Space Ace Joystick

7 replies to this topic

#1 Arkhan OFFLINE  

Arkhan

Stargunner

• 1,375 posts
  • Thug Life.

Posted Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:07 AM

I have one of these, and really like it.

However, I got the thing for free from someone who didn't want their Atari stuff anymore.

It's a bit goony now whenever I try to use it. Do they have a high fail-rate? Or, are they easy to fix up?

or...

are they cheap enough that I could just buy a few more? :)

I'm curious what other joysticks there are like this one. I really prefer it most for Star Raiders and Starmaster. It feels more fun when you have a joystick that resembles a space ship one...

#2 Godzilla OFFLINE  

Godzilla

Quadrunner

• 6,775 posts

Posted Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:38 AM

u mean the space age joystick? I love that stick. Mastertronic made one of that style too iirc...

#3 jaybird3rd ONLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• 7,028 posts

Posted Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 AM

I posted the following about the Space Age joystick in another thread:

The Atari Space Age joystick is a simplified version of the joystick that Milton Bradley originally developed for the MBX Expansion System, for the TI 99/4A. The original is even nicer: it was a self-centering analog joystick which also had a built-in 360° rotation knob, and it had three top action buttons in addition to the trigger. The MBX joystick is exceedingly rare, but the Atari version seems to be less so: Atari2600.com has them for $12.95 each.

#4 Godzilla OFFLINE  

Godzilla

Quadrunner

• 6,775 posts

Posted Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:23 PM

Neat! Never really heard of the mbx before! Looks like it had some cool games!

#5 godzillajoe OFFLINE  

godzillajoe

River Patroller

• 2,531 posts

Posted Fri Mar 2, 2012 3:20 PM

Yeah that Bigfoot game needs a 2600 version. Is there an emulator for that MBX thing?

#6 jaybird3rd ONLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• 7,028 posts

Posted Fri Mar 2, 2012 3:30 PM

The MBX is a neat little peripheral; I've had lots of fun with mine. It was originally to be a game system in its own right before Milton Bradley decided that the console market was too crowded already, so they repackaged it as an add-on for the 99/4A (for which Milton Bradley had done a lot of development work). All that would be needed to make the MBX into a standalone console would be its own video subsystem, and a cartridge slot. Unfortunately, MBX support is not included in any 99/4A emulator that I know of, and the MBX units themselves—especially working ones in good cosmetic condition—are quite rare.

#7 Godzilla OFFLINE  

Godzilla

Quadrunner

• 6,775 posts

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2012 11:54 PM

some of the animated gifs on that page look like they came from an emu. Would love to have one of these in my collection one day :)

#8 jaybird3rd ONLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• 7,028 posts

Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012 12:45 PM

some of the animated gifs on that page look like they came from an emu. Would love to have one of these in my collection one day :)

Many (but not all) of the MBX games do not actually require the MBX; you can play them on a stock 99/4A computer, but the features which require an MBX—speech recognition, the 360-degree joystick, and so forth—will be disabled. These games will work in a 99/4A emulator, but at present, the games which require the MBX (such as Championship Baseball) will not.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users