IGNORED

What Do You Do With Your Dead Carts?

CastleofIllusion

Well, I generally get them stuffed, after a proper interval of course. Then when I can make time, during the afternoon, I dress them up, arrange them neatly around a round table, and we have tea, play cards, and read poetry to each other. Schnookums is the best poet, he has a deep soul. Then at night, well...

Oh, wait -- dead carts? Never mind, then. Sorry.

• Like 4

Put them on ebay as "untested".

That was a bad joke. I have bought quite a few dead carts off ebay, I smash dead carts to pieces so that no one will ever feel the disappointment I felt.

1)Solaris (did not work)

2)Ghost busters (game would crash when I went back to headquarters).

3)Frankenstein (did not work, sold as untested)

this was all in the past 3-6 mths.

Because of the age of the games(30+ years), if they arrive broken, I just accept it gracefully.

By smashing them!.

Let's see, over the years I've had:

- four Intellivision carts I thought were dead, but one of those worked in someone else's system -- jury's out on the other three;

- two dead Genesis carts, one of which I gave to someone who also couldn't get it to work;

- two dead 7800 carts, neither of which boot no matter what I try;

- one dead C64 cart, which turned out to have damage to the traces and was repaired;

- one dead NES cart, which I sold to someone on AA for super-cheap (it was a rare-ish cart) in the mutual hope that they might get it working;

- and one dead CoCo cart, though it possibly wasn't dead but just needed a cleaning (this was when I was younger and didn't know any better).

I think that's all of them. Oddly I don't think I've ever had a dead VCS cart (despite having hundreds pass through my hands), nor a dead SNES cart. Just about every shell can be used for something, though.

How common are dead carts? So far all the carts I bought off ebay, craigslist, local game stores, etc. have worked. I had a bunch of carts that wouldn't work initially, but worked after a cleaning or two.

Lets put it this way, Out of the 150 carts I got, I have 4 dead ones.

k, thanks. It looks like dead carts are kind of rare, but I'll probably get one sooner or later.

I have just been real lucky but in over 30 years collecting (on and off) and hundreds if not a thousand+ carts I have messed with , I have never run into a dead Atari 2600 cart that at some point I did not get working again with proper time and cleaning.

Edited by Atari2600Lives