IGNORED

I Made the Switch from CRT to LCD

Well, I believe I'm going to retire the trusty 13" CRT and game only on an LCD HDTV from now on. Desk real estate was getting too precious, so I took a chance on a 22" Samsung HDTV that I could use as my primary computer monitor AND retro gaming monitor.

As a computer monitor, it's really good, but only after I learned how to get it to recognize the HDMI input as coming from a computer and not a TV (the text went from crappy to crisp).

As a gaming monitor, it's good enough. I have tested it with my Colecovision with composite output (thanks, Yurkie), and there is no lag. No lag either from the RF input with my 800XL. I haven't tested any other systems yet, but I don't see why there would be a problem. My PS2 will use the component input. No light gun games, but I still have a 35" Sony Trinitron upstairs.

I'll always prefer a CRT for gaming, but I'm liking the uncluttered desk a lot. Anyone else make the switch? Regrets?

post-30018-0-12092700-1333249945_thumb.jpg

I never had a problem with the display of LCDs. I understand the argument of getting the authentic look from CRTs though, and there's a difference. It it's not so important for me.

Though I barely ever play light gun games I know I'd miss them.

As long as these issues don't bother you enough, I say go for it.

• Like 2

I gave up CRTs last year. The only one I have left is the AppleColor monitor for the platinum //e. OTOH, up until recently I was using standard def LCDs that worked very well with classic systems. Now I have my A8 hooked to the new high def monitor I use for my Mac, and I have my CV hooked to the HDTV in the loft. I adjusted the aspect ratio of course, but it's still taking some getting used to. Basically I need to make sure the output is as clean as possible from both. My Yurkie-ized CV does fine. The 1200XL has been prolematic, but I'm working through it and testing out various options for the video circuit (plus I have a VBXE on order).

Aspect ratio isn't a problem with the Samsung, as you can tell it to go 4:3, 16:9, or full screen. I think one of the reasons I'm okay with the switch is that I just don't play as many games as I used to or thought I would. I focus on the collecting aspect of the hobby, so having the hardware and CIB games is just as important as playing the games. All that said, if a 13" Sony WEGA CRT turns up on CL for $20, I'd have to find space for it.

22" HDTV as a computer monitor? What's the resolution on that?

1920 x 1080. The appearance of the text can be horrible if you use HDMI and do not tell the HDTV that the input is coming from a computer, however. (I can speak only for the Samsung.) If you do "label" the HDMI input with the "PC" preset (don't ask me why), the output is monitor quality. In fact, I think it is better than my old Dell IPS LCD.

Roughly a 24" 16:9 display will give you the same vertical real estate of a 19" 4:3 display. Thats what I went with for the same reason of needing space and ability to store better.

Absolutely, nothing current will beat a traditional CRT for classic systems. That being said, results with a HDTV varies. I seen some sets handle a standard signal and traditional connections like a champ with a very good conversion. Others I seen look just horrendous. Depends too on the signal being sent. I also have a ColecoVision composite mod from Yurkie, and honestly, the picture is great. Even better than that coming from a toaster NES and both my composite mod 7800 and 2600.

Plenty of 1080p smaller units out there. Here's over 30 HDTV sets between 21 - 29" and 1080p from Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.c...3A%3E1900-01-01

Here's some LED HDTV's from New Egg - around the same aforementioned specs:

http://www.newegg.co...ING&PageSize=20

And some LCD HDTVs:

http://www.newegg.co...57&maxPrice=499

I second Slow Coder's comments too...Any HDTV I have encounted - Plasma, LCD, LED...etc...You control aspect ratio without an issue. The biggest loss is the light gun games, but I cannot recall the last time, even when I had a CRT, that I played one of them.

And if you really wanted to go hardcore, achieveing a near flawless picture on a modern HDTV with a classic console, you need a really good external converter/scaler. I'm not talking the common under $100 devices. The ones that work realy well are in the $200-$400 range and more. But once you have one you can use it on any HDTV that has HDMI.

This is a great resource for reviews on the above: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

I would love to own the 'Micomsoft XRGB3' or 'Mini-Framemeister' device.

Edited by Trebor

And Sega's 3-D games are DA BOMB!!!

I've tried using my SMS with 3-D Glasses on my 60" Plasma... it fades from perfectly in sync, to completely out of sync and back, over and over...

As well considering the 3-D glasses don't PERFECTLY black out other crap means the smaller the screen the better, and distance helps too.

My PS2 will use the component input.

Maybe it's just me, but even with component cables, PS2 looks pretty awful on an HDTV. Kind of weird, because GameCube and Dreamcast both look great.

Maybe I was just testing the wrong games, though.

If you do "label" the HDMI input with the "PC" preset (don't ask me why), the output is monitor quality.

Maybe when it thinks it's TV, it's trying to apply upsampling filters?

Nice! I'd been thinking about replacing my main PC monitor with an HDTV, but it seems like everything I find that fits on my desk (28" and smaller) only does 720p.

I bought mine from Costco online for about $190 shipped. If you are not a Costco member, you will pay a little more. I like that Costco gives you 90 days to return and adds a year to the warranty (for 2 years total). There's a seller on eBay selling a bunch of refurbished ones for $130 shipped. The model is B2230HD.

Edited by boxpressed

My PS2 will use the component input.

Maybe it's just me, but even with component cables, PS2 looks pretty awful on an HDTV. Kind of weird, because GameCube and Dreamcast both look great.

Maybe I was just testing the wrong games, though.

My PS2 looks great on my 37" LCD TV with component. But I configured my PS2 to output high def, and set the games that are capable to high definition and wide screen. So I'm thinking maybe its just that you haven't configured yours properly, or your TV doesn't understand the signal properly.

Eventually, though, this is where we are all headed, like it or not.

Not me, not ever. Between arcade monitors, PC monitors, and TVs; I have about two dozen CRT displays here. The oldest ones include an Electrohome G07 from my Missile Command machine, made in 1980 and still working fine; and a pair of Nintendo/Sanyo 20-Z2AW arcade monitors made in 1984 and also working fine. The newest include three 19" Happ Vision Pro arcade monitors, a 22" Mitsubishi Diamondtron PC monitor, and a 32" RCA TV made in the mid-to-late 2000s.

I won't ever have to downgrade to an LCD/plasma, nor to any other type of display that comes along in the future. I have enough CRTs to last me the rest of my life; plus I know how to work on them; plus they made millions upon millions of them, so I doubt they'll ever be hard to find in my lifetime.

I'd rather not play video games at all than play them on anything other than a CRT display.

• Like 2