IGNORED

Finally got my Apple //e

Hitachi

Ok. I really wanted an Apple ][. Ransom was kind enought to help me out and show me what was good. I found what sounded like a good deal on CL. I was apprehensive because it wasn't local. however, I emailed and asked the guy, and he seemed cool. It's a //e with drive 1 and 2, and a monitor ///. It has a ram card and I think a printer card in it, as well as the standard disk card. After some talk, we agreed on 100 including shipping. I felt this was ok. I finally got it. I hooked it all together and nothing happened. I was really upset and went back through to see, and I hadn't fully seated drive 1's cable. I did that and it booted right up! The monitor is in really good shape except for some sort of blemish that I can't seem to get off... However there was a caveat and I was slightly upset. In the pictures, he had the monitor stand with it. I emailed him and he said he was going to ship it to me with the 'system saver fan.' I don't know what that is, but I will post pics as soon as it gets here...

post-26581-0-24132900-1332034909_thumb.jpg

post-26581-0-66778400-1332034881_thumb.jpg

post-26581-0-28092700-1332034969_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a great system! Welcome to the club. :)

The system saver is an enclosed external fan that goes on the side of the computer, sucking the hot air out of it. You plug it into the wall, and the computer into it. It was usually only necessary for systems that had enough cards in them that they ran hot. But they're still nice to have, because they had a power switch on the front. No more reaching behind the computer to turn it on/off. :)

Congratulations!

I remember when those came out.Kind of like people are now with the latest Apple product

Stand in line,and watched while the store personel stacked them up in piles

And they were not cheap,if I recall correctly,I think I paid 700 and change

It was my first"computer"

And since I had absolutely no computer literacy,learning it was,shall we say,enlightning

The Apple IIe is a great system, congratulations! I bought my first one, an Apple II+, in 1980 and had several others, IIe, IIc and finally a GS, up until 2003, when I fried the motherboard on my GS. I got back into the Apple II just a couple years later with a IIe system I bought at a yard sale. The only thing I regret is getting rid of all the software and documentation I had at the time. Thanks to the internet I've been able to replace everything I had plus add stuff that I wanted but never had the chance to pick up.

The only thing I regret is getting rid of all the software and documentation I had at the time.

I hear ya. Biggest mistake I ever made. While I wish I'd kept all the classic game systems and computers I had originally instead of 'trading up,' I really, really wish I'd kept my software, docs, and personal files (the latter of which I reformatted on the next system, starting "clean" :sob:).

I'm sorry, I should have linked that. ADTPro is software that allows you to transfer disk images from your Windows or Mac computer to your Apple ][ (it requires a serial connection). That way you can go through the fantastic disk image archive at asimov and then transfer those images back to your Apple ][. With an Apple ][ emulator on your Windows or Mac computer, you can try stuff out before you send 'em over, of course. Good stuff! :)

Why didn't you contact keatah, hitachi, he keeps going on about apple II's like he owns a whole warehouse full of them

well done for nabbing one anyway....what you gonna play (classic sierra adventures or some hardcore arcadey stuff)

Edited by carmel_andrews

Nice system..

I like the System Saver too, for the easy access power switch (which turns on the monitor and the computer at the same time; yeah, I'm THAT lazy). ;-)

(Mine has cracked tabs for holding it against my //e tho.. Oh well, still works..)

And I can't second ADT Pro stongly enough...

Great software!!!

Enjoy!!

desiv

I don't have a serial card for it, nor a serial cable to go to my computer, so I tried to hook it up with audio cables(yes I'm aware it's slow) but when I open ADTpro on my laptop, I can't click on the bootstrapping menu. Am I doing something wrong?

Here's another source for 5.25 disks: http://floppydisk.com/ . You can get a super serial card from eBay and you could get a cable for ADTPro from here: http://retrofloppy.com/products.html the cable for hooking up a super serial card to a modern PC/Mac is only $8.95 plus shipping. If you don't like eBay you can always go here and check out the buying/trade forum or post in the wanted to buy: http://www.applefritter.com/forum

Before clicking on the Bootstrapping menu you did click on on the Audio box correct? Once you select audio you should be able to click on on the bootstrapping menu and send the program to your Apple II.

I did select audio, when I did, bootstrapping was not selectable...

I haven't tried audio bootstrapping myself..

Have you seen this vid?

Not sure if it has anything you haven't tried..

I can check to see if my ADTPro install does that when I get hom..

desiv

I followed the video to the letter. only I used a mono cable for the audio out on my computer to the cassette in, but that loads cassette files fine.

I wonder if you're computer has one of those silly features like it tries to "detect" what's plugged into the oudio out jack to "enable" it or something??

Sometimes my laptop doesn't enable sound to my headset when I plug it in because it tries to "detect" what I've plugged in...

desiv

Edited by desiv

Hitachi, I'm having the same problem with my IIGS - I got it to work once with ADTPRO and then it stopped, can't get it to work again. I've got the serial card too, which worked great one time - then it was like my computer forgot the settings. I also had to play around with the settings on the DOS menu. Frustrating.

Awesome thread - I've been reading iWoz so that prompted me to go digging in the basement and fish out my Apple IIe Platinum! Only problem is that I have absolutely no software to run at the moment so I'm going to have to fire up ADTPro myself.

I almost pulled the trigger on an eBay IIGS Auction the other day ('Limited' edition, Woz signed).

Funny thing is that I used to manage a Software, etc. and we had the IIGS on display (it was almost laughable compared to the Amiga's but would still be fun to own)...

Someday...

Good times. :)