Photo

Wanting to trade my 800XL for a 130XE

55 replies to this topic

#1 dafivehole OFFLINE  

dafivehole

Dragonstomper

• 553 posts

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:17 PM

I originally posted this in the Marketplace but haven't gotten any nibbles...

Looking to trade my 800XL for a clean 130XE. The 800XL is clean with no issues... the cart slot is a little wonky though. If I need to add a little something to the deal, I'm OK with that. Let me know what you got!

Thanks,
Roger

#2 KubaCZ OFFLINE  

KubaCZ

Chopper Commander

• 113 posts

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:53 PM

I don't think that many people will want to trade it.. also isn't easier to upgrade it with more memory instead of searching for 130XE? But if you need it to your collection, then ok ;).

#3 dafivehole OFFLINE  

dafivehole

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 553 posts

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:57 PM

I just wanted one because I never owned one back in the day... more of a curiosity thing I guess. Hey, if you don't ask, you'll never know :)

Roger

#4 Welsh Wizard OFFLINE  

Welsh Wizard

Star Raider

• 74 posts

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:34 PM

I think you would be better of keeping the 800xl, of all the A8 I have had the only one to give me problems has been the XE's mainly the keyboard traces cracking, and replacements are not cheap if you can still find any, I find that the 800xl Newel upgrade to 256k is by far a better machine than the XE , it seem better built for a start.

#5 Faicuai OFFLINE  

Faicuai

Dragonstomper

• 604 posts

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:50 PM

I think you would be better of keeping the 800xl, (...)

...Interesting... I was about to suggest the exact same thing.

...I happen to have a 130XE (on its box, fully packed). Although I could try to simply up-sell it here, I can honestly say that my 800XL (RevC, fully-socketed, ALPS Type-1 keyboard) is clearly a better built machine than the XE...

...The XE-class reminds us of the decline and (final) fall of Atari, from the 8bit-grace... and in several ways, not on par with the XL-class, and much less with the "JM"-class.

#6 dafivehole OFFLINE  

dafivehole

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 553 posts

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:20 PM

OK, now I'm questioning myself on this :woozy: Maybe I'll just stick with what I have...

Roger

#7 sloopy OFFLINE  

sloopy

River Patroller

• 2,396 posts
  • lookin for bits, i like bits...

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:15 PM

I saw your post on marketplace, and I would say keep the 800XL, get a 130XE in addition to the XL if you want...

XE KB's are only $25 each brand new from the usual new parts supplier...

sloopy.

#8 kenjennings OFFLINE  

kenjennings

Moonsweeper

• 492 posts
  • Me + sio2pc-usb + 70 old floppies

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:28 PM

Daaaang!. I wish I had an 130XE to dump, so I could get another 800XL.

(Hint. As everyone else says, the 800XL is a much better machine.)

#9 BillC ONLINE  

BillC

Stargunner

• 1,206 posts

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:11 PM

I agree with the previous posts, I think the 800XL is the better machine, and if it weren't for the fact I already have 3 800XL's and the cost of shipping both machines(high because I'm in Canada) I might have been tempted to take you up on the offer. The 800XL circuit board is better quality and have socketed ICs, both of which make upgrades easier, plus I prefer the XL dark brown/ivory color scheme over the XE gray.

#10 Welsh Wizard OFFLINE  

Welsh Wizard

Star Raider

• 74 posts

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:16 PM

I saw your post on marketplace, and I would say keep the 800XL, get a 130XE in addition to the XL if you want...

sloopy.

True, but by the time you add exchange and posting it makes buying another machine locally cheaper, for you guys in the States it cheap enough to replace the keyboard. Last quote I had for a 130XE key board was $30USD post plus the keyboard at $25 making a total of $55 USD , compared to a complete working 130XE I picked up for $30 NZD only a few weeks ago.
And even on EvilBay I have seen 130XE's go for under $30USD

#11 sloopy OFFLINE  

sloopy

River Patroller

• 2,396 posts
  • lookin for bits, i like bits...

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:00 AM

sloopy.

True, but by the time you add exchange and posting it makes buying another machine locally cheaper, for you guys in the States it cheap enough to replace the keyboard. Last quote I had for a 130XE key board was $30USD post plus the keyboard at $25 making a total of $55 USD , compared to a complete working 130XE I picked up for $30 NZD only a few weeks ago.
And even on EvilBay I have seen 130XE's go for under $30USD

True, but we are talking about the OP, and he is in the US ;')

sloopy.

