Here's my next project that I'm working on... What started out as merely a demo showing off a car physics engine, has actually turned into a full-fledged game. You basically control a car that zooms around the screen, and the objective is to destroy the opponent cars. As you progress through the game, the enemies get more difficult to shoot at, and there are pickups scattered throughout the screen that will change your weapon.
This is actually my first shot at making physics in Visual BB. I made it so that when you press the joystick in a direction, the car will gradually speed up, and you can actually swerve around corners. It's also my first game that has animated explosion sprites.
Alright, so I've got everything in the game fully done as far as the game itself goes.
Now is the tricky/fun part: optimizing the code. I've done a lot tonight with optimizing the code.
After going through the entire game and re-arranging portions of the code, I'm amazed to say that the game runs at 262 scanlines with two active cars on the screen. No changes in gameplay had to be done! ^^
When there are 3 cars on the screen, the game runs up to about 274 scanlines, which is way better than the 282 I had it using up before!
Hopefully at this point the game will not roll as much as it did before on the real system.
So, here's to hoping I can get it nice and smooth-running, but 262 scanlines is 16 less than where I am right now, and that seems to be a looong way down. xDD!!!
Here are some of the features I've got in the game:
- Changing backgrounds
- AI difficulty increases as you progress through the game
- 1P and 2P modes
- Changing the left difficulty switch alters the max. speed of the cars.
- During a 2P mode game, the right difficulty switch enables a battle consisting of both players along with an AI car.
- Working game over screen
- High quality title screen (no music as of now)
- Different weapon varieties -- remote mines, homing missiles and fire missiles
- Realistic car physics
- Pressing the reset button during a game will bring you back to the titlescreen
- Two separate score displays for both players during a 2P game
- Awesome explosion effects
Hope you guys like it! ^^
Edited by Lodmot, Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:03 PM.