Game Boy Advance SP NES-style design

5 replies to this topic

#1 atari2600land OFFLINE  

atari2600land

Quadrunner

• 7,803 posts
  • Happy birthday, Abe!

Posted Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:53 PM

I saw one at the store for $40. I thought to myself "that's kind of high for a Game Boy Advance." So looking through my GBA games I find some Classic NES Series games, which sparked me wanting this one. So I go on eBay and see for myself that $40 apparently is about right. Is it true that these things are worth that much money, or can I find them elsewhere for lower? By the way, I have the Super Mario Bros. Classic NES Series one, I remember seeing it at that store and I already had it and it was priced at $30! And I bought it I think new for about $10-20. So anyway, what's the deal with the price on the GBA-SP NES-style design ones?

#2 fiddlepaddle OFFLINE  

fiddlepaddle

Stargunner

• 1,688 posts

Posted Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:11 PM

SPs are a little more desirable because they still play all GB games (unlike the DS), and they have a lit screen (unlike earlier GB models). $40 seems a bit high, but location may also be a factor. If it's in really good condition and it's the two LED light version, and I still didn't have one, I'd pay it unless I could easily find it for less.

I don't know what you mean by NES-style... did they make a toaster version of the SP?

#3 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 8,294 posts

Posted Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:17 PM

I don't know what you mean by NES-style... did they make a toaster version of the SP?

Yes, there was a limited-edition NES-style SP unit:

http://rover.ebay.co...id=p3286.c0.m14

They are more sought after than the standard SP systems. Still not terribly expensive, but they do cost more than a regular SP.

Japan also had one modeled after their Famicom system. Both territories had re-released NES/Famicom games with box art modeled after the original titles.

#4 MagitekAngel OFFLINE  

MagitekAngel

River Patroller

• 2,141 posts

Posted Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:38 PM

A word of caution - the Classic NES GBA SP is a frontlit-only model (AGS-001). I've never bothered to seek one out because once you try the backlit variant (AGS-101), it is very difficult to go back.

#5 Jibbajaba ONLINE  

Jibbajaba

River Patroller

• 3,885 posts
  • Senior Executive Editor - Classic Gaming Quarterly

Posted Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:57 PM

You can take the backlit screen out of its SP and stick it in the NES SP.

Chris

#6 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

Stargunner

• 1,540 posts

Posted Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:29 PM

You found one of the NES SP's in a store lately?...gee, gotta shop where YOU shop! Lol...I've been looking for one but the prices are goofy. I just want a second one to match my black one.

Personally, I'd like this: The buttons of the Advance (control pad on the SP is not nearly as comfy), the screen size of the SP (and overall shape), backlight from the latter SP. In fact, I think just a backlit Advance would make me happy.

I have two GB Micros I found in a thrift shop (super steal, dirt cheap and they were brand new)...the screens are very bright, the control pads are great but the screens are just too small.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users