#12 atari8warez OFFLINE  

atari8warez

River Patroller

• 2,506 posts

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:46 PM

I think you would be better of keeping the 800xl, of all the A8 I have had the only one to give me problems has been the XE's mainly the keyboard traces cracking, and replacements are not cheap if you can still find any, I find that the 800xl Newel upgrade to 256k is by far a better machine than the XE , it seem better built for a start.

I never had any keyboard problems with my XEs, is that because i don't beat the s**t out of them playing games -lol-

#13 Mark Wolfe OFFLINE  

Mark Wolfe

River Patroller

• 2,311 posts
  • The Central Scrutinizer

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:44 PM

what is the difference in memory between the 800XL and the 130XE? also, I thought the 1200XL was the holy grail in terms of build quality and usability? can't they all get memory upgrades?

#14 mimo OFFLINE  

mimo

Preppie!

• 6,778 posts
  • It's easy living in a bubble

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:53 PM

800xl. 64k, 130xe 128k.
Yes they can all be upgraded, the XL is probably easier as the XE has a poor quality PCB.
1200xl is great for mods,and looks like a proper computer, but needs at least a video mod as the pq is horrible out of the box

#15 Mark Wolfe OFFLINE  

Mark Wolfe

River Patroller

• 2,311 posts

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:59 PM

ahh, ok, what is "pq" I am surprised the 1200xl does not have the same basic components as the 800xl, the look very similar. I love the video out quality on the 800xl. looks great on my commodore monitor.

#16 bob1200xl OFFLINE  

bob1200xl

River Patroller

• 2,112 posts

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:34 PM

1200XL video is terrible. And, most of the k/b are bad by now.

Both can be fixed.

Yes, it's worth it.

Bob

#17 Faicuai OFFLINE  

Faicuai

Dragonstomper

• 604 posts

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:02 PM

what is the difference in memory between the 800XL and the 130XE? also, I thought the 1200XL was the holy grail in terms of build quality and usability? can't they all get memory upgrades?

As an example, the 1200XL can't be the "holy grail" basically because of its Mylar-based keyboard (e.g. no real PCB board below the keys...) Keep in mind that such design is ALSO present on the 800XL, although a plethora of keyboard-types were made available on it, being the ALPS-series the most robust and certainly best keyboard available on the 800XL.

On the other hand, the 1200XL is a sort of "unfinished" business in the Atari 8bit-line... it is neither fully an XL-class machine (no PBI, etc.), nor it is fully part of its preceding class... It's neither a full 1400XL (which is nice), and also not close to the 1450XLD... It's sort of a "tweener", that got stuck in space-and-time, and prematurely abandoned to its own fate.

On top of that, If Candle's "mother-of-all-boards" eventually gets finished, you will have there a game-changer, almost a 180-degree revision of history that will shift the value-balance all-the-way BACK to the "JM"-class (where the 400/800 belong), because you it will leverage the 800's arquitecture, its Made-in-USA manufacturing quality, its slot-based "openness" to enable PBI (maybe), on-board mini CF-drive, 1MB of RAM, multiple O/S capabilites and on-board SDX. In short, with one single-board upgrade plugged into the "personality" slot, it will have the potential to put to shame most of the XL and XE-class (it is that significant), including the 1200XL (no pun intended for this machines' hard-core fans).

But that's yet to come.

#18 kenjennings OFFLINE  

kenjennings

Moonsweeper

• 492 posts

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:08 PM

. . .
On top of that, If Candle's "mother-of-all-boards" eventually gets finished, you will have there a game-changer, almost a 180-degree revision of history that will shift the value-balance all-the-way BACK to the "JM"-class (where the 400/800 belong), because you it will leverage the 800's arquitecture, its Made-in-USA manufacturing quality, its slot-based "openness" to enable PBI (maybe), on-board mini CF-drive, 1MB of RAM, multiple O/S capabilites and on-board SDX. In short, with one single-board upgrade plugged into the "personality" slot, it will have the potential to put to shame most of the XL and XE-class (it is that significant), including the 1200XL (no pun intended for this machines' hard-core fans).

You're obviously from Candle's Sales and Marketing department. You convinced me. I want one. Maybe two. Or.. Is there a limit? Where do I sign up?

#19 kenjennings OFFLINE  

kenjennings

Moonsweeper

• 492 posts

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:14 PM

ahh, ok, what is "pq" I am surprised the 1200xl does not have the same basic components as the 800xl, the look very similar. I love the video out quality on the 800xl. looks great on my commodore monitor.

