IGNORED

Printing in colour from A8

NuY

Just picked myself up a nice small Canon BJC-70 printer from Evilbay. Selected specifically for its Epson LQ compatibility and the fact it has a Centronics parallel port.

It's all working absolutely fine with my 130XE dumping text and printing from PrintShop (love those silly icons you can do).

The question is though, are there any programs, commercial or otherwise, that can actually print in colour? Screen dump applications would be nice, but I'm just looking for something to mess around with in colour. Obviously this would need a program that can print to an Epson compatible printer.

I've also got the printer hooked up via a switcher to the PC; do any of the emulators have the capability of dumping raw to a printer, bypassing the Windows driver, so that it will pass the Epson code directly to the printer? I've played around with Altirra, and can only find the option to display printer output on screen.

Hmm,

never did this on an A8 (and I gave up printing on the A8 very early)... but, maybe "Colour Print" does the job ?!? Its written for various printers including Epson printers.

Afaik, one of the tricks was to use several ribbons for printing, e.g. one ribbon in black for the first part of the pict. print, then a red ribbon for the second part of the pict. print, then a green ribbon for the third part and a blue ribbon for the last part - of one and the same picture (so you had to use one and the same sheet of paper again and again, printing time approx. 2 hours or more)...

-Andreas Koch.

P.S.: The programs on the image use Atari Basic, so boot with Basic enabled and use quite some patience; the DOS on the disk is Turbo-DOS, use the HELP-key or type HEL(p) to get all DOS commands, e.g. BON for Basic on, CAR for goto cartridge, etc.

COL_PRT.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin

The only color print programs I recall were for the 1020 4-color plotter, there were a couple for printing standard micro illistrator format pictures too. But, I do recall some reviews in Atari magazines for the Okimate color printer and the Atari, I think it mentioned some paint programs that supported it, though I don't remember now, except maybe Blazing Paddles? If it does support the Okimate, it may work with your Canon too.

I'd go to Atarimania or other site and search in the utilities/graphics for printer programs and Atari programs that print.

Edited by Gunstar

To play around. I have books from HP how to program PCL (printer control language?) on HP 600 and 800 printers. I would guess Epson would respond the same. Lemme see......

Find the ESC codes. For instance, green text color. (colour on the other side of the pond), ESC * v 10S, ie. 27, 42, 118, 49, 48, 83

10 CLOSE #1

30 OPEN #1,8,0,"P:"

40 PUT #1,27:PUT #1,42:PUT #1,118:PUT #1,49:PUT #1,48:PUT #1,83

50 ? #1;"TEST STRING"

60 CLOSE #1

See if that prints in green.