IGNORED

Intellivision Colour Manuals

cmart604

Oh, by the way, there is another even earlier variant of some of the original ten. ;) (Steve is aware of some of these, and Rev and I just had a discussion about this yesterday) I continue to try to add these to my true original 125 collection.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

After realizing how confusing and wordy my above statement was, I decided to take some pics. Everyone loves pics!

Here are "the 10" with Full Color Manuals. All are USA. All boxes reference the Keyboard Component and have Serial #s on top. All have the smooth carts. 9/10 have heavy shielded PCBs (I don't think Space Battle ever came with one):

Does anyone know if the in-store Demo cartridges had metal shields? I noticed that they weigh more than the average cartridge, even more than a shielded cartridge. Perhaps they have a shield in addition to the extra ROM?

Anyways, here's some weights (I'm not willing to disassemble my Demo carts :))

• Armor Battle (no shield) 43g
  • Armor Battle (with shield) 46g
  • Demo cart (1978, blue) 50g
  • Demo cart (1982, Int'l, red) 50g

[apologies for the thread necromancy]

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the in-store Demo cartridges had metal shields? I noticed that they weigh more than the average cartridge, even more than a shielded cartridge. Perhaps they have a shield in addition to the extra ROM?

Anyways, here's some weights (I'm not willing to disassemble my Demo carts :))

• Armor Battle (no shield) 43g
  • Armor Battle (with shield) 46g
  • Demo cart (1978, blue) 50g
  • Demo cart (1982, Int'l, red) 50g

[apologies for the thread necromancy]

I don't know about any of the Demo Carts as I have none :_(

You inspired me to do some weighing on my digital balance, though.

Original 12 (no insert line) carts (with weights)

I know that the Space Battle doesn't have shielding despite having the smooth shell. I thought that LV Poker and Blackjack also had shielding, but it's pretty light compared to the others. I weighed like 4-5 of them and no heavy ones. I opened up my main one (46g) and it had no shielding inside, which is consistent with the lower weight. I should also mention that I came across a bunch of carts that were in the older smooth shells, but lacked the shielding, so smooth cart is no guarantee of shielding. The weight seems to be the more reliable test (without opening it).
Also, the super-heavy 72g NFL seems to be a fluke. I weighed another shielded NFL and it was 70g, like most of the others. For some reason Backgammon was the oddball....or not. I just weighed another Backgammon and got 71g!
For an additional point of reference, I weighed a handful of Intellivision Inc (black and white labeled) games, which have no screws. Most were between 42-46g. One of my I.I. Bump N Jump carts was 38g, however, another (label variant) weighed 46g. Go figure.
Conclusions:
1. Carts with smooth shells are no guarantee of shielded PCBs
2. Carts with shielding should weigh between 68-72g, but may weigh as low as 62ish grams.
3. Carts without shielding normally weigh around 42-48g, but I found one as low as 38g.
  • Like 1

Oh, by the way, there is another even earlier variant of some of the original ten. ;) (Steve is aware of some of these, and Rev and I just had a discussion about this yesterday) I continue to try to add these to my true original 125 collection.

Are you talking about the ones that say "for color tv viewing only" in small black text right on the box art?

I was wondering the same thing. What are these earlier ones?

My hunch is the small difference between the first two listed here.

The lower left corner has FOR COLOR T.V. VIEWING ONLY in black block letters on the artwork. You see a similar difference for Major League Baseball. I have no idea how many of these there are - though I'm sure cmart will educate us someday. Later editions pushed this text into the area on the lower right corner of the front of the box.

Edited by intvsteve

The lower left corner has FOR COLOR T.V. VIEWING ONLY in black block letters on the artwork. You see a similar difference for Major League Baseball. I have no idea how many of these there are - though I'm sure cmart will educate us someday. Later editions pushed this text into the area on the lower right corner of the front of the box.

Well, I suppose I know what I'm spending tonight working on...lots of boxes to look through :)

intvsteve, on 14 Jul 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

I haven't gone through everything yet, but most have been checked. I can say I know of at least 4 games of this style ;)

Mattel Intellivision Early Boxes (fronts)

I was happy to see that all four of these were already in my primary 125 display and they are ironically already my best copies of each game. AND, they already had all the nice inner contents:

Full Color manuals

Smooth cart shells lacking insert instructions

Heavy shielded PCBs (~70g total cart weight)

Early glossy overlays

I'd say these are keepers :grin: Just look at those nicely shaped boxes :love:

Mattel Intellivision Early Boxes (spines)

So does anyone know of others that had this box variation? I checked intvfunhouse, but only saw NFL and MLB (Steve, I can get you pics of Checkers and Armor Battle if you don't have them). Cmart mentioned more than 4, but less than 10. :ponder: Are these the 'test market four'?

OK, I'll answer my own question :-D

Thanks to Bill Loguidice: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3653/a_history_of_gaming_platforms_.php

The first four games in 1979 were: Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack, Math Fun, Armor Battle, and Backgammon.

I suspect that the rest of these weren't far behind:

Original 19 Intellivision Games

These would also be my best guess list of candidates for other early box variations with the black lettering FOR COLOR T.V. VIEWING ONLY statement.

Edited by JasonlikesINTV
  • Like 1

I haven't gone through everything yet, but most have been checked. I can say I know of at least 4 games of this style ;)

So does anyone know of others that had this box variation? I checked intvfunhouse, but only saw NFL and MLB (Steve, I can get you pics of Checkers and Armor Battle if you don't have them).

I definitely thought that NFL Football and MLB Baseball were the only two that had the FOR COLOR T.V. VIEWING ONLY, I associated them with the earliest versions that had the color manuals. So now you have two more rare variations that I didn't know existed... :mad:

I definitely thought that NFL Football and MLB Baseball were the only two that had the FOR COLOR T.V. VIEWING ONLY, I associated them with the earliest versions that had the color manuals. So now you have two more rare variations that I didn't know existed... :mad:

Lol, and per Cmart there's supposedly at least one more.

• 2 weeks later...

More variation fun: there are 2 versions of the 1978 demo cartridge. Some of these differences are documented at http://www.intvfunhouse.com/games/1978.php but here is more information...

First, not only are the labels different, but the earlier version of the 1978 demo cartridge is missing the "Insert to this line".

post-37124-0-21430700-1406438217_thumb.jpg

Additionally, the old cartridge has phillips screws while the new has triangle screws. Also, the old cartridge has a flush 1979 USA while the new has a raised 1979 Hong Kong.

post-37124-0-86523900-1406438222_thumb.jpg

More variation fun: there are 2 versions of the 1978 demo cartridge. Some of these differences are documented at http://www.intvfunhouse.com/games/1978.php but here is more information...

First, not only are the labels different, but the earlier version of the 1978 demo cartridge is missing the "Insert to this line".

1978 Demo Cart Comparison (1) - Copy.JPG

Additionally, the old cartridge has phillips screws while the new has triangle screws. Also, the old cartridge has a flush 1979 USA while the new has a raised 1979 Hong Kong.

1978 Demo Cart Comparison (2) - Copy.JPG

Any significant differences in weight? It would be interesting if the older shell had a shielded pcb.