IGNORED

Movie games for the 2600?

BladeJunker

Cannonball Run would be cool choice for a racing game.

Code of Silence - would make a cool (Chuck Norris approved cool) action video game.

China Syndrome, I always thought it had potential for an interesting video game and it could be the first video game to base a character on Jack Lemon.. ;)

Another vote for Cannonball Run is always welcome. :)

Code of Silence, I'll give it a watch because I like Chuck and robots but many of his movies have not aged like fine wine I'm afraid. What did Steve McQueen say to Norris after seeing his first movie, "Stick to karate Chuck.". ^_^ Still that MIA 7800 looked pretty good that its a shame it was never finished and released for retail. :(

China Syndrome kind of fits in the same boat as The Manhattan Project or The Andromeda Strain that its hard to focus the larger peril into gameplay scenarios. It can always be condensed into a game about controlling the peril itself directly without human characters like Reactor did. Including Jack Lemon as a video game character is definitely appealing but I'm struggling to think of a game concept, perhaps I should watch the film again for inspiration. :)

I have 3-

1) Midnight Madness (similar to Scavenger Hunt)

2) Time Rider

3) Joysticks (you could almost hack Beat em' and eat em') :grin:

I see Midnight Madness is Micheal J Fox's film debut and I also found it on YouTube lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpaWfWn-FEs

Time Rider, Fred Ward is an underrated actor.Can't say I've seen it but it looks funny much like Tremors in that regard. I see Belinda Bauer in it too, I remember her from Robocop2. Speak of the devil Richard Masur is in it too, just finished watching him in Scavenger Hunt and he was also in The Thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQE14U8nBKQ

Joysticks(1983) yeah I saw that a few months ago, not bad and stars Joe Don Baker the original Walking Tall, funny how he got cast as scumbags through most of his film career afterwards. I still think the first great Adult game has yet to be made on the 2600, I didn't like Porky's on 2600 but I thought it showed promise compared to Mystique's efforts. Got to work in some topless scenes for any game based on Joysticks. :D

Edited by BladeJunker

Battlestar Galactica

Good choice, would have sold like hot cakes. Just watching Dirk Benedict in Scavenger Hunt, he's 67 now, wow took a long time for his smooth looks to crack with age. I prefer the old Battlestar Galactica, the new one is just too damn serious for its own good and I don't like any of the characters. Also the male cast really takes a backseat in the new series, yeah chicks look hot in spandex but there's nobody for me to relate to anymore. Anyways old school Battlestar Galactica would make a great 2600 game. :)

Wow just got finished reading the Knight Rider post Cafeman referenced for humor sake and boy a lot of venom was spewed all over it. It's definitely possible he was a troll but its equally plausible he was a naive dreamer who probably gave up after too many harsh words(I should know I am one. ;) ). I'm just glad I said "someday" in regards to making a movie game for the 2600 and I haven't posted any concrete design documents for fear of being attacked after reading that post, yikes. I'm just here to wax nostalgia, brain storm game design, and screw around with the 2600 limits.

This post is nearing 300 views and I appreciate everyone who has dropped ideas and shared some of their favorite films and TV shows. Still don't be shy with anything you would like since its been great fun watching everything I've managed to track down, currently watching The Deadly Spawn after watching Scavenger Hunt & Midnight Madness(Wow J Fox sure is whiny in that flick.) so keep them coming. :)

Just trying out the Berzerk/Thing type setup with some overhead perspective. Also been screwing with the "Scavenger Madness" concept, I see it as a GTA-like setup of outdoor engine for driving and indoor for item hunting. Just testing graphics appearance and object distribution so far so its not within limits.

post-29395-0-33255000-1332622290_thumb.png

post-29395-0-22996300-1332622438_thumb.png

Just finished watching The Deadly Spawn or Return of the Aliens Deadly Spawn(Although Return is usually reserved for sequels for obvious reasons ^_^.) and I liked it, kind of a cross between Evil Dead and Alien. It had a brisk pace being 82 mins long but making it longer wasn't necessary.

Still not sure about what kind of game would be suitable for it yet but I tried translating the large main creature into a sprite design so maybe a first person affair. Although I kind of like the idea of something similar to Splatterhouse starring the cape wearing kid from the movie.

post-29395-0-00108100-1332651392_thumb.png

My "Would be cool if it happend" votes

2001 (too early)

Death Race 2000! Stallone and Carradine... (Kinda early 1975)

Battlestar Galactica (Perfect timing)

Airport 1979, with the Concorde!

Das Boot

And my "It should have happened" votes

Grease!

