IGNORED

Mega ST2

kixs

Hello,

I would like to know if there is any special use of this computer? I already have a 1040STFM but would like to have a Mega machine too.

I got an offer to buy the Mega ST2, SH205, SM124, mouse and keyboard. But I don't know what would be the fair price for the package, any suggestions?

Thanks

He finally decided on the price: 200€ :-o :-o

Not for me :(

I still don't know what are the practical advantages over 1040STFM? More memory (where can this be used), SH205 (this can also be connected to STFM), seperate keyboard/case (I like the design). I guess I would like to have it because I like the design ;) Better yet I like the design of Mega STE / TT even more :grin: Ah, maybe one day...

He didn't send me any pictures. I wanted to know the price first. I offered 50€ and then he said that he will get more on ebay. But as I watched a few auctions over the weekend none got over 50€ for a similar system. Maybe I should register with ebay and make some bids. :)

I still don't know what are the practical advantages over 1040STFM? More memory (where can this be used), SH205 (this can also be connected to STFM), seperate keyboard/case (I like the design). I guess I would like to have it because I like the design ;) Better yet I like the design of Mega STE / TT even more :grin: Ah, maybe one day...

As you already noted, the Mega ST has the separate keyboard, and nicer looking case. Also, it had a fan, which is a plus but certainly not a necessity. Most Mega's came with 2 or 4 megs of RAM installed. They also have the blitter chip. An expansion port is included internally for multiple (albeit a bit hard to find these days) add-ons and accessory's such as graphics cards, memory expansion, etc,.

Another nice thing about the Mega ST case is all the room - you can add a lot of things and actually have the space for it.

IMHO, the Mega STe's are all the Mega's are, plus a nicer looking case, easily upgradeable RAM and hard drive, plus TOS 2.06 and the ability to run at 16mhz.

TT's are a another level up altogether. :)

HTHs.

As you already noted, the Mega ST has the separate keyboard, and nicer looking case. Also, it had a fan, which is a plus but certainly not a necessity. Most Mega's came with 2 or 4 megs of RAM installed. They also have the blitter chip. An expansion port is included internally for multiple (albeit a bit hard to find these days) add-ons and accessory's such as graphics cards, memory expansion, etc,.

Another nice thing about the Mega ST case is all the room - you can add a lot of things and actually have the space for it.

IMHO, the Mega STe's are all the Mega's are, plus a nicer looking case, easily upgradeable RAM and hard drive, plus TOS 2.06 and the ability to run at 16mhz.

TT's are a another level up altogether. :)

HTHs.

If the Mega ST computers have a blitter in them, can they play STe games? Like Obsession?

If the Mega ST computers have a blitter in them, can they play STe games? Like Obsession?

I wish! It's not as simple as just the blitter chip being there I'm afraid. The STe has an

increased palette, genlock support, PCM audio, just better multimedia stuff all the

way around. I guess its what the ST should have been from the start.

I wish! It's not as simple as just the blitter chip being there I'm afraid. The STe has an

increased palette, genlock support, PCM audio, just better multimedia stuff all the

way around. I guess its what the ST should have been from the start.

Thanks. Shows what I know about the hardware.... I just like to play...

I noticed the game Wings of Death has blitter support. So I guess the Mega ST2 could take advantage of that.

I wonder how many other games have support for the blitter like WoD does...

I'm not sure - umm, I think Atarimania or some of those other game sites might show what each

game supports or takes advantage of. Can't remember which it is right off hand...

It is Atarimania. It doesn't exactly say blitter support but read here:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st-wings-of-death_s9681.html

It does at least work on an stock .5meg ST so it should be great on the Mega.

If you can think of the title, you can at least research it there for some info. :)

HTHs! :)

I wouldn't buy a Mega ST unless it was cheap, the 1040STE with £10 worth of SIMMs is a better option apart from the case design and keyboard quality.

However a Mega STE with 16mhz clock, STE enhancements and option for built in hard drive is a great machine which I would buy if I saw one for a reasonable price, the Mega STE and TT also have by far the nicest keyboards too. However those rarely pop up on ebay UK.