IGNORED

New Altirra beta...Now loads BASIC files directly.

Mclaneinc

http://www.virtualdu...2.10-test13.zip

Very handy little addition from Avery..

Here's the other added features:-

This version has support for loading BASIC files, but note that it still goes through the boot process and therefore enabling Fast Boot is recommended. It also contains improvements to disk timing prediction so that more protected disks will boot in SIO patched or burst I/O mode, and a new CIO-based enhanced text mode that allows for text screens up to 255x255 and traditional command-line editing.

And remember, its copyrighted to Avery you thieving punks ;)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

This version has support for loading BASIC files, but note that it still goes through the boot process and therefore enabling Fast Boot is recommended. It also contains improvements to disk timing prediction so that more protected disks will boot in SIO patched or burst I/O mode, and a new CIO-based enhanced text mode that allows for text screens up to 255x255 and traditional command-line editing.

Unlistable files are not supported as noted in the Altirria Forums. Here is the bad unlistable file being talked about++a file that will unlock the 'or any' basic file in question...

Listable program.zip

Unlistable files are not supported as noted in the Altirria Forums. Here is the bad unlistable file being talked about++a file that will unlock the 'or any' basic file in question...

Cheers, you will have seen then that the Alien Attack.bas file would not work on Altirra using the current loading system, it being a protected file listing wise but thanks to Wesmond on there he found out running it from the H:drive with the RUN "H:filename made it work fine, it looks like Altirra does a LOAD as and then auto runs it?

EDIT: I swear I used UNLOCK 1.2 on it yesterday and it errored, odd that...Maybe it wasn't 1.2....

Edited by Mclaneinc

This is getting absurd... What are some people doing with these files?

The original Alien Attack comes from a super rare tape called Swede 1 and works fine. It's a CLOAD affair.

The second "version" - the one causing trouble - is from Keypunch Software's Space Games and loads / runs great from the disk menu. That second edition was never meant to be a listable BASIC file.

What is the purpose of creating these fake / non-working files from perfectly valid dumps?

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

I get it... The purpose is to make dozens of these shitty hack jobs, release them in the wild as new games and create even more confusion with so-called "versions".

The Atari game sets are just riddled and polluted with hundreds of these ridiculous files... Things are now getting completely out of control with sometimes countless cracks of the same game in different formats circulating everywhere. Now if only they were properly "tagged" but that's not even the case! You know, emulation isn't simply about "making things work", the community also has other responsibilities such as providing clean and accessible files, not that horrible mess.

Apart from that, thanks for the new feature, this was really needed!

--

Atari Frog

Sorry for derailing the thread, got a bit carried away...

Just wanted to say "thanks" for the great work!

I was wondering... Would you consider adding support for dual-track tapes in .flac format? They work well with .wav already but maybe this would be an interesting alternative?

--

Atari Frog

Atari frog, I totally agree with you and your clean dump wish, I'm merely saying that occasionally we may just find a little rarity in these files so making them work seems the sensible thing to do, if they turn out to be old rubbish then they get labelled as such.

That's why your site is so important, your mission to get a clean library is totally commendable and I wish you and the team every success in getting there. Over the years my little part has been providing some of the collectors like Aaron full access to what I had from my disks from the old days before I lost it all, I also provided genuine cassettes and magazine's to Aaron so they could be scanned and put in the library.

Cost me a small fortune to NZ :)

I still say you should allow a full library download in one file like Kaz does ;)

Edited by Mclaneinc

Sigh... yeah, the current load method doesn't work with stupid protection tricks. In the case of Alien Attack, the remnants of how the file was protected still exist:

32700 FOR [VC9]=PEEK(130)+PEEK(131)*256 TO PEEK(132)+PEEK(133)*256: POKE [VC9],156: NEXT [VC9] {end $287D}
32701 POKE PEEK(138)+PEEK(139)*256+2,0: SAVE "D:ALIEN": NEW  {end $28BF}
32768 GOTO 32700 {end $28CC}

The last line is the immediate line. Line 32700 wipes the variable name table between VNTP and VVTP, and line 32701 stomps the line length at the beginning of the current line (STMCUR). The latter jams BASIC into a loop when it does a line number search past that point, which happens when BASIC tries to parse the RUN command that Altirra injects. I'll need to switch over to a different method to get these to run, one where BASIC is already executing the RUN statement when the program loads.

FLAC's possible, but I'd want to write my own decoder. I'm stubborn that way. Fortunately, it's not too bad of a format and it's decently documented.

The thing is that somebody took a perfectly working game from an original compilation disk and "released" a shitty, half-baked file version that doesn't even serve its purpose. This is really a moronic thing to do and a disservice to the community. Guys, if you want to be constructive, why don't you buy original software still missing in action or check your old disks for rarities instead of putting out crap like this? There, I had to say it.

Paul, we'd love to release the collection on a regular basis the way you're suggesting but we don't want to lump everything in one big file, we need to organize things properly first. Not only that but, at the moment, there are just too many unsorted bits and missing titles in the database. Unless, for instance, we have "packs" by

publisher, though this would be risky business.

Ultimately, maybe what would work to get there is a collective effort: complete one publisher at a time in alphabetical order and, in the end, have something valuable for occasional users AND collectors. In an ideal world, I believe this would look fantastic in an enhanced GB-like environment. But I digress...

Sorry, I'm hijacking the thread again...

--

Atari Frog

Phaeron, thanks for the reply.

We want to start hosting dual-track programs so they can be used with your emulator. If support for FLAC files is added, that would be great. TBH, I don't know much about the technical issues but, from what I've been told, it would appear FLAC would be ideal in terms of quality, "purity" and perfect for preservation purposes. What do you think?

--

Atari Frog

The thing is that somebody took a perfectly working game from an original compilation disk and "released" a shitty, half-baked file version that doesn't even serve its purpose. This is really a moronic thing to do and a disservice to the community. Guys, if you want to be constructive, why don't you buy original software still missing in action or check your old disks for rarities instead of putting out crap like this? There, I had to say it.

Atari Frog

You are totally correct but we both know that the 'scene' loves to make it smaller, crunch it up, make a single file etc etc etc

We are our victims of this legacy of compacting and menu making, yes I'd love to see a collection of program stored as they were, we can hope.

As for the one lump collection, no problem, I see where you are coming from and good luck in your quest.

End of thread hijacking...

I also am appreciative and commend your work with Atarimania. However, statements like this... you don't get to dictate how I (or others) enjoy their hobby. Not everyone has the same goals as you. Some people like to take old software and hack it up a bit. So what? Get down off that horse.

• Like 1