IGNORED

Pinkie Quest

Master_Programmer

Any Bronies on here?

Even if there aren't you might still find this game a nice time-killer.

It's just something simple i whipped up in a single morning.

Basically, select switch starts the game, you have to avoid the missiles by running around and dodging.

you start with 5,000 points, and every time a missile flies to the left edge of the screen, you get 50 points.

get 9900, and you advance to the next level.

you have to press the select switch to get to the next level, that way, it wouldn't drop you in unprepared.

pressing fire on player 2's joystick, drops player 2 in the game, and pressing fire on player 1's joystick drops player 2 out of the game.

on the select screen, the screen at the start of the game, and during advancing to every next level, you can press up or down on player 1's joystick, to change the background color.

the missiles fly faster every stage, but there is a point, where they go back to their slowest speed, and rise up again.

every time a missile hits you, or player 2, then your score goes down by 250 points.

if you hit 0, then you lose, and have to reset the game, with the reset switch.

the difficulty switches determine how fast overall, the missiles are, and can get.

left difficulty controls 1 missile, and right controls the other.

Player 1 is Pinkie Pie, Player 2 is Applejack

but enough talk, here's the game, and the box-art.

The box art, both main and top, comes in both 150, and 360 DPI.

I do not own Pinkie Pie, Applejack, or My little pony.

They're owned by Hasbro Inc, and I'm not making a profit off of this game, so they have no right to give me any cease and desist messages.

This game *SHOULD* run on real hardware too, as it's not only an unexpanded 4k, but also keeps under the cpu cycle limit.

anyways, enjoy.

PinkieQuest.bin

post-29197-0-98457100-1333224517_thumb.jpg

post-29197-0-15283600-1333224529_thumb.jpg

post-29197-0-52702100-1333224536_thumb.jpg

post-29197-0-80354500-1333224545_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well I like the show, but I don't really consider myself a Brony.

Really good animation on Pinkie Pie! Would like to see it developed further, like lives/health, items, power ups, a goal, etc.

I worked on a game a while back with BB and almost finished it but then scrapped it when it got too complicated and buggy, but it mostly worked. It used the titlescreen kernel, had a world to explore and different enemies to battle all while trying to find your way home. With that experience, I think I can move on and make a completed game that's a little bit simpler loaded with powerups, a simpler goal, and a scrolling playfield.

• Like 1

Heh, a surprisingly good rendition of Pinkie in just eight pixels. You could possibly make better use of P0 for the tail if you move it left a few pixels in the middle of the body when you're done drawing the mane (not sure if that's possible in bB though). Also, the gait is wrong - few quadrupeds walk/run like that.

You should make it so the player can't move beyond the top of the screen, since that leaves even less area exposed.

Something like the missile in Yars' Revenge that chases the player(s) around could work as a simple way to motivate the them to not stay in one place.

On a side note, quite a few people have harassed me to make something MLP related on the VCS - I've declined though

WAIT, WHAT?!

People care about this game?! O_O

I'm actually really shocked...REALLY SHOCKED.

Anyways, Yeah, I've always been good with spriting, and I know their run animation could use some work...i've never studied a pony's run/walk movements, so I went by what I knew of how their legs and joints worked.

I'm actually working on a GIGANTIC MLP Action/Adventure/ActionRPG game...one that incorporates all of the mane 6, plus a secret bonus character, all of them with unique powers, powerups, attacks, etc, but i've had a huge problem so far...

I'm not sure I want to use the DPC+, but I can't get the Multisprike kernel to work at all.

I need to fiddle with it a bit more...if you all would like, I can even post a mockup picture of what the gameplay is supposed to look like, as it's not even in a playable state yet.

On a side note, quite a few people have harassed me to make something MLP related on the VCS - I've declined though

Yeah, some bronies need to understand, not everyone will want to put their time into an MLP game.

But that's what I'm here for...i'm the guy who will do those kinds of games. :3

Anyways, I do have two bits of news, one related to the games i'm programming, and one not.

