8. Dreamcast

7. Playstation

6. XBox360

5. Genesis

4. SNES

3. PS2

2. 2600

1. NES

I think a randomized list would be just as good as theirs.

• Like 2

I believe this list was 2009 and therefore pre-Move, pre-Kinect too... I bet Kinect at least would have moved Xbox 360 up a notch. Was kind of shocked 2600 didn't win the overall title, just for being the one that really brought home gaming to the masses, but when it got down to the low numbers I figured NES would dominate. Wonder why Sega didn't continue... (i'll google later) LOL

Save some clicking:

25. Odyssey

24. Jaguar

23. 5200

22. 3DO

21. Odyssey2

20. Sega Master system

19. Neo*Geo

18. Sega Saturn

17. 7800

16. Game Cube

15. PS3

14. Intellivision

13. TG-16

12. Colecovision

11. XBox

10. Wii

9. N64

8. Dreamcast

7. Playstation

6. XBox360

5. Genesis

4. SNES

3. PS2

2. 2600

1. NES

I think a randomized list would be just as good as theirs.

I agree it looks totally random, I hate stuff like that because every person is different, grew up with different systems and had different experiences with different systems so a list like that just tends to upset people more than say wow that was interesting :roll: . Me I always look at that stuff as like "what ever" because I know what my favorites are and there is nothing that IGN can do or say to change that. People on youtube try to do the same kind of lists and then wonder why they get so many thumbs down, although I do kind of find that funny :lol:

Lists like this are stupid. What's the point of ranking game consoles? They all had good games. Its the same with ranked lists of video games. Any game good enough to make a top-100 or whatever list is probably pretty good, and therefore worth playing. So what's the point of putting them in any particular order? And I agree with the lab rat. Every console worth talking about is on the list, so it's not exactly exclusive.

The scary thing is that someone out there read this list and said "well I was going to buy a Sega Master System, but at #20 on the list, I think I'll pass."

Chris

Agree 100% that lists like these are pointless but always fun to look over. What would be a better subject to discuss would be systems that pushed the envelope of gaming to the next level / made a very noticeable jump in gaming technology. If that was the case, then the ColecoVision would have to be ranked considerably higher as it was the first U.S. console to give us near arcade perfect ports (which meant less time for me hanging out at the arcade) and it finally forced Atari's hand to release an improved system, the 5200, instead of sitting on their laurels reaping the benefits of the 2600 and throwing jabs at Mattel's Intellivision.

Pretty Good List, Only I wish the Nintendo 64 was higher on the list, That was the greatest thing my brother and I had when we were younger ;) .

I do agree with the PS2 being #3, All of my friends have one and they say it a great console.

My brother still has the PS2 he bought in '04. It has trouble every now and then but it Still Works! :cool:

Agree 100% that lists like these are pointless but always fun to look over. What would be a better subject to discuss would be systems that pushed the envelope of gaming to the next level / made a very noticeable jump in gaming technology. If that was the case, then the ColecoVision would have to be ranked considerably higher as it was the first U.S. console to give us near arcade perfect ports (which meant less time for me hanging out at the arcade) and it finally forced Atari's hand to release an improved system, the 5200, instead of sitting on their laurels reaping the benefits of the 2600 and throwing jabs at Mattel's Intellivision.

Well, I would say that the 2600 was quite arcade quality for 1977's standards. Space Invaders wasn't out yet, so games like Tank and Pong were the norm. Have seen such games this past week I would say they all looked very 2600 ish... The 5200 on the other hand....

hey hey hey no throwing jabs at the much beloved atari 5200 :grin:

No jabs thrown towards the 5200 here especially since Coleco and Atari threw enough at each other back in the day to satisfy everyone's pugilistic needs. While I was never a fan of the 5200, I can appreciate any and all consoles and computers that let me play games!!!

• 1 month later...

I can appreciate any and all consoles and computers that let me play games!!!

Me too. But those little old machines, they get really temperamental with age.

My CV for instance, every time a 5200 gets near, the CV starts laughting like mad, just cannot stop until the 5200 goes away. On the other hand, both my CV and 2600 get along pretty well. They affectionately call each other "master" and "little expansion".

As for all my MSXes, they really hated that little ZX Spectrum with a passion. They kept calling the poor thing names, like '"prototype of a poorman's Z80 kit". I was forced to get rid of it, afraid the MSXes would try a spectrumcide during the night... I never really understood why they couldn't like the little guy, it was kind of cute with the toyish chiclet keyboard and all.

;)

You know microcomputers of the 80's were just as good if not better than some of these consoles. Atarisoft games weren't all that bad and I have to say I played the C64 way more than the NES and Atari 2600 combined. (from 1980-1989)

It's a shame they never get grouped in with them.

If we are going all time.. I have to say Xbox 360 is the best simply for all it can do besides games. Classic... ColecoVision gets the nod for me.. simply the first to do close arcade translations to the games I spent a lot of quarters on... and I spent a LOT on donkey kong.