Photo

Startropics

13 replies to this topic

#1 7800Lover OFFLINE  

7800Lover

Moonsweeper

• 421 posts

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:26 PM

Who remembers this 1990 video game? This was for the NES and was an adventure RPG game very much like the Legend of Zelda. Of course, it was different in the fact that it was linear as opposed to the more open-ended Zelda games. Another big difference was that the game was exclusively designed for the West, seeing only release in North American and Europe. It was never released in Japan according to my sources.

The hero of the game was a 15-year-old teen from Seattle named Mike. He's gone to C-Island to visit his uncle, a scientist named Dr. Jones. Upon arriving, he learns his uncle has been kidnapped (dontcha just hate when that happens?) and must go on a quest to save him. You could explore villages in an overhead mode and talk to people. When you went into dungeons, you used a yo-yo as a weapon (original concept) and could collect items like torches, baseballs, baseball bats, slingshots, etc to use as weapons as well as other items like medicine and snowman dolls. In contrast to Zelda, when you left these dungeons, you didn't get to take these items with you to the next one (other than the basic yo-yo weapon).

I was never able to beat this game. There are puzzles that got tricky later on and this game was notorious for having a piece of paper included that had to be soaked in water to reveal a radio frequency. You were S.O.L if you bought the game second-hand or rented it. I also know a sequel was made, Startropics 2: Zoda's Revenge, but I never played it. IIRC, that game was released close to the end of the NES lifespan.

Who else remembers this game? Did you beat it? How is it compared to Zelda?

#2 Taskmaster99 OFFLINE  

Taskmaster99

Stargunner

• 1,128 posts

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:52 PM

Beat this waaaaaay back in the day. Loved it. Also played part 2 but never finished it. I still have both. Bringing up this thread makes we want to break them out again. I dont recall much from the first except for one dungeon boss that was a big octopus.

#3 Punisher5.0 OFFLINE  

Punisher5.0

River Patroller

• 2,516 posts

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:01 PM

I remember getting this game for Christmas when I was a kid. My brother and I had a blast playing it. It's been so long though that I can only remember bits and pieces.

#4 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 14,388 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:42 PM

I have tried playing StarTropics 5 times and can never get into it. It just feels too "my first Adventure RPG" to me and I don't like the choppy movement or the fact that when you die you have to start entire dungeons over again (mostly because the dungeons are redundant and boorish). Plus there are some cheap "live and learn" deaths. It all just adds up to "blah" for me and feels like it was made for Westerners who cannot play really deep and difficult games like they have in Japan.

#5 SoulBlazer OFFLINE  

SoulBlazer

River Patroller

• 4,145 posts

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:49 AM

I always loved Startropics. Played the game back in the day and really enjoyed. The letter trick was defentily unique and I recall thinking at 14 what a cool trick that it was. My parents asked me what I was doing filling the sink up when I went to soak it and I had to explain it to them and they were impressed also. :lol:

The music in the game is very good (the dungeon song I always loved), the gameplay is fun, and the game gets very tough at the end.

Startropics 2 I missed back in the day due to it being a late NES release (94, I think, could have been 93). I was still playing the NES at that point but by then I was fully into the SNES and the PC and there's some games I missed from that time. Having played and beat it since, I can say I like it but it doesn't have the same charm as the original.

Side note to you collectors out there: I recall seeing stacks of these games still sealed in Kay-Be as late as 2002.

#6 Rex Dart ONLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,544 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:59 AM

I have tried playing StarTropics 5 times and can never get into it. It just feels too "my first Adventure RPG" to me and I don't like the choppy movement or the fact that when you die you have to start entire dungeons over again (mostly because the dungeons are redundant and boorish). Plus there are some cheap "live and learn" deaths. It all just adds up to "blah" for me and feels like it was made for Westerners who cannot play really deep and difficult games like they have in Japan.

I'm with you. I remember the ads, I like the art, but I just cannot force myself to enjoy the game. Wish I could.

#7 stinkoman OFFLINE  

stinkoman

Star Raider

• 90 posts

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:11 PM

I loved this game.Very underated and fantastic.I keep reading there is a startropics III out being a fan game or on virtual console on wii I cant find much info on it.

Edited by stinkoman, Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:13 PM.

#8 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 9,079 posts

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:12 PM

Great game. Very cheap at points though (trial and error). Like many others from the time though, once you get the dungeons down, it's fun rolling through the game on subsequent runs.

#9 Bartsfam OFFLINE  

Bartsfam

Dragonstomper

• 580 posts

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:05 PM

I love this game. I love the linear quality of it, and not having to hunt around for what to do next.
I got this game when I was first married, 1992-ish, and my wife and I would play it together. We were so into it, I remember videotaping certain parts on my VCR, playing it back in slo-mo, and reviewing the best strategy on how to clear the room. I remember there was some room, that as soon as you entered, the lights would go out, and you could jump to your death very easily.
We recorded it, and then froze the screen before the lights went out.

I just recently played it with my kids on emulation. "Saving" at anytime really gets you through the rough spots.....

As for Star Tropics 2, I recall that this game was the last official release by Nintendo for the NES. IMHO, it felt rushed, and almost incomplete, and not as polished as the first game.
Still, it was pretty cool, but no where as great as the first one.

Edited by Bartsfam, Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:06 PM.

#10 bomberpunk OFFLINE  

bomberpunk

River Patroller

• 2,088 posts
  • i hoard video games.

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:17 PM

i bought StarTropics and it's sequel on clearance at Toys R Us in the mid 90s. sadly they remained sealed until the day they music died, so i never played them!

#11 MagitekAngel OFFLINE  

MagitekAngel

River Patroller

• 2,152 posts

Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:54 PM

I thought Wario's Woods was the last NES release in North America. In any case, I have only played the original StarTropics, and consider it one of the finer adventure games on the NES. It would be interesting to see this series revisited!

#12 SoulBlazer OFFLINE  

SoulBlazer

River Patroller

• 4,145 posts

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:39 AM

I thought Wario's Woods was the last NES release in North America. In any case, I have only played the original StarTropics, and consider it one of the finer adventure games on the NES. It would be interesting to see this series revisited!

Wario Woods was the last release from Nintendo. Star Tropics 2 came out a few months eariler. Both of those were released in 1994. The last third party game came out for the system in 1995.

#13 Zing OFFLINE  

Zing

Space Invader

• 32 posts

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:52 AM

I recall playing through the game and enjoying it when I was a child back at its original release, but I tried to play through it again last year and I was miserable.

The game is jam-packed with trial-and-error deaths. Sometimes you have to jump off-screen and hope that you land on a platform. Fun.

The game is so ridiculous that even the 1ups have a chance to subtract a life from you.

Edited by Zing, Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:52 AM.

#14 genesisguy OFFLINE  

genesisguy

Chopper Commander

• 103 posts

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:16 PM

Love it! Remember renting it near the end of the NES lifespan and I eventually picked it up a few years ago at a retro game store. Awesome Awesome music!
Great game play too.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users