IGNORED

NeoGeo X Handheld System Confirmed by Blaze Europe

That's not how it reads to me.

Sounds like someone at a forum mentioned that they'd be willing to pay up to 500 pounds for such a device, MCV decided to go with that figure as if it was the actual MSRP when they did a story about this device after word leaked out, with Eurogamer (The source that wrote the article in post 15, not MCV) proceeding to get verification from Blaze about what the actual price is going to be after that outragious price estimate started to make rounds at various outlets.

As the Eurogamer story says, Blaze has confirmed that it's not 500 pounds and that they'd be announcing the price later.

Honestly, it seems like two different Blaze representatives, with two different views on the price, talked to Eurogamer and MCV, because how else do you explain this later article from MCV, http://www.mcvuk.com...neogeo-x/092841, which directly refers to the updated Eurogamer article (the "month-old forum post" bit is from Eurogamer's update) as being incorrect because a Blaze representative talked directly to MCV?

Here's the timeline I was describing, with source links this time:

1. MCV reports on the NeoGeo X

2. Eurogamer reports on the MCV report, adding an update stating that the MCV-stated price must be based on a forum post (quoted by post #15 in this thread)

3. MCV responds to Eurogamer's update and says they're wrong, because the MCV price source is Blaze directly, from that very day (quoted by post #2 in this thread; this is the same link as in my paragraph above)

The way I read it, someone at Blaze thinks the price is definitely 500 pounds (at least "on the cards"), and someone else at Blaze thinks the price is definitely not going to be 500 pounds. The former spoke to MCV, and the latter spoke to Eurogamer.

onmode-ky

Obviously it's going to cost more than a generic handheld emulator because of the game licensing, something not factored into cost with the Chinese and Korean emulation handhelds. Even so, anything over $130 is going to shift to something buyers have to think too much about. Over $170 and they might as well not release it at all, since a new PSP with 2 new UMDs of SNK collections is $170 and it can do much more ($130 for PSP, $20 each for SNK collections -- buy them all used and maybe pay $100 max).

I'm interested in buying this SNK handheld, but only if the price doesn't overwhelm my sense of reason ;)

Edited by akator

That's the first I've seen of that article.

At this point, I suppose it's anyones guess. But common sense (If there is any at that company) dictates that 500 Euros is 400 or so too many. If it launches at 500 Euros, I predict you will be able to shortly afterwards buy one for well under 1/3 of that price as they clearance out stock of their failed product.

• Like 1

My thinking is, if it does go for 500 squid, they'll probably package it with other gaming system emulators...i.e snes/md/ps1/saturn etc....and everything will be loaded through usb memory sticks

Only way they'll get selling it at 500 squid is if they were to package it with all the NEO GEO games (i.e cart as well as CD based, including proto's/rare's and homebrew games) otherwise it won't sell

if it's sold as a single system emulator, i think it will fail badly....like people have already said....not even NEO GEO fanbois would buy it at that price....talk about pricing yourself out of the market even BEFORE the product is made/launched

I've often wondered why nobody has repackaged the Neo Geo and games as a low cost console (with modernized video) or even a bartop arcade device for the rec room. Hell, why did they ever stop producing this system?

Neo Geo managed to position themselves as the 'Ferrari of game systems' and I believe that there is a lot of caching in left to do on that legacy. A lot of people remember it, but Neo Geo was, and probably still is, out of their reach. It's sad that what 'caching in' there has been has been in the form of software emulation. It really doesn't compare to the rush that real Neo Geos provide. It's not so much the accuracy in playing those games under emulation but the feeling of owning a real goddamn neo geo--a childhood dream and system a decade ahead of its time

Caterham (and others) make a fair living selling cars this way, I see no reason why Playmore or a licensee can't.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Sounds liek a cool product, but do they seriously expect anyone to buy it at a price point that equals two PSVitas?

I mean, that's just plain irrational thought there. Very few people will buy it at the price point, especially in the current global economy.

Edited by Lendorien

If they can release it around 100 bucks, I'll pick it up. But I think it'd be cool if it wasn't limited to only Neo Geo games, but also NGP games! Sure, I have 2 NGPC's that I got real cheap, but it'd be nice to play some of those games on a nice brightly lit screen, as I don't feel like modding mine. Also, it'd be great if they had the option to use the old chiptunes OR the cd tunes(alteast on the games that were multi-plat) & include games that were only on MVS, AES, or CD(like Samurai Showdown RPG in english!!), as I believe all 3 had alteast a few games that were exclusive.