Photo

Can I bypass the RF modulator?

7 replies to this topic

#1 boxpressed OFFLINE  

boxpressed

River Patroller

• 2,337 posts

Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:01 PM

I just bought my first 99/4A in almost thirty years and want to connect it to my CRT. I'd prefer not to use the bulky RF modulator and use the F-plug connector that I use with most of my other vintage systems. However, I don't know if I have any choice but to use the modulator because the RF out port on the 99/4A is proprietary, not a standard RF phono jack.

Is there a cable available that will let me bypass the modulator in favor of the F-plug? Or, better yet, allow for composite output? Thanks in advance.

#2 matthew180 OFFLINE  

matthew180

Stargunner

• 1,845 posts

Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:15 PM

Like this:

http://www.mainbyte....es/monitor.html

The 5-pin DIN puts out composite video and audio. You can make a cable or pick one up pretty cheap. I don't think the NTSC cables are hard to come by, but I have not tried recently either.

#3 boxpressed OFFLINE  

boxpressed

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,337 posts

Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:18 PM

Thanks -- that's what I need. Now I just need to find a ready-made one because I have zero modding skills.

#4 orion1052003 OFFLINE  

orion1052003

Chopper Commander

• 230 posts

Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:44 PM

I bought one from a guy who sells them. If I can find the old order form I can look and see if he is still around and selling them. Ask around at Tex in Treasures too, if the site comes back up.

#5 apersson850 OFFLINE  

apersson850

Chopper Commander

• 106 posts

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:58 AM

Since the location of the thread starter here seems to be in Wisconsin, this will work according to the answers in this thread. But if someone who has a European TI 99/4A reads this, you should know that the video output is different from a PAL console, compared to the NTSC version.
For a European version, you can either route the luminance and color difference signals to a modern flat TV monitor, since they often have this sort of input directly available, or you can modify the RF modulator to get the composite video signal out from there. It's created as an intermediate step in the modulator, before the actual RF modulation occurs.

#6 unhuman OFFLINE  

unhuman

Stargunner

• 1,000 posts

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:29 PM

I'll build one for anybody who wants one... I bought a bunch of parts thinking there would be a market, and there wasn't.

#7 apersson850 OFFLINE  

apersson850

Chopper Commander

• 106 posts

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:31 AM

Haha, and now there is!

#8 boxpressed OFFLINE  

boxpressed

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,337 posts

Posted Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:30 AM

I just wanted to say that unhuman made a composite cable for me, and it works perfectly! So nice not having to have that gigantic RF modulator hanging off the monitor.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users