IGNORED

Atari 8 bit file extensions

npturton

Is there a definative list of all the 8 bit file extensions, what package was made to use them and how they are used (SIO2SD/SIO2PC/Emulators/SDrive) etc

I see there are at least these

.CAS

.XEX

.BIN

.COM

Native extensions

.BAS

Ian K ?

Rob C ?

Multiboot ?

File extensions to identify what version of OS/DOS is the file in

Im sure this would be absolutely brilliant if we could set up a full list of file extensions showing what hardward/firmware utilises them. Better to word the explanations as simply as possible so all new members can get a full grip of the multitude of file types

Maybe set the topic as a sticky?

Nigel

Emulation there's also .ROM .A8S .ATZ and a whole bunch more.

Some extensions are in common with other Win based programs so think twice before allowing certain file associations to take place.

Native machine, for the most part extensions are optional. Some applications use their own extensions.

Doses have some that are expected such as .SYS .COM

For the most part, language and binary files are validated not by extension but by sequences of byte/s at the start of the file.

A topic should be sticky when it answers users frequently asked questions.

It's the first time in many years that a similar question is asked so I don't think I similar topic should be sticky at all.

In Atari 8-bit computers FAQ there is this part:

9.2) What file formats for entire disks/tapes/cartridges are there?

However, a complete list of extensions could be nice.

Well,

some file-extensions can be found in the A8FAQ:

ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/faqs/atari-8-bit/faq

in sections 8.05 and 9.2. I once wrote an article for Abbuc magazine with an even bigger list, sorted by genre (pgming, gfx, snds, archiver/packer, etc. etc.), but alas I do not have the DOC or RTF file anymore...

-Andreas Koch.

• 2 years later...

NecroAlert!

It is said that file name extensions are arbitrary and are generally only to lessen user confusion, and let the running program know which files are it's data.

In that case, generically speaking, for an executable, does it matter what the file extension is?

For example if Bubble.EXE is a game, and I renamed it to Bubble.TXT could I execute it normally?

In other words, does, generically speaking, an executeable have to have a specific extension to execute? (.COM, .EXE, etc.)

I keep saying "generically speaking" because I'm trying not to get tied to a specific DOS. I'm sure there are DOS' out there that are absolutely restrictive and others that don't even care if the file has a filename at all. (OK, maybe not that one.)

No. The only other possible way to load and save is LISTing and Entering like in Atari Basic bit I am not sure if you can do that in either language.

That's what I'm assuming. I've never particularly used either of the languages, but I didn't think MSB was able to compile to an executable. My question was just a little rhetoric for Subby...

Actually, even if they could compile, any object code is just going to have the extension .COM, .EXE, .XEX, .OBJ, etc. anyway; unless it was compiled code that could only run from a runtime executable, or something of the like.

So are you saying you've created these two extensions yourself, based on not hearing or seeing any other commonly used extensions for these two filetypes?

Edited by MrFish

That's what I'm assuming. I've never particularly used either of the languages, but I didn't think MSB was able to compile to an executable. My question was just a little rhetoric for Subby...

Actually, even if they could compile, any object code is just going to have the extension .COM, .EXE, .XEX, .OBJ, etc. anyway; unless it was compiled code that could only run from a runtime executable, or something of the like.

So are you saying you've created these two extensions yourself, based on not hearing or seeing any other commonly used extensions for these two filetypes?

Yes. I needed to call them something and they just seemed logical and didn't conflict with anything else that I know of. If I come across something better or some possible standard I will change them. :)

Allan