IGNORED

HSC Round 4.25: Swimmer

Swimmer (Set 1)

The comic gameplay involves swimming up a river while avoiding logs and various marine life. The player collects fruit to score points and power up to knock enemies out. Players could swim from side to side to avoid obstacles, or press a button to dive under them. The aim of the game is to swim until the character reaches the treasure island.

-wiki

Game Information

Game Name: Swimmer

Released By: Tehkan 1982

MAME ROMset: Swimmer

Dip Switches: Lives: 3; Bonus life: 10K; Easy

Chosen By: LarcenTyler

ROM Location: http://romhustler.ne...9/swimmer-set-1 (not tested)

AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC Record: n/a

Competition ends Sunday, March 11th @ 12PM EST

Leaderboard

60,620 Cynicaster

55,850 bigbee99

50,460 kane

45,410 M.A.M.E Offender

44,780 Raygunn

34,590 acelkin

28,620 Kurt_Woloch

16,300 roadrunner

12,730 LarcenTyler

11,360 patbb

10,190 JohnnyBlaze

4,190 jblenkle

Season Standings

Calculations through round 24

1. M.A.M.E Offender 391

2. bigbee99 384

3. Cynicaster 339

4. patbb 236

5. mr. toast 166

6. kane 121

7. roadrunner 98

8. acelkin 88

9. LarcenTyler 80

10. richard stewart 78

11. Barra 66

12. JohnnyBlaze 54

13. kojr 39

13. keilbaca 39

15. mightymage 23

16. retrorussell 19

17. rmaerz 16

18. NE146 8

18. jblenkle 8

20. onmode-ky 5

21. Fres 1

Edited by bigbee99

Also if you have not voted for which weeks to run the Spring Break tourny, the thread is still there :) Looking like it will be April 8th to April 22nd as of right now. I will be setting up the request thread next week.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/194724-spring-break-tournament-date-poll/

B

I managed to make it to the 2nd loop. I also added a pic of the bonuses I received at the end of the loop. Neat game. I can't say I have put much time on it before.

Edging out M.A.M.E.O. by a mere 1k :P

About this weeks game selection... I know I had said that I was going to use either keilbaca or eggomania's request but they have been kinda MIA for a bit. So I just randomly select out of the players that had submitted a score for Dig Dug II and then went with one of their selections. So if you have not made request in the "request thread" now's the time. I think I am going to keep doing it that way from here on out.

B

post-29567-0-05998000-1330899038_thumb.png

Edited by bigbee99

About this weeks game selection... I know I had said that I was going to use either keilbaca or eggomania's request but they have been kinda MIA for a bit. So I just randomly select out of the players that had submitted a score for Dig Dug II and then went with one of their selections. So if you have not made request in the "request thread" now's the time. I think I am going to keep doing it that way from here on out.

B

For what it's worth, I think this is a pretty good way to do it. Might as well keep the selections coming from the people who are playing.

Well, not improving in the standings with this score, but it'll lift me up if there are other scores submitted. I don't understand the bonus part, I had all 4 rows of fruit filled up, but it only gave me the strawberry bonus of 1000?

post-2353-0-27867000-1330959575_thumb.png

I started playing this at the Dream Machine arcade at the South Hills mall in 1982. loved the games unique features- the match for an extra life, The bonus fruits you had to match up, the fact that you weren't completely invincible once you got the manna (power pellet) and two words- GIANT CRAB!. Just one of those odd little games in the corner that no one wanted to play, so you could just walk up and put your quarter in and have fun. It also was a game you could learn to to play quickly, but get past the first round, and see how much harder it gets!

swimmer score

swimmer score 2

Me And My baby

Well, jump ahead 24 years, and I had the chance to own one! I couldn't pass it up- In fact it's one of my families favorite games! On an interesting side-note, a couple of years ago I had the chance to open a small classic arcade in a restaurant in my town. I had my Mario Bros, Xybots, Zaxxon, Vanguard, Swimmer, Mappy, a Multi - Pac and a crane in this small game room. I painted the walls Black, Put up some rope-light, and away I went! We were a hit right away (people were coming in to play games and not to eat!) Well, one night I was in putting plush in the crane, when I saw a man in the corner, looking at my Swimmer, ready to cry. I'm thinking, its another collector, and I'm not selling my game! After talking to him, it turned out he worked for Centuri Electronics in their art department. He created all the artwork for swimmer, as well as, Phoenix, Pleiades, and everything else that rolled off their floor. He told me that out of all the games he created art for, that swimmer was his favorite! He was impressed of the condition of my game (considering that most Swimmers were converted early on) and he told me he has the ORIGINAL ART FILES he created for this game! he gave me his card ( he has his own sign company in Orlando now) and he would be happy to reprint the graphics for me anytime. Just goes to show you, it is a small world. Well gang that's my four quarters worth- Keep playin' Like It's 1981!

Raygunn

• Like 3

I can see that Bigbee is not going to allow a chincy score to win this week's game.

Here is my improvement submission.

@Raygunn, that was a pretty neat story about the original artwork on this game. It is indeed a small world.

The 2nd loop is CRAZY! I don't see myself passing it.

B

I'm actually enjoying these obscure games I've never seen/heard of, makes it more fun!

10-4! I've been participating in this club for almost a year and have spent time with dozens of games I'd never played or heard of; most of them have been great, and I probably never would have played them otherwise. In fact, although I think we have decent participation here, I'm sometimes a bit surprised that more people don't hop in here to compete; because for me, it's hard to imagine a more fun way to enjoy classic arcade games in 2012. The faithfulness made possible by the miracle of MAME, the variety of games, and the friendly competition are a very entertaining combination.

I think Swimmer is a pretty cool game, never heard of it before. I started a thread in the arcade forums (http://www.atariage....t-become-cheap/) about what separates "difficult" from "cheap" in arcade games, and I think this game is a good example of one that is able to keep you playing even though it gets very difficult. I enjoyed it. It's almost like an "inverse platformer" in that rather than running about and jumping over things you're swimming about and diving under things.

My only real nit with the game is the sound; I heard that Swimmer was nominated at the 1982 Arcade Awards for most irritating sound but lost to Nibbler. :P

Swimmer - 40,810

Edited by Cynicaster