IPF Disc Image Format....

5 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Wolfe OFFLINE  

Mark Wolfe

River Patroller

• 2,310 posts
  • The Central Scrutinizer

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:01 PM

Where can I download games and software for the ST in this new format? I found a bunch of games for Amiga on usenet, but nothing for ST other than STX.

Does anyone know if the KryoFlux can WRITE from other disc image formats other than IPF? Like STX, 2MG, ATX, ADF, D64

#2 Mark Wolfe OFFLINE  

Mark Wolfe

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,310 posts

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:54 PM

well, I just had a back & forth email with one of the people behind KryoFlux... apparently they have NO intention of sharing the results of all the people sending in floppies to be converted to IPF... I mean NO INTENTION AT ALL TO SHARE THE GOODS

wtf is that about? by what copyright law do they get to keep all the donations and not share? this hobby was built on sharing, the very fact that people are sending in floppies for no monetary gain is proof of this yet they sit on thier high horses and look down on anyone who uses inferior disc formats all the while they do not share ...

fuck that

#3 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 2,706 posts

Posted Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:25 PM

Yeah, its kinda like the Pasti images for emulators - I've been archiving what titles I have from their missing files list,
but it doesn't really do me much good as an end user because I don't do emulators.

Still, I'd like to have them preserved out there somewhere, because the medium is getting very old and failures
are bound to happen. Hate to see them lost in the mists of time.

I keep hoping that somewhere down the line someone will come up with a way that the average ST user can write
the info back to ST disks for use.

#4 Mark Wolfe OFFLINE  

Mark Wolfe

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,310 posts

Posted Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:44 PM

well, I have been going back and forth with a guy from kryoflux and he keeps arguing the point that it is ok for his preservation society to keep and use all the archives but can not share it with anyone due to copyright infringment. which is all fine and good except who made THEM exempt from the same rules they spout out to others who ask them to share?

The great thing about the IPF format is that it is meant for the kryoflux device to write the data back to an actual floppy so you can use it on your computer, not for emulation. this is an awesome format and the preservationists are doing great work, I just happen to disagree with their motives and end results. if they do not share then it is pointless in my opinion. they hide behind rules that they themselves violate.

#5 rdemming OFFLINE  

rdemming

Dragonstomper

• 941 posts

Posted Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:11 PM

well, I just had a back & forth email with one of the people behind KryoFlux... apparently they have NO intention of sharing the results of all the people sending in floppies to be converted to IPF... I mean NO INTENTION AT ALL TO SHARE THE GOODS

That is not the whole story. All images that they convert to IPF will be sent to those who submitted the original image. And those who submitted the original image must then decide if they share the resulting IPF or not. There are already several ST IPF file out there (http://www.atari-for...hp?f=95&t=21548) but it seems there are currently problems hosting them.

Robert

#6 Mark Wolfe OFFLINE  

Mark Wolfe

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,310 posts

Posted Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:02 PM

I understand that but the current list of "shared" IPF files vs what SPS has in their archive is rather lopsided and it seems they can make use of the archives themselves but they don't share. this whole thing about copyright infringement is serious stuff but the fact is, all those games are out in the wild already. they are selling a device marketed to the hobby enthusiasts. In my opinion there is a disconnect between the goals of the preservation society and the goals of the end users like myself. I would be less critical if they did not take such an elitist view of lesser disc image formats which so far they have only implemented support for ADF format on their device and nothing else.
I'll support it when they add they add write ability for D64, ATX and STX formats. at least that would show a genuine interest in assisting people with using the classic machines they love.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users