IGNORED

My questions for you SEGA MASTER SYSTEM fans!

Well, I don't think much of Woody Pop, and the others are on NES anyway - there's little reason to go out of your way for them on SMS.

Woody Pop isn't the only one though, there's Megumi Rescue, Super Racing, Galactic Protector, Alex Kidd BMX Trial, even Out Run's compatible with the paddle controller. Rygar on the SMS is also very different from the NES game and is well worth playing.

• 1 year later...

SMS Dig!

I just got one for the first time this year, and I like it. Great home versions of Choplifter and SDI (Global Defense)!

I see several people recommending the Master Everdrive in this thread, but wouldn't the Mega Everdrive also do the trick?

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/mega-everdrive-deluxe.html

It is described as playing Master System games:

• Genesis, Mega-drive, Sega Master System, and 32X‡ games supported.

Anyone tried this?

Edit: I realize of course that a Genesis is required

The Everdrive MD allows Master System games to be played on the Genesis.

However, the Master Everdrive allows SG-1000 games to be played on the Master System. The Genesis - although it will play Master System games - won't play SG-1000 games. The Master System and the Master Everdrive SG-1000 capability is what made that combo attractive to me.

• Like 1

I love my master system, picked it up this time last year. I had a power base converter and a few games growing up, but the best games I have I've gotten over this last year since I got the console.

Phantasy Star was mind blowing considering the age of the game, and the competition at the time of its release. It holds up today, but I think you have to either use maps or make them - I tried making them and it was fun, but I eventually gave in to checking online to progress.

Govellius is what I have been playing most recently, and it's an absolute blast. I most often hear that it's a Zelda clone, and while yes that's hard to deny, it seriously undersells the gameplay creativity. The dungeons are more like a SHMUP than a Zelda clone. I'd say it's the level structure of Zelda II. Instead of going into battle for encounters like in Zelda 2, you instead go fight on the overworld like Zelda, or Crystalis if you've played that.When you are in dungeons, instead of metroidvania level design, the dungeon is progressed through like a SHMUP. In addition to these systems, there's a progression system like a lot of RPGS at the time where you grind enemies for gold to upgrade your character in order to progress. Highly reccomended for fun and unique gameplay combinations - add to it great graphics and addictive soundtrack, and you have a winner IMO.

Cyborg Hunter is another I've been playing a bit of recently, and I really feel like this game is ahead of its time. A side scrolling shooter kind of like metroid, but there is a first person view on screen at all times that shows you enemies off screen, and a map system screen, and upgrade weapons and items. I really enjoy it.

The only game on the system I've beaten is Ghouls N' Ghosts. Yep, and this is the only version I've beaten. If you've ever wanted to tell people you've beaten Ghouls N' Ghosts, this is the version to do it :P Really though, it's a fun version if you can get over the massive slowdown.

I actually had a lot of fun with a random game, Dick Tracey. The gameplay is oddly addicting lol

Govellius is what I have been playing most recently, and it's an absolute blast. I most often hear that it's a Zelda clone, and while yes that's hard to deny, it seriously undersells the gameplay creativity. The dungeons are more like a SHMUP than a Zelda clone. I'd say it's the level structure of Zelda II. Instead of going into battle for encounters like in Zelda 2, you instead go fight on the overworld like Zelda, or Crystalis if you've played that.When you are in dungeons, instead of metroidvania level design, the dungeon is progressed through like a SHMUP. In addition to these systems, there's a progression system like a lot of RPGS at the time where you grind enemies for gold to upgrade your character in order to progress. Highly reccomended for fun and unique gameplay combinations - add to it great graphics and addictive soundtrack, and you have a winner IMO.

That game had two big faults though. The lack of a save feature is a big disappointment. Not a fan of password games. Way too much work. Also, maybe it's just me, but I found the control so bad it makes it nearly unplayable.

Edited by Zap!

That game had two big faults though. The lack of a save feature is a big disappointment. Not a fan of password games. Way too much work. Also, maybe it's just me, but I found the control so bad it makes it nearly unplayable.

The offset character attack on the overworld was a huge adjustment for me, but once I got used to offsetting my character with the enemy it became a lot easier. Also, "kiting" enemies seems to work the best. It bothered me initially how enemies never stop spawning, but there is usually a max to the amount of enemies that will be alive at once. I would run circles around them until they bunch up, and the pull them into a choke point and kill them all fast. I thought it was a lot of fun strategics planning my attacks. I used to hate password features before the modern age of digital cameras, now my phone is full of passwords. I can see how it's cumborsom, but for me it's no longer a detterant - while in the past I would just outright not play a game if there were passwords especially if the paswords had l's I's and 1's or O's 0's etc.

Edit: It should be mentioned too, that this game was developed by Compile, which is why it probably has the shump influence. Give it a go again, if you haven't in a while :)

How does everyone feel about "The Ninja" for the SMS? I got that game back in '87 and always loved it.

I have a lot of fun with this one as well. It reminds me of a Ninja version of Gunsmoke on NES which I had back in '86 or so. I never had the Ninja back in the day or I might love this like I love gunsmoke. I like how you can strife, and go invisible to avoid attacks. A ton of fun :)

Edited by Gredler

• 6 months later...