IGNORED

Gameboy Color dim picture. Back lit?

Are Gameboy Colors supposed to be back lit? I thrifted one a while back and it seems to have a very dim picture until I tilt it just right, but then it's at an uncomfortable angle for gaming. If these were not supose to be back lit can a light be added?

No, it wasn't until the SP that a major gameboy was backlit. The color just has a reflective screen. Not sure why you have issues, does the GBC have a contrast knob?

There are wormlights available, but I've only heard of backlight mods for original gameboys.

The GBC isn't, and cannot be backlit. It can be frontlit--either with an external unit, like the worm light mentioned, or by using an internal frontlight, like the gba afterburner, or the one from the GBA SP(v1). Internal frontlights wash out the colors pretty badly, though.

Internal frontlights wash out the colors pretty badly, though.

Some light is better than no light though, right? :P

most of the time. Though the stock GBC screen looks great in situations with bright, natural light. The thing also runs just about forever on two AA batteries--both of those make it a great 'actually traveling' system.

I'm going to be flying (during the day) a couple times in the next week or so, and GBC is a solid contender for going with me. I've got a freshly ebayed dragon warrior i&ii to tackle.

Now 'original' gb can and should be backlit. The system looks just fantastic and it's only about a $15 mod that takes 15-30 min to install. Why weren't these kits around 'back in the day'?

After the AGS-101, I could never go back to anything but a backlit GBA screen. On the other hand, I don't mind at all with the Game Boy Color screen. In my opinion, it had a brighter, more reflective screen than the original Game Boy Advance, and the bright, simple 8-bit color palette was a good match for the screen. I still have my lime green GBC in my top drawer somewhere.

Not sure why you have issues, does the GBC have a contrast knob?

It has no contrast. I think though I may have figured it out. I have not been sitting in good enough light and had to angle it funny to reflect the light from a lamp across the room. Maybe I need to try one these worm lights you mention. Can they be found easily? Ebay maybe?

The GBC and Original GBA had great screens, if you used them right. You can't treat it like a backlit screen, period. You need to position it, and yourself, to capture the most natural light. If you do that, you're golden.

I understand the desire for a backlit screen, really I do... but after learning how to get the most of my original GBA, I never felt the need to upgrade to the SP. Been kinda thinking I should, though, since it's always good to have a spare.

I dunno man.. I have almost every single major Gameboy & GBA hardware release (except the Gameboy Light, etc.). Heck I'm looking at a Gameboy Color right now on my desk. But the truth is, unless you're a stickler of having that original GB/GBC screen and aspect ratio, you just can't beat the GBA SP2 as "the" best way to play original gameboy games. It's just ultra convenient, and works anywhere since light is never a factor. Just my thought.. but then again I still love breaking out the original GB and GBC now and then. They have their own "feel"

mario_picross.jpg

• Like 1

I dunno man.. I have almost every single major Gameboy & GBA hardware release (except the Gameboy Light, etc.). Heck I'm looking at a Gameboy Color right now on my desk. But the truth is, unless you're a stickler of having that original GB/GBC screen and aspect ratio, you just can't beat the GBA SP2 as "the" best way to play original gameboy games. It's just ultra convenient, and works anywhere since light is never a factor. Just my thought.. but then again I still love breaking out the original GB and GBC now and then. They have their own "feel"

Yeah, I don't feel the need to get an SP2, but it would sure be nice to have. I had the chance to get one NIB for less than $70 when I worked at Circuit City. Now the same thing would cost me over $300 on eBay. I should have bought ten, kept one, and sold the others a few years later!

Now the same thing would cost me over $300 on eBay.

What!? $300?? Are they rare now or something?

I bought mine at the tail end of it's retail life when the DS's came out.. conciously knowing that if I didn't buy it now, I probably wouldn't be able to find it new in stores for longer. But I didn't know they would be desirable later.

Bought my last summer for 10 euro. Not boxed but it had the power supply and owner manual. I love that screen, it's so much better to look at, at least you don't have to sit in unnatural positions to see what's going on on screen.

I bought mine at the tail end of it's retail life when the DS's came out.. conciously knowing that if I didn't buy it now, I probably wouldn't be able to find it new in stores for longer. But I didn't know they would be desirable later.

Rare in the sense that it's not super easy to come across one NISB, and with handhelds, it's hard to gauge over the internet if the unit has an unacceptable level of wear. There's no shortage of them, but quality does command a premium.

Rare in the sense that it's not super easy to come across one NISB, and with handhelds, it's hard to gauge over the internet if the unit has an unacceptable level of wear.  There's no shortage of them, but quality does command a premium.

They're still easily available at used game stores. Last summer (maybe 8 months ago) I got a yellow pikachu version (TRU special, I think?) in virtually perfect condition at Gamestop in a mall for $35.

• 2 weeks later...