IGNORED

Ikari Warriors vs Commando

toiletunes

Commando is pretty much my favorite game on the 7800. It's the one I always seem to play whenever I have time to sit down with my 7800. For me, the hidden underground rooms add a lot and somehow keep it fresh. I didn't even realize they existed until about a year ago.

Ikari Warriors is a really good game too, but I've always felt the music made it feel "cheap." It could really benefit from pokey sound or even the Yamaha chip of the XM. I used to find it very difficult and I was never able to play through with the proline controllers. However, using the gamepads, I was finally able to complete the game a little over a year ago. BTW, I finally beat Ikari Warriors on the 2600 the other day.

Both games use both buttons of the 7800 controller, so you'll either need to be comfortable with the prolines, get a euro gamepad, or make an adapter/conversion.

It's a tough choice, but if you must choose, I would go with Commando. For me, it has the overall best feel and the most replayability.

There are maps of the hidden areas that were made a few years ago.

I'll just give you an initial hint that doesn't spoil much:

- If I remember right, there's a hidden room on every world.

- try throwing grenades at solid objects, and look for things that are unusual.

-John

So who has beaten Ikari Warriors on the 2600? I finally did just the other day. When I got to the end, I first tried walking up to the whatever it was... and died. Good thing I still had lives left. Shot it and was disappointed by the "ending."

I remember playing these two games back in the early 1990's on our Atari 7800 (it was our first console game, well, actually it belonged to my brother... my parents offered it for him at Christmas with Mario Bros, because it was cheaper that the Nes he actually wanted, and they couldn't really see the difference).

Commando was my own game, because I bought it with my money... I remember being so excited the first time I found these famous hidden rooms. Before that, I would have never imagined that a video game could have any kind of easter egg. At that time, it made me actually proud to have made such a great choice by buying this game.

So I would say that I prefer Commando over Ikari Warriors, even if I had also a lot of fun with Ikari Warriors.

I never beat these two games though.

• 2 months later...

20 years after I played it for the first time, I've finally beaten Ikari Warriors today !

And I had four lives left.

I can beat that game every time I play it. Commando for me is a different story. maybe finish three levels then die. What does the knife do in commando?

20 years after I played it for the first time, I've finally beaten Ikari Warriors today !

And I had four lives left.

I can beat that game every time I play it. Commando for me is a different story. maybe finish three levels then die. What does the knife do in commando?

lol good question about the knife... i just got commando recently and wondered the same thing... probably just an extra to collect for points ?

What does the knife do in commando?

It lets you kill people by running into them. Without the knife, you die when you touch an enemy. The knife is great for the end of mission 2 (I think that's the one), and it's conveniently placed right where you need it so you can stand in that cave where all the enemies come out and they'll instantly die as soon as they appear so you only have to worry about shooting the people who come out of the gate at the top.

No, they aren't in the 2600 version. I really wish they were. They could be hacked in if someone wanted to take up that task. Omegamatrix posted a disassembly file in the 2600 forum recently. It would be nice to expand the game to 32k and add some really nice stuff. I quickly added some palm trees to other levels, but serious changes are well beyond my ability, as it would require a decent understanding of assembly.