IGNORED

Computer & Video Games magazine type-in games

TEXAS_JOE

Here is a quirky game, for TI BASIC, taken from issue 13 of C & VG magazine.

These listings were notorious for bugs and errors, and even when they worked, the games were often questionable!

SPACELAZER.zip

Use keys S & D for left and right, and space bar fires lazer.

Edited by TEXAS_JOE
  • Like 1

Yeah, there's still plenty of bugs, typos or whatever.

C&VG was a really nice magazine. Monthly, first issue November 1981 and final issue October 2004. Nice support for the TI-99/4A until early 1985 with almost 30 main type-ins. I did type in the first, Speed Race (issue 3), tedious, and too many bugs, but it gave me an idea of what the implementation was about. One nice idea was the number of sprites moving down quickly outside asphalt area to give illusion of speed. I assume the max. of 4 sprites per scanline was then, player anywhere, vertical number of cars, stuff to the left and stuff to the right - suppose it was to be trees etc., but never bother debugging it to get those graphics right. Attached.

I think I bought it mainly in the mid eighties, but then more a supplement of my C64 experience. Next on was the Amiga and all the more specific magazines for that one.

Edited by sometimes99er

Speaking of de-bugging games, there was a section in C&VG called "Bug-Hunter" , where people would write in to the magazine to mention bugs that came up in the type-in games. Anyhow, the man who was the "Bug-Hunter", I can't remember his name, was eventually arrested for hacking into Prince Phillip's E-mails in 1985. Anyhow, he was acquitted of the crime because the law-courts didn't have a clue what they were doing, it was the first offence of it's kind!

Neat trivia; I never even knew of this magazine. I'm looking forward to trying out those two games (and debugging them) and hope to find more (either here or elsewhere). Thanks, guys.

I briefly went through GameBase, and didn't find the games there. I guess it would be a tiny bit easier to debug, if you have scans of the program listings, a line or something could be missing, so here goes ...

• 11 months later...

Ahhh...! Those were the days... Many a morning/afternoon/evening sitting in front of the TV in the living room ruining my eyesight typing those bloody games in! It was a family affair: My mum would read the code ("call vee-char!") and I or my father would take shifts at the keyboard.

After typing it in, we would spend ages de-bugging the bugs that *we* had introduced while typing it in, only to find that it didn't work (or was crap)!

When I explain all this stuff to my kids with a nostalgic glint in my eye they look at me like I'm nuts! :D

• Like 2

Ahhh...! Those were the days... Many a morning/afternoon/evening sitting in front of the TV in the living room ruining my eyesight typing those bloody games in! It was a family affair: My mum would read the code ("call vee-char!") and I or my father would take shifts at the keyboard.

After typing it in, we would spend ages de-bugging the bugs that *we* had introduced while typing it in, only to find that it didn't work (or was crap)!

When I explain all this stuff to my kids with a nostalgic glint in my eye they look at me like I'm nuts! :D

heh .... my dad " ..... it says COLON COLON .... " he was never sure of what he was reading :P

Here's a TI-BASIC game from C & VG, written by Neil Mckay, back in April 1984, called "Hunchback Rescue"

RESCUE.zip

Control with S-Left D-Right, Space to jump (make sure Caps Lock is down)

I can't get past the second screen ! :woozy:

Note: Won't run in Ext. Basic due to character set 16 in use

That's funny. Here's a snapshot from the game.

hunch1.png

Another game, with the same name, Hunchback Rescue, is in the Gamebase, requires Ext. Basic, written by Carsten Ziepke, same year.

hunch2.png

Some of the same graphics and colors. Looked at the arcade and some other platforms, but the bricks are not like that.

:)

Edited by sometimes99er

I just found this , Prison Run by Charles Sharp (Computer & Video Games magazine, May 1984)

PRISON.zip

When I were young, I had my TI99 given to me by my cousin David Gibbs. This game came with it, on cassette.

I thought for all this time that cousin David had made the game, because he wrote his name as the author!

This game took around 7 minutes to load from cassette (when it DID load) and was difficult to play (for me as a child)

See what you think :)

post-34058-0-51615900-1359631567_thumb.png

• Like 1

Here's a small file to make Basic programs run under XB with 32K Ram-Expansion.

Start XB

Type NEW

Load your Basic program

Then type MERGE DSK1.VDP

You can then run it, or preferably save it with a new filename. I sugest adding an "X" to the original file name.

Remember the resulting program now only runs under XB with 32K. So DON'T OVERWRITE your original file!!

Line numbering starts at 30000 for this program. So check what the last line number of your Basic program is. A CALL FILES(1) after NEW some times help loading large pesky programs. You can even run two instances of Classic99 (same program loaded in Basic and XB) to delete and re-add line numbers.

Made this in the late 80's from various tid-bits gleamed from newsletter articles, and other sources.

Have fun gaming ...

VDP.zip

• Like 2

Here's a TI-BASIC game from C & VG, written by Neil Mckay, back in April 1984, called "Hunchback Rescue"

RESCUE.zip

Control with S-Left D-Right, Space to jump (make sure Caps Lock is down)

I can't get past the second screen ! :woozy:

Note: Won't run in Ext. Basic due to character set 16 in use

Just played if for 15 minutes it works fine in RXB?

But then I fixed goofy stuff like this in XB for RXB.

Well, if I have the patience to do it, I have C & VG issues 2 to 31 on my other computer. I can have a bash at typing some listings in.

Would like that Joe, depending on the quality of the scans could they OCR? Not sure what issue the TI99 stuff is published until but the entire collection is available on Underground Gamer and places on the net.

Any more of these C&VG listings available in file format? Only have a couple of them in the Gamebase and would like to incorporate them all.

I think you have most of them. Which then turned out differently with Hunchback.

#03 Speed Race

#12 Hungarian Squares

#13 Space Laser

#14 Hungarian Hex

#15 Target

#16 Pompeii

#17 Defuse

#19 Skiing

#20 Substrike

#21 3D Road Race

#21 Frogger

#21 Meteor