IGNORED

FINALLY! Vectrex overlay repro's

VicViper

Most definitely - the only thing is I'm not sure exactly how many I'll be making from the home brew games. So my next step is to change my site from just the "entire set" discount to a mix and match discount.

Here is what I am thinking:

Mix and Match

1 overlay = $12.99/each

10 overlays = $10.99/each (save $20)

20+ overlays = $9.99/each (save $60)

Of course eBay isn't going to easily accomodate this sort of group pricing so I guess I'll stick to the single orders on eBay and use it as a marketing tool where I answer questions and redirect people to my http://www.skywaytwincities.com/Vectrex site.

Since eBay generates orders of 1-10 overlays for me on occasion, I skipped the 5 overlay discount...I don't want an unsuspecting eBay purchaser to order 7 overlays at $12.99 only to learn that they could have saved money if they ordered from my site instead.

Edited by omeganu

I saw the eBay listing today. They look great. Any plans to make Protector and YASI overlays? Earlier today, I bumped a thread on these fantastic homebrews.

Thanks! YASI and Protector have "official" overlays out there and I'm trying to contact the game creator to get their OK on duplicating it. If I am unsuccessful I will just create an original overlay of my own for use with those games that gives a similar (if not improved) playing experience.

To be honest, I love my Protector/Y.A.S.I. cart (original with the box edition), but the overlay that came with it is mostly a purple shaded sheet... ;-)

I think an overlay with a sky and ground seperation would appeal to those of us who own the original already.

And I'd love an overlay for Y.A.S.I. (or one of the other SI clones) that has different colors for the enemies as they drop levels...

desiv

Edited by desiv
  • Like 1

To be honest, I love my Protector/Y.A.S.I. cart (original with the box edition), but the overlay that came with it is mostly a purple shaded sheet... ;-)

I think an overlay with a sky and ground seperation would appeal to those of us who own the original already.

And I'd love an overlay for Y.A.S.I. (or one of the other SI clones) that has different colors for the enemies as they drop levels...

desiv

The overlays look great. I would be all over the Protector/YASI overlays as well.

Cheers

Bob

Uniquely created Protector and YASI overlays it is! A good weekend project for me! In the meantime, keep the suggestions coming...I'm working off of an emulator for those as I don't have the cartridges - this project may span out over time as I try to track down one of those microSD carts that I can upload ROMs on to so I can test the dimensions of the overlay on my actual Vectrex.

Wow. This is really cool to see. I have loved the homebrew scene on Vectrex for years but the programmers have often found the process of making overlays too time consuming, expensive, or both. Since you've tried to reach out to the authors of YASI and Protector, have you considered talking to George(Fury), John Dondzilla (Classic game creations) and other programmers. I'm sure that they have some ideas for overlays that were never made for games in their libraries and with your help and input we might finally have overlays for games like War of the Worlds, Space Frenzy, Gravitrex, Sundance, etc.....

......and Star Fire....that would be flippin' sweet

Keep up the great work,

Bob

• Like 1

Here is what I am thinking:

Mix and Match

1 overlay = $12.99/each

10 overlays = $10.99/each (save $20)

20+ overlays = $9.99/each (save $60)

...and here is what I am DOING:

Mix and Match

1 overlay = $9.99/each

5 overlays = $9.49/each

10 overlays = $8.99/each

20 overlays = $8.49/each

20+ overlays = $7.99/each

These will be the new prices moving forward. For any of you that purchased the entire set already, I'll be happy to gift you two of my custom home brew overlays (see eBay auction). Shoot me an email directly to request that.

Edited by omeganu

as I try to track down one of those microSD carts

Out of stock right now as I've run out of cart cases. I've Emailed the guy I usually get them from, but it's been nearly a week and no answer yet :(

Can you send me the board? I've got duplicates of some carts that I could swap out the original game board for this one and use the case.

• 4 weeks later...

I HIGHLY recommend this person. I bought about half myself and even though the first batch didn't come out well, he was VERY EASY to work with and was able to send them back to get redone. Sometimes if they come out only a little bit tall, just take some scissors and trim a little off the bottom. He does these BY HAND so they aren't going to come out perfect every time. But, for me with a VecMulti, they were a godsend and I am MORE than happy with my purchase. Sorry, I couldn't get the others, guy. I REALLY went over my budget lmfao. Maybe when I get some more dough.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I can finally add YASI, Protector and Moon Lander to my list! I also decided to funnel all purchases through eBay despite the fees. Even though interest in overlays has dropped severely, I need to have a single place to check pending order, track shipments, etc...and working outside of eBay confused things in some cases. Let's just hope I don't get another negative strike from a yahoo that can't read the item description assuming these are newly printed originals and/or won't accept my offer to accept a return and full refund....blah.

I'm also ready to settle on a final Vectrex Kiosk stand....basic, much like the photos I posted in the other thread.....will ship flat and easy to assemble. I just need to come up with a fair price because the process of making one is labor intensive!

Well I can finally add YASI, Protector and Moon Lander to my list! I also decided to funnel all purchases through eBay despite the fees. Even though interest in overlays has dropped severely, I need to have a single place to check pending order, track shipments, etc...and working outside of eBay confused things in some cases. Let's just hope I don't get another negative strike from a yahoo that can't read the item description assuming these are newly printed originals and/or won't accept my offer to accept a return and full refund....blah.

Excellent! I'm going to order those 3 today. I saw then on ebay and they look great.