

-Larry

Thanks...

Bob

The 1200XL is running an 800XL OS. No HD driver - it's PBI. No partitions, they are fixed. This fails if I run it from floppy. The same code/DOS disk runs on a stock 1200XL just fine. It even runs on a 65816 system (Sweet16). If I run the system in 1200XL mode, 4.5 does not return to DUP, but I get no prompt, either.

MyDOS 4.5 just returns to DUP instead of starting TB - nothing is trashed, it just takes a wrong turn or no turn...

If I knew how/where it branches to the beginning of TB, I might be able to see what is/isn't happening.

Bob

Turbo-BASIC XL 1.5 usually runs well on MyDOS 4.5x ... I have multiple 16 MB ATR's on my KMK-IDE2 and on several SIO2SD (and on emulators too) which I run along with TBXL1.5 ...

Got them running on 800XL and 800XE/130XE ... so may be the 1200XL has a different memory-layout?

May be there problem is somewhere else (garbage copy of TBXL on your disk, caused by wrong partition-datas?).

Or may be you have loaded the HD-driver into the "RAM under ROM" which will be overwritten when loading TBXL1.5? In than case, you had to install a new OS-ROM when using MyIDE. On KMK-IDE2, the OS-ROM is overwritten automaticly, so TBXL1.5 should work out-of-the-box.

Nice display, thanks!

Yes, it loads the OS into RAM and then overlays its own code on top of it. You can actually switch to the RAM OS after it tries to load. I have the feeling that if you branched to the RUN address, all would work - but, 73088 is outside the range of possible addresses. How did you get that number in your program? A two-byte register won't display a number that large...

I'll have to spend some time with your program.

Bob

Thanks...

Bob

It loads in 11 sections, including RAM under the OS at $C000-$Cbf7, $D800-DFF9, $E400-$FFF1.

It inits at $2100 and $6000 along the way.

Here's a BASIC program to see how it loads. My program says it runs at 73088

at the end, which ain't right. The inits turn on RAM under the OS and do something

to load and run. I dunno.

Just run it and give the filespec to analyze...

eg. D4:TB.COM

I'll see if the buffers intrude.

2.0 acts the same as 1.5.

Thanks.

Bob

JSR $FBF2

JSR $FBEC

=>

JSR $FC13

It is consistent with 4.5 - always fails. On 3.0x, it is not. The process moves the OS under the ROM, which sometimes lays the code down offset from where it got it. Generally, you move the ROM OS into memory, switch to RAM and then move it back. The code happens to end up $1F bytes up-address in RAM. It seems to be random with earlier versions of MyDOS - like it's interrupt dependent, or something. 4.5 always works the same. So does DOS2.0S.

Bob

-Larry

Thanks...

Bob

Hi Bob

So getting a 1200XL

would not be a good choice to get that computer. I knew you were doing CF drive for it. I also was that computer was easy to do hardware hacks on

Can the Video be fixed to run the higher video like the atari 800 does?

which is pretty much Svideo

with Chroma ,Luma outputs

thanks Sean

Bob

-Larry

Thanks...

Bob

Hi Bob

So getting a 1200XL

would not be a good choice to get that computer. I knew you were doing CF drive for it. I also was that computer was easy to do hardware hacks on

thanks Sean

All the problems or "negatives" with the 1200XL can be fixed/upgraded. I love my 1200XL, though even when it was stock, I never had any problems with it myself. But, I have upgraded the video with SuperVideo 2.1 for 1200XL, Ape Warp+ 32 OS, internal Basic, dual pokey stereo, 512k memory, fixed keyboard (and yes, it is the best when it's working), 5v power to SIO for 100% XL/XE peripherial compatibliity for devices that draw 5v power from computer on SIO line,

I intend to eventually do the PBI mod. I wouldn't take any other Atari conputer over my 1200XL now, even if it was modded as much as mine or more than my 1200XL. If another Atari has something my 1200XL doesn't and I want it, I'll upgrade it. I love the look, I love the location of cartridge and joystick ports.

Edited by Gunstar

Here are the load vectors for TBXL, however you've probably looked at this before.

BTW, IIRC reverting to DUP.SYS is normal behavior when MyDos 4.x encounters a problem in loading a binary file. Maybe someone knows (technically) why it does this?

-Larry

post-8008-0-76544200-1329505479_thumb.jpg

Sure - all that can be fixed. Don't get me wrong - I think the 1200XL is way better than any other Atari, but it needs attention.

Bob

Bob

-Larry

Thanks...

Bob

Hi Bob

So getting a 1200XL

thanks Sean

It seems to execute the steps listed. It's the run address that is missing at the end of the sequence.

Do I have the program that you ran for that listing?

Bob

Here are the load vectors for TBXL, however you've probably looked at this before.

BTW, IIRC reverting to DUP.SYS is normal behavior when MyDos 4.x encounters a problem in loading a binary file. Maybe someone knows (technically) why it does this?

-Larry

The memory under the OS is not used by anything I put in. It is all available for TBXL. I can run it in 1200XL mode (which means I'm using the stock 1200XL ROMs and no PBI code) and it still fails to complete the TBXL load.

TBXL works fine from DOS 2.0S and DOS 2.5 on the same hardware, whether I boot from the CF card or floppy.

MyDOS appears to do something that the TBXL loader does not like. It's very strange... I hate to leave 'land mines' in a hack. It's Ok if the bug is documented and understood - not OK if it is a mystery.

Thanks!

Bob

Hello guys

I've loaded and run TurboBASIC 1.5XL from HDD (via BlackBox) using MyDOS a lot. Never had any problems.

TB uses memory under the OS, that might be causing problems.

Tschüß

Mathy

Hello Bob

You can try to set the amount of file buffers to three. MyDOS never uses more then three. If that doesn't solve the problem, try to "remove drives". You don't need to have all the available drives set up in MyDOS. I usually only have a few (the lower ones) set up in MyDOS, although I use everything from D1: to D9:

Mathy

PS why the heck did I use "Tschüß" in my previous message??? Silly me!