IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 5 Round 4 Space Dungeon

zylon

Our game this round is Space Dungeon, available only on 5200 when new. Play on default settings. Emulation is acceptable if using dual control somehow. I never gave this one much of a chance, so I don't really know much about it.

Round ends Sunday, April 1st 2012 @ 10pm EST

Current HSC record:Space Dungeon - (2 Controllers) NoahsMyBro 663,475

Break it for a bonus point!

Final scores:

476,660 sdamon +13

437,050 tank +12

394,435 patbb +11

343,800 NE146 +10

123,390 BydoEmpire +9

91,380 chuckwalla +8

77,195 JacobZu7zu7 +7

72,935 skosh +6

48,485 roadrunner +5

46,620 atariron82 (+4)-late submission

39,130 Sonic R +4

33,605 zylon +3

12,690 trbb +2

11,420 peedenmark7 +1

Current Standings:

sdamon - 30

tank - 24

atariron82 - 26

Cafeman - 12

BydoEmpire - 9

peedenmark7 - 7

JacobZu7zu7 - 11

trbb - 22

skosh - 24

jblenkle - 6

roadrunner - 11

ahuffman - 1

zylon - 7

patbb - 9

chuckwalla - 6

NE146 - 5

Rounds Won:

sdamon - 1

skosh - 1

trbb - 1

post-25215-0-57672000-1332127315_thumb.jpg

Edited by zylon

I just picked up a big lot of 5200 stuff... out of Cleveland!! yeah, took a 4 1/2 hour road trip yesterday (round trip) to get it...

well this game was one of the many I got... I'll try and get a score in... but I no longer have my coupler :( gonna have to rubber band it like I had before...

• Like 1

Are we allowed to play with one joystick?

I use my XBOX controller ... analog stick + 4 fire buttons.

Edit: just saw the post above! ... I will try with MESS+XBOX controller.

Edited by patbb

Using the dual analog sticks on xbox control is just fine. I'd consider using the buttons as possibly too easy, but we'll see how the scores play out.

My DC emulator uses the buttons and the single stick. I'll try it, but will be using my OE for official play.(when I'm done with Galaxian, that is)

Some tips...

Visiting every room, and grabbing every treasure is worth a 10,000 point bonus when you leave the level. (A full set of treasures plus the bonus should result in 2-3 much-needed extra lives!)

Try not to charge right into rooms... you may run into an enemy who's sitting right by the door. (The non-self-centering 5200 sticks don't help with this.)

After visiting all the rooms in level 2 and above, track down the Thief and shoot him to make him give up the treasures he's taken.

Make sure to concentrate fire on enemies who are a direct threat (the ones that are firing at you and/or moving quickly.)

In rooms with laser guns in the corners, take at least one of them out immediately, and then destroy two other ones from a safe angle. The single remaining gun is no threat.

Pass through a room immediately if it contains no treasures.... the real points in this game come from treasure collecting, not fighting.

Leave a room if you're being surrounded. You can come right back and the enemies will be in different positions.

Best of luck in the dungeons! Looking forward to playing this some more... it's a real hidden gem of the classic era!

Edited by sdamon
  • Like 1

Some tips...

In rooms with laser guns in the corners, take at least one of them out immediately, and then destroy two other ones from a safe angle. The single remaining gun is no threat.

Thanks for the tips.

I think that if you shoots the 4 guns, they will not reappear when you enter the room again.

For example, if you get 3 out of 4 then exit the room and enter the room again, the 4 guns will be back.

This is how it is in the arcade version.

Bumped up my score to 151,290

post-2092-0-32648800-1332509971_thumb.jpg

While I hadn't had a problem with the 5200 controllers + coupler for this game up until now, I'm finding the higher levels of play on this game require more accurate control than the sloppy sticks of the standard controllers can provide. So here's the solution I've come up with...

post-2092-0-50586300-1332510113_thumb.jpg

Two Competition Pros bound together with rubber bands! (There's also a piece of cardboard underneath them for some extra stability.) Finally, the Space Dungeon ship isn't randomly crashing into enemies! As always with the Comp Pro's, the original sticks are still required to calibrate the controls when you first start and to provide the Start/Pause/Reset buttons.

I know Comp Pro's aren't common, but if you happen to have a couple, I highly recommend this setup for this game.

I still have yet to play this, but let me say this is the game I spent many fun years playing as a kid, to the point I would just repeat level 9 over and over ("You're doing fine on level 9!"). Hopefully I still have some skills left. :P

Bumped up my score to 151,290

post-2092-0-32648800-1332509971_thumb.jpg

While I hadn't had a problem with the 5200 controllers + coupler for this game up until now, I'm finding the higher levels of play on this game require more accurate control than the sloppy sticks of the standard controllers can provide. So here's the solution I've come up with...

post-2092-0-50586300-1332510113_thumb.jpg

Two Competition Pros bound together with rubber bands! (There's also a piece of cardboard underneath them for some extra stability.) Finally, the Space Dungeon ship isn't randomly crashing into enemies! As always with the Comp Pro's, the original sticks are still required to calibrate the controls when you first start and to provide the Start/Pause/Reset buttons.

I know Comp Pro's aren't common, but if you happen to have a couple, I highly recommend this setup for this game.

Wow, that's a real piece of work sdamon! Will wico sticks do the same? Sadly, I only have one CompPro(but thankful :) ) and wicos are a little more common.

Hope to get some time for this one...

I don't see why Wico sticks wouldn't work just fine. I just have the one Wico, so I went with the Comp Pro's. Either way, you'll want some kind of solid base for them... I ended up using a plastic easel from an old day-to-day calendar. Good luck getting some time to play... I'm firmly convinced this is one of the best games for the 5200.

I'm firmly convinced this is one of the best games for the 5200.

I think the consensus has always been that it is. :) Space Dungeon is an amazing port on the 5200. I personally still prefer to use the original controls on it, but only because that's the way I've played it all my life. :lol: I gotta submit a score soon...