Like the 800XL? You have to see a regular 800 using split luma/chroma into a monitor. I got cables yesterday and tried my 800XL and 800 on a 46" Sharp Aquos. The 800XL looked good (even without a mod to fix the bad chroma), but the 800 just blows it away.

#20 Faicuai OFFLINE  

Faicuai

Dragonstomper

• 604 posts

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:15 PM

. . .

You're obviously from Candle's Sales and Marketing department. You convinced me. I want one. Maybe two. Or.. Is there a limit? Where do I sign up?

I think by simply expressing your interest is exactly what he needs.

BTW, no direct affiliation with Candle's shop. Just pointing out things as I believe they truly are.

This upgrade is a MILESTONE in history. It is truly important, and needs to get finished.

#21 kenjennings OFFLINE  

kenjennings

Moonsweeper

• 492 posts

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:18 PM

. . .the only one to give me problems has been the XE's mainly the keyboard traces cracking, . . .

I vaguely recall reading that the XE keyboard can be fixed by peeling off a plastic sheet and repainting the traces with graphite. Does anyone know if this is true?

#22 Mark Wolfe OFFLINE  

Mark Wolfe

River Patroller

• 2,311 posts

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:28 PM

wow, I had no idea. I have never even heard of the 1400XL or the 1450XLD, got photos? this Candle project sounds VERY interesting, I guess we'd all be interested in buying one of them were it to become a reality.

so I guess my 800XL is a keeper and I should just upgrade that, instead of looking for a 1200XL

#23 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 7,432 posts

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:29 PM

. . .the only one to give me problems has been the XE's mainly the keyboard traces cracking, . . .

I vaguely recall reading that the XE keyboard can be fixed by peeling off a plastic sheet and repainting the traces with graphite. Does anyone know if this is true?

I don't know about graphite specifically, but there are plenty of circuit trace metallic paint pens and similiar products that are brushed on with a fine artist brush. They are conductive paints. If graphite paint can hold a current of electricity, then I guess it could work too.

And the XE aren't the only keyboards that can have this problem. 1200XL's have a couple types of keyboards and at least one of them has the mylar plastic sheet keyboard circuits as well, and possibly other XL models since quite a few different keyboard manufacturers were used by Atari over the years.

Honestly, I've tried two different types of conductive paint pens and neither has been very good at actually drawing the traces. I always end up squeezing out a few drops of the paint and applying it with a small brush anyway.

#24 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 7,432 posts

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:39 PM

wow, I had no idea. I have never even heard of the 1400XL or the 1450XLD, got photos? this Candle project sounds VERY interesting, I guess we'd all be interested in buying one of them were it to become a reality.

so I guess my 800XL is a keeper and I should just upgrade that, instead of looking for a 1200XL

You never heard of the 1400 line becuase they were never released and only a few prototypes exist. Forget about it.

Everybody has their own opinion, and mine is the 1200XL is the best if your going to upgrade anyway. Maybe that will change with Candle's 800 project, but right now, the 1200XL, in the end, fully upgraded, blows away an 800XL or XE's fully upgraded.

Personally, I'd trade away a 130XE or 800XL for even an unmodded 1200XL in a heart beat! In fact, I practically did just that; I had an upgraded 800XL with 256K and other goodies and a 130XE with 320K and other goodies and I sold them both off, use the money to buy a 1200XL and upgrades. I'm willing to do the little fixes that put it over the top.

Lack of a PBI port is usually the biggist issue with 1200 nay-sayers, but I've never needed one myself, and never used them when I had XL/XE's with the PBI/ECI port. And though it's not a little fix, the 1200XL can also have a PBI if you don't mind the extensive upgrade.

That's the one upgrade I haven't done to my 1200XL and I'm still sitting on the fence to if I'll do it or not. There are plenty of modern alternative devices that do the same job as PBI/ECI devices for the most part, like HDD interfaces, etc.

With SDcard readers and MyIDE/SIDE HDD solutions, and USB memory sticks, SIO2PC devices, etc., etc., I see no real need for a PBI anymore for most people.

If I do decide to give y 1200XL a PBI, it would be more for the fun of the upgrading hobby and resale value than my needing one.

Edited by Gunstar, Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:07 PM.

#25 Mark Wolfe OFFLINE  

Mark Wolfe

River Patroller

• 2,311 posts

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:50 PM

hmm, does anyone have any idea what the status of Candle's project is? how far away is he from being able to take pre-orders / orders and what will the price point be? or is he not even close to being able to predict that yet?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users