Photo

Problem with Falcon Disk Drive

5 replies to this topic

#1 Grizaptimus OFFLINE  

Grizaptimus

Space Invader

• 35 posts

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:15 PM

Hey there everyone, I was messing around with my Falcon and an odd problem has come up. Unless I power up the falcon with the disk in the drive it cannot read a floppy. If i want to change disks I have to reset the falcon.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance

#2 Zogging Hell OFFLINE  

Zogging Hell

Chopper Commander

• 216 posts

Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:50 AM

Can you swap it with another one? Maybe reset the NVRAM (or check it hasn't gone bad), not sure this would do much though? What operating system are you using? Any mods in the computer?

#3 Grizaptimus OFFLINE  

Grizaptimus

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:31 AM

I tried swaping with a couple of drives that I had laying around. With the original drive the A: and B: icons will at least show up even if I cant use them. With the other drives I tried the floppy drive icons would not even show up.

I have not checked the NVRAM, how would I reset it?

My Falcon is a vanilla 14MB Falcon running TOS4.04

#4 Official Ninja OFFLINE  

Official Ninja

River Patroller

• 2,605 posts

Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:59 AM

Maybe you need to set the drives as drive 0 ?
Where they used in a pc before?

#5 Grizaptimus OFFLINE  

Grizaptimus

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:15 PM

The drives i had laying around have been in a PC before yes. Unfortunatly I could not find any jumpers or even solder pads for any type of drive select. Too new i guess =(

With the original drive, I was able to boot off a disk and it worked fine, as well as with the disk being in the drive I can access it from TOS just fine. Only when switching disk does it get all buggered up.

#6 Zogging Hell OFFLINE  

Zogging Hell

Chopper Commander

• 216 posts

Posted Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:02 PM

Iirc TOS uses the write protect mechanism of the drive somehow to detect a disk change, sounds like something isn't working there. The drive is free of dust and fluff internally I take it (long shot).

Most PC drives I've encountered do have the jumper, but it can be small and very well hidden, you might need to take the drives to bits to find it (they are usually labelled D0 and D1 (with sometimes D2 and D3 thrown in for good measure)). They can be hidden under removable metal shielding on the drive. Occasionally it is a very small jumper at the back, next to the floppy cable/ power. You can swap over a couple of lines on the disk drive cable to mimic the ID change I believe.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users