First, the one that's not.

I got my Driver's License recently, and this after noon, i'm gonna go hunting for a job, for the first time!! :D

Now the one that is.

I learned how to use the multisprite kernel, so I can have more sprites in a game, without having to use the not-widely supported DPC+ enhancement...expect me to use it in the pony game ^^

That, and i'm still working on those STUPID dungeon maps in Zelda Gaiden...but they JUST WON'T WORK.

At this rate, I *MIGHT* have to start over from scratch...maybe even make it more like it's original design if I do that.

As for Radiant Force, I've run into a problem music-wise...I can't come up with anything good for the other themes...although i've never been good at composing new music, as I'm sure some of you remember my attempt at doing just that in "Split Second"....*shudders*

You know what?

What MausGames said has been buzzing around like an angry bee in my head, for about an hour now, mostly because he/she is right.

I don't even know why the heck I try anymore.

I never finish any of the games, and I can't believe I even kid myself into believing I will...It's been a personal problem i've had for years now, and I wonder why I try to do this stuff, because 99% of the time, that problem gets in the way, and I never finish the game I work on.

Here, you guys can have the source to all but two projects I'm working on.

Zelda Gaiden.zip

Radiant Force.zip

Everyone gets frustrated or burnt out. No one is putting a deadline on your ideas. You are the artist. You could finish this stuff in a weekend or take a break for a decade. Come back to your projects when you feel like it.

Personally, when I start getting tired of a project I blame other people for not being supportive enough or the programming tools for being impossible to work with. In reality, I'm just getting burnt out and I blame other things for it.

I still need to learn what the signs are and realise that it's OK to set aside a project until I feel the love again.

Edited by theloon
  • Like 1

Personally, when I start getting tired of a project I blame other people for not being supportive enough or the programming tools for being impossible to work with. In reality, I'm just getting burnt out and I blame other things for it.

Ive been blaming the limitations of the hardware, but many other programmers have shown that it's possible to make great games inside those limitations. I do like the game idea presented in this thread, and hope this project is developed further.

You know what?

What MausGames said has been buzzing around like an angry bee in my head, for about an hour now, mostly because he/she is right.

I don't even know why the heck I try anymore.

I never finish any of the games, and I can't believe I even kid myself into believing I will...It's been a personal problem i've had for years now, and I wonder why I try to do this stuff, because 99% of the time, that problem gets in the way, and I never finish the game I work on.

Here, you guys can have the source to all but two projects I'm working on.

All I can say is... don't give up.

Some Atari wisdom that I heard long ago is that making a game is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration.

It takes a lot of push to get through that 99%. I have many games that I've worked on that have gone into vaporware.

Here's just one example:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/125621-steam-tunnel-bob-a-new-2600-homebrew/

Sometimes, things just don't work out in your kernel. And, sometimes, it feels like there's a lot of milestones and people that don't even care.

I assure you-- that's not the case. Putting more polish on something is always worth it in the end.

I've found myself multiple times staring at a 99% wall in front of me of all of the millions of things I have to do.

In my experience, I've come up with 2 solutions to actually get one finished:

1) break it into smaller problems; choose between one to three that are "fun", and implement those. Then, look at the list again, and pick the next top three.

By doing it this way, you won't feel like you're totally screwed with a daunting task in front of you.

2) Break your code every day after you fix it. This sounds ridiculous, but I always recommend it. I can't sleep when I have a broken framework, and I think about the problem in the back of my head all day at work. It's especially useful if you're breaking something that you have no idea how to fix-- take it part of the way there, and then think about it all day. You might be surprised what you come up with.

Honestly, you have some great talent, even though you may doubt it.

I am looking forward to seeing something great from you.

And yes, it takes some work to get something out the door, but looking back the few times I've completed something, I've been very, VERY pleased with the journey.

Don't get too discouraged. :) You'll get there.

-John