Mad Max

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

(As for Ordinary People, I had to read that in High School, zero game potential)

• Like 1

My "Would be cool if it happend" votes

2001 (too early)

Death Race 2000! Stallone and Carradine... (Kinda early 1975)

Battlestar Galactica (Perfect timing)

Airport 1979, with the Concorde!

Das Boot

And my "It should have happened" votes

Grease!

Mad Max

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

(As for Ordinary People, I had to read that in High School, zero game potential)

I'll take your word on the timing as I just caught the end of the Atari era as a hand me down or the family Atari. But don't worry too much about "Would be cool if it happened" since "inspired by" can go a long way where the game could be dead on carbon copy but the names will change since the licensing is more trouble than its worth, we'll stay in the realm of homage so we can actually play and own copies of these potential fan games without lawyers getting involved. "Captain Spork, ready the phantom lasers!" ;)

Yeah 2001 is early but late to the party is more likely than during or after the video game crash so I think we can give it a pass.

Death Race 2000!, nice choice as I could have seen Roger Corman as being keen or greedy enough to allow a game if he'd been asked. I'll skip over the remake and check out this asap.

Battlestar Galactica, the more I think about it the more I wish it had existed. :D

Airport 1979, with the Concorde!, I like this choice since you have to figure a game based on this would not only involved what is happening outside the plane but also what is happening inside it as well.

Das Boot definitely has plenty of options in terms of hacking existing engines for submarine based gameplay but I think someone else who is a bigger fan of it could do it more justice than I for its design. So calling all Das Boot fans, please suggest design concepts for a possible game.

Grease!, here's another fan favorite I don't think that I could do justice but maybe a Simon/DDR type game. Definitely would dedicate both sound channels to get the best music possible.

Mad Max has potential, as bad as the Nes game was I think its basic setup of driving the wastelands and infiltrating gang strongholds was a good idea. Normally I wouldn't suggest a gas tank meter but you kind of have to given the backstory of the movie.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is one of my favorite Python films but how to capture its humor in a game for the 2600. Perhaps a combo of adventure style gameplay for physical pranks and a text engine for the written jokes or dialogue. This will take some time and thought to work out.

Some great suggestions to mull over. :)

Smokey and the Bandit

Dukes of Hazard, the TV show is an extremely weak memory of mine at this point but even I know the modern films were crap by comparison to the original. Visually the General Lee's flag would look cool from a top view ala' Bump N' Jump but I can't help but think a profile view like Moon Patrol might make the jumps feel more dangerous and reflect the distance better. Still plenty of orange in the palette to match the main verhicle.

Smokey and the Bandit, big fan of this Burt Reynolds classic and I can see some good game material there. Didn't like 2 but 3 was pretty good. Also I have to agree with Stewie Griffin's labored suggestion of "Go get some of that hot...Sally Field ass." 9_9, as cute as she is I consider her a total miscast for Burt's hottie sidekick in that film.

I think I'll have to give it another watch for inspiration, why don't you all join me. It's flopped with non english subs on it but it's up till they take it down. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsc41qLb9DA

Isn't there already a China Syndrome game for the Atari 2600?

Awesome Return of the Alien Spawn sprite BTW!!

I heard the reason they slapped the "Return of the" on the title of the movie was in the hopes people would confuse it with a sequel to the movie Aliens!! The original Big Boxed VHS tape had the title adult on the cover sitting in a pool of blood and body parts so i don't how how anyone could be confused!

post-544-0-73107600-1332733208_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Isn't there already a China Syndrome game for the Atari 2600?

Awesome Return of the Alien Spawn sprite BTW!!

I heard the reason they slapped the "Return of the" on the title of the movie was in the hopes people would confuse it with a sequel to the movie Aliens!! The original Big Boxed VHS tape had the title adult on the cover sitting in a pool of blood and body parts so i don't how how anyone could be confused!

Yes there is a China Syndrome game, well I guess that's done lol. I don't think it was a popular game but it does concentrate on the reactor control aspect of the movie but no Jack Lemon or Micheal Douglas.

Yeah I saw that too about ROTAS, I don't know how they thought they could fool Alien fans with that poster image. I found some DVD releases of it both in north American and European territories. The Special Features look decent so I think it will be worth while to track down a copy. Was the original widescreen or was the film version 4:3 since I know some lower budget movies used 4:3 film stock sometimes?

Oh thanks for the compliment on the sprite, it was hard to figure out the adult body so I based it partially on the smaller tadpole stages of the creature. :)

post-29395-0-44570900-1332739179_thumb.jpg

post-29395-0-00754400-1332739186_thumb.jpg

post-29395-0-35370300-1332739619_thumb.png

Edited by BladeJunker

Airport 1979, with the Concorde!, I like this choice since you have to figure a game based on this would not only involved what is happening outside the plane but also what is happening inside it as well.

