Photo

Games where turbo/slow mo REALLY helped or made the game more interesting!

12 replies to this topic

#1 retrorussell OFFLINE  

retrorussell

River Patroller

• 4,180 posts
  • Still waiting for another championship..

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:26 PM

Hey gamers!
What games, to you, really were TONS easier to beat with the use of a turbo controller or slow-motion option? Any specific areas in the game where it was most useful? Or did the controller let you do some cool/wacky things? And what were the controllers?

I loved using turbo controllers for RYGAR: There was a trick where you could hold turbo A and B as you walk off a ledge/cliff. Rygar flicks his ball and chain at a rapid pace and sloooowly falls off the ledge.. only to reappear at the top! Dangerous when a lot of enemies are around though, as you can get "unfrozen" and fall to your death if they nail you.

Also: Using the NES Advantage's adjustable turbo dials when facing Achilles in TROJAN made me find just the right timing for my strikes to hit him just as he lifted his sword to strike me.

And I don't remember which wrestling game it was for the NES but if you threw your opponent out of the ring, you could hold turbo punch down and they would never get back in the ring. They would get counted out.

#2 Armonigann OFFLINE  

Armonigann

Dragonstomper

• 942 posts

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:41 PM

The only time I use the slo-mo options on the controller, is when I'm in a super tight squeeze in a shmup title, but even then, it's an extremely rare occasion.

I always thought the slo-mo was just a gimmick anyways, considering all it did was pause the game constantly.

#3 tpugmire OFFLINE  

tpugmire

Chopper Commander

• 107 posts

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:16 PM

A turbo controller helps with the last part of Ghostbusters on NES when you have to use the buttons to climb the stairs.

#4 FireStar OFFLINE  

FireStar

Star Raider

• 87 posts

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:56 PM

Rocky on SMS is slightly better when you use a rapid fire unit... slightly.
Of course, any run and gun game like contra or mega man is enhanced with turbo fire.

#5 asponge OFFLINE  

asponge

Chopper Commander

• 206 posts

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:02 PM

Track and Field II for the NES was definitely enhanced by using a turbo controller. There were a handful of events such as triple jump and pole vault that were nearly impossible without one.

The other game that comes to mind at the moment is Caveman Games. Without turbo that game was exhausting.

#6 retrorussell OFFLINE  

retrorussell

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,180 posts

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:41 AM

Track and Field II for the NES was definitely enhanced by using a turbo controller. There were a handful of events such as triple jump and pole vault that were nearly impossible without one.

The other game that comes to mind at the moment is Caveman Games. Without turbo that game was exhausting.

T&F2 was definitely easier with turbo.. but you had to let off it and use the button regularly at just the right times (to jump, let go of something, etc.).
I was never good at the diving.. I would hold turbo down to pick some random form and spin the controller around rapidly and hope for a good score.

#7 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 8,284 posts

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:55 AM

I can't think of a single instance where a turbo controller made a game more "interesting". It made it more boring, if anything.

#8 icemanxp300 OFFLINE  

icemanxp300

Dragonstomper

• 862 posts

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:39 AM

Turbo controllers definitely makes street fighter 2 easier. You can throw moves w/little mistakes. Going from a turbo to non-turbo you def. notice a big deifference in accuracy of moves, you need to be much more precise w/out turbo.

#9 retrorussell OFFLINE  

retrorussell

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,180 posts

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:39 PM

Pro Wrestling for the NES was easier with turbo.. I'd hold the buttons down and nearly all the time I'd be able to make my moves before the CPU. On the harder opponents they'd here and there get their licks in first. God, I loved that game!

#10 Eltigro OFFLINE  

Eltigro

Dragonstomper

• 690 posts

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:49 PM

Joust. Turbo helped on Joust a LOT.

#11 Lendorien OFFLINE  

Lendorien

Stargunner

• 1,108 posts

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:33 AM

How about 1943? Turbo made that game far more accessible to people who couldn't press the buttons quickly. Also spared me getting tendonitis.

#12 NinjaWarrior OFFLINE  

NinjaWarrior

Stargunner

• 1,241 posts

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:08 AM

I use it on shooters

#13 Eltigro OFFLINE  

Eltigro

Dragonstomper

• 690 posts

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:09 AM

How about 1943? Turbo made that game far more accessible to people who couldn't press the buttons quickly. Also spared me getting tendonitis.

Yeah, when playing that on my NES I always used my NES Advantage. It was a great advantage. :-D

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users