Photo

Very early WIP of something I've been working on for ages...

14 replies to this topic

#1 eshu OFFLINE  

eshu

Chopper Commander

• 249 posts

Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:24 PM

I'm just going to post this up - I don't get to work on it often at all - I'm hoping to have it finished for 2017 for the 40th aniversary of the 2600 but even that is looking unlikely......It's not much beyond the display kernel at the moment, you can make selections on the menus but that's about it......

You'll have to select EFSC in Type under Cartridge to get it running in Stella.

long005.bin.png

Attached File  long005.bin   64KB   198 downloads

#2 atari181 ONLINE  

atari181

River Patroller

• 2,223 posts

Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:27 PM

OMG! that is awesome!.

#3 Wickeycolumbus OFFLINE  

Wickeycolumbus

River Patroller

• 4,725 posts

Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:33 PM

That looks absolutely amazing :-o

#4 Lodmot OFFLINE  

Lodmot

Chopper Commander

• 230 posts

Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:14 PM

HOLY SHIT! You, my friend, are God. :D

#5 Tjoppen OFFLINE  

Tjoppen

Chopper Commander

• 199 posts

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:02 AM

Impressive :)

#6 stephena OFFLINE  

stephena

River Patroller

• 2,511 posts
  • Stella maintainer

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:46 AM

I'm just going to post this up - I don't get to work on it often at all - I'm hoping to have it finished for 2017 for the 40th aniversary of the 2600 but even that is looking unlikely......It's not much beyond the display kernel at the moment, you can make selections on the menus but that's about it......

For some reason, your ROM is coming out at 65534 bytes, which is two bytes shy of a full 64K (65536). I suggest looking at the compiler options used and see if you can generate a full 64K. That way, there's a good chance the autodetection in Stella will set this as EFSC for you automatically.

#7 theloon OFFLINE  

theloon

Quadrunner

• 7,682 posts

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:38 AM

I see more than one color per line on the playfield and sprites. Is this just super custom kernel mangling of balls, bullets and sprite0/sprite1 or does the EFSC standard somehow enable bitmap graphics?

Edited by theloon, Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:38 AM.

#8 eshu OFFLINE  

eshu

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 249 posts

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:51 AM

I see more than one color per line on the playfield and sprites. Is this just super custom kernel mangling of balls, bullets and sprite0/sprite1 or does the EFSC standard somehow enable bitmap graphics?

I guess it's a "super custom kernel mangling of balls, bullets and sprite0/sprite1" :) - try alt-z,x,c,v,b,n in stella to see roughly how it's working....

#9 eshu OFFLINE  

eshu

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 249 posts

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:52 AM

For some reason, your ROM is coming out at 65534 bytes, which is two bytes shy of a full 64K (65536). I suggest looking at the compiler options used and see if you can generate a full 64K. That way, there's a good chance the autodetection in Stella will set this as EFSC for you automatically.

ahhh cool - i'll take a look when i get a chance - i'm just using the standard -f3 on dasm

#10 stephena OFFLINE  

stephena

River Patroller

• 2,511 posts
  • Stella maintainer

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:20 PM

ahhh cool - i'll take a look when i get a chance - i'm just using the standard -f3 on dasm

Alas, Stella still won't see it has EFSC. It correctly detects the 'SC' part, but not that it's 'EF'. How are you switching banks (what specific opcode sequence are you using)??

#11 eshu OFFLINE  

eshu

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 249 posts

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:33 PM

A few different I think:
LDA $1FEE
NOP $1FEE
LDA $1FEE,Y

They could all be NOPS - but I started off using LDA and then needed to preserve all registers at one point so it uses an illegal NOP

BTW: I'm really looking forward to Stella with blaarg filters, so don't want you to look at this 'til that's released :) but I mentioned to you a while ago about a bug in debugger mode when codes running out of zero page - you can see that here, the sprite drawing and bottom menu bar code both run out of zero page and theres a weird bug where the debugger doesn't seem to see the high byte of addresses being accessed by LDA $ABS,Y.

Edited by eshu, Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:37 PM.

#12 stephena OFFLINE  

stephena

River Patroller

• 2,511 posts
  • Stella maintainer

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:24 PM

I won't have Blargg filtering finished for 3.6, since I have to release 3.6 in the next few weeks (as it contains support for 2600-daptor II which is due to be released soon). I would say it's over 50% done, but I'd rather wait until it's fully working and tested before releasing it. So it will be pushed to the first week or two in April.

As for the debugger issue, I actually do remember that report, but will have to push that for 3.7 as well. Currently I only have about 10 hours/week to work on Stella.

EDIT: OK, I tweaked the autodetection to see it as EFSC if you fix the 64K issue.

#13 MrFish OFFLINE  

MrFish

River Patroller

• 2,131 posts
  • Serious Computerist

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:57 PM

This just looks totally unlike a 2600 display screen. Beyond being a nice 2600 screen, this would be a welcome display on a 7800 or 5200/8-Bit.

#14 Junosix ONLINE  

Junosix

Star Raider

• 98 posts

Posted Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:10 AM

That is stunning!

#15 theloon OFFLINE  

theloon

Quadrunner

• 7,682 posts

Posted Wed May 9, 2012 2:07 PM

I'm still not convinced this is a real Atari 2600 game. I did an ALT-O in Stella to disbelieve the starving orphan souls. Sacrificing orphans to get more colors is cheating!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users