Das Boot definitely has plenty of options in terms of hacking existing engines for submarine based gameplay but I think someone else who is a bigger fan of it could do it more justice than I for its design. So calling all Das Boot fans, please suggest design concepts for a possible game.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is one of my favorite Python films but how to capture its humor in a game for the 2600. Perhaps a combo of adventure style gameplay for physical pranks and a text engine for the written jokes or dialogue. This will take some time and thought to work out.

Some great suggestions to mull over. :)

I picture Das Boot as an evasion game, daytime skimming the bottom in a side scroller to avoid detection then at night weaving on the top viewed from above to get air and charge batteries. Then a mini combat game if detected.

Monty Python would be all minigames that you progress through.

As for Airport, no idea, I just like the way that it had a mach 2.0 passenger plane, cutting edge tech always should get a video game!

• Like 1

How about a survival / horror multi-pack featuring It's Alive, Magic, and Prophecy? Push baby carriages into a secure facility before the It's-Alive baby in each wakes up and slaughters you .. run from that scary dummy whose heads spins around ... try to find your way out of the woods/lake area while being chased by mutant bears!

• Like 1

I picture Das Boot as an evasion game, daytime skimming the bottom in a side scroller to avoid detection then at night weaving on the top viewed from above to get air and charge batteries. Then a mini combat game if detected.

Monty Python would be all minigames that you progress through.

As for Airport, no idea, I just like the way that it had a mach 2.0 passenger plane, cutting edge tech always should get a video game!

That sounds like a good Das Boot game breakdown, personally I wish more games changed perspective since some aspects of any subject matter benefit from views from different angles.

I had considered minigame mayhem for MPATHG as it would fit well and the PC game had its strengths but I was thinking its kind of standard practice for films that are hard to translate into gameplay that I tried to think what else could be done, still definitely something to include or combine to express the physical pranks present in the film.

Yeah I know the Mach 2.0 passenger plane was, is an amazing aircraft that I imagine a lot of people would like to fly one. :)

How about a survival / horror multi-pack featuring It's Alive, Magic, and Prophecy? Push baby carriages into a secure facility before the It's-Alive baby in each wakes up and slaughters you .. run from that scary dummy whose heads spins around ... try to find your way out of the woods/lake area while being chased by mutant bears!

Lol there's a game that will keep you on your toes. Not a bad idea to combine all that since that would make for one messed up setting perfect for a survival horror game. I've seen Larry Cohen's The Stuff but I haven't seen the It's Alive series yet. Magic now there's an early Anthony Hopkins movie I've been meaning to check out. Prophecy I'm not at all familiar with but I'll give it a watch. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y-8JpWsb70&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dpZFqYBVSA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PppxRKpKkQs

Lol there's a game that will keep you on your toes. Not a bad idea to combine all that since that would make for one messed up setting perfect for a survival horror game. I've seen Larry Cohen's The Stuff but I haven't seen the It's Alive series yet. Magic now there's an early Anthony Hopkins movie I've been meaning to check out. Prophecy I'm not at all familiar with but I'll give it a watch. :D

Well, I'm not sure how well they hold up, but as a kid let me tell you, they were scary. Just the posters for them were scary.

I know this is just a pinch outside your time window, but it seems like a Back to the Future game with Michael J. Fox's character on an airboard, maybe even a time travel element added in for good measure, would work great on the 2600.

I could even see a top-down scene, possibly from Back to the Future 2, where MJF is hanging onto Biff's car and trying to grab the sports almanac without being noticed. That would be most excelllent gaming fun on the 2600 for sure.

Edited by sqoon

I know this is just a pinch outside your time window, but it seems like a Back to the Future game with Michael J. Fox's character on an airboard, maybe even a time travel element added in for good measure, would work great on the 2600.

I could even see a top-down scene, possibly from Back to the Future 2, where MJF is hanging onto Biff's car and trying to grab the sports almanac without being noticed. That would be most excelllent gaming fun on the 2600 for sure.

Yeah 85 and onward was definitely the age of the Nes in north America among other systems at that point, would make a fun game though and its a worth a try. :) Actually tried "translating" the Nes BTTF game into Atari form because I liked the HUD and sprite art if not the game but it ended up more like a 7800 game when I was done. :D

post-29395-0-64778700-1332788108_thumb.png

How about "Mad Max" or "The Road Warrior", there's some a lot of possibilites there.

(I think there was something for Nintendo but I've never seen anything for the 2600?)

Another vote for Mad Max, yep there was a Nintendo game. Definitely would be fun to play in an action packed convoy shooting and jumping from vehicle to vehicle like some kind of gun toting Frogger lol.