Photo

Sony Xperia Play - I love mine! What do you think?

37 replies to this topic

#26 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,544 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:33 PM

^
You can absolutely install emulators & roms without voiding a warranty or rooting the phone. The emulators do not come with roms.
Eightbit was exaggerating the "need" for moving apps from internal flash to SD card storage, though it's extremely helpful to be able to do so.

#27 Desfeek OFFLINE  

Desfeek

Moonsweeper

• 328 posts

Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:13 PM

Awesome. I can't wait for this thing. Thanks a bunch!

#28 Catsmasher OFFLINE  

Catsmasher

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:44 PM

I did not have to root the phone. I installed the emulators just like any other app off of the marketplace or slideme sites. Then I downloaded the roms onto my laptop, plugged the phone into the laptop and copied the roms onto the SD card into folders.
If I can figure it out, anyone can :dunce:

#29 toptenmaterial OFFLINE  

toptenmaterial

River Patroller

• 3,820 posts

Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:01 PM

I am due for an upgrade around December, and thinking about getting the Xperia Play. My last upgrade was an iPhone 3GS (around the time that the 4 first came out). How will the Play stack up against the iPhone 4S?

My gut feeling is that the gameplay experience will dwarf any iOS product, and the 4S will smoke the Play in everything else.

#30 Shannon OFFLINE  

Shannon

Born To Be Insane

• 7,545 posts
  • Pac-man Fever

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:14 AM

We are due for an upgrade on May 1st as well... Just hoping the thing will still be in the store.

That's the only thing that worries me about purchases like this.. is the market life of smart phones seems to be rather short. Plus they are tied into contracts and having an enabled phone account.

#31 Shannon OFFLINE  

Shannon

Born To Be Insane

• 7,545 posts
  • Pac-man Fever

Posted Thu May 3, 2012 12:23 AM

Alright well we upgraded (or downgraded depending on your opinion. :lol: ) to the Sony Xperia Play. Which pretty much means we got the phone free. I'm still messing with it. Overall I'm pretty impressed with the emulators I have tried so far. Finding the emu's is taking a bit of work but I'm slowly getting them on there.

My wife has one of those Sony Tablet P things and I'm trying to figure the thing out. Can anyone name some useful apps for these things? The app store is filled with so much junk it's impossible to figure out what to do. What I would like to be able to do (at the least) is to send non SMS messages, pictures, whatever to my wife back and forth. That way I'm not getting charged for SMS use.

Also the Tablet P comes with one of those apps that can connect into my DLNA to listen to music, display videos. However I've never found that to be reliable (at least on my 360/PS3). Half the time it times out updating the list of music or the list is incomplete. Anyways is there a good app for playing back divx/avi video files? I have a real good one for the Wii that I've been using lately.

One neat little thing I managed to do with her Sony Tablet P is sync it up with a Wii controller with a classic pad hooked up to it for emu gaming goodness! :D

We also did a quick little Mario Kart netplay session. It was a little bumpy with pauses here and there. But non-the less it was pretty cool.

Edited by Shannon, Thu May 3, 2012 12:46 AM.

#32 Shannon OFFLINE  

Shannon

Born To Be Insane

• 7,545 posts
  • Pac-man Fever

Posted Thu May 3, 2012 6:17 PM

In case anyone did not know about this...

http://users.uoa.gr/...ari800/android/

#33 the_hawk OFFLINE  

the_hawk

Combat Commando

• 9 posts

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:24 AM

I love my Xperia Play, I up/down/sideways graded from an iphone 3gs & although I lost a tonne of 59p games I don't regret it for a second.

The emulation is very impressive & it's great to have a smartphone that you can have tactile controls on!

Although it can handle PS1 and 16-bit emulation with consumate ease & there are loads of decent games in the app store, I have to admit I've been using the 2600.emu emulator more than most of the rest of the stuff put together!

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a 7800 emulator for it?

#34 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,544 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:48 AM

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a 7800 emulator for it?

I don't believe there is one yet.

#35 mimo OFFLINE  

mimo

Preppie!

• 6,778 posts
  • It's easy living in a bubble

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:51 PM

there is no 7800 emu for droid

#36 the_hawk OFFLINE  

the_hawk

Combat Commando

• 9 posts

Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:27 AM

That's a shame.

I'll have to stick to playing Ninja Golf & Food Fight on the psp (& the original hardware of course.)

#37 roland p OFFLINE  

roland p

Stargunner

• 1,941 posts
  • $23

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:05 AM

Is this phone still useful? I've ordered a new one since I needed a new phone.

#38 Seethransom OFFLINE  

Seethransom

Moonsweeper

• 254 posts

Posted Fri Sep 6, 2013 8:49 PM

I still use my Play! I have done all the Mod's to keep it modern looking, and overclocked. I also fixed the memory problem. I have tons of emulators for it. I mainly play GBA games though. I'd like more PSP ports, as I loved my PSP. The PSP EMU is just too much for the single core. The size, and weight are perfect for my hand, and pocket. It is a conversation starter too.

People ask me when I will upgrade my phone? I tell them when the Play2 comes out. I won't hold my breath.

I dumped Verizon, and went to Page Plus. $30 gives me all I need, including 500mb of data. Page Plus is basically prepaid Verizon. Same 3g network (4G is slower in my area).

I'm glad there are others here who love the Play.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users