IGNORED

Tetris on 7800?

Enig

I've wondered, why is it that there seems to be no port of Tetris for the Atari 7800 yet?

I mean, even the 2600 has had a ton of them of varying quality, yet nobody has thought to do it on the more powerful and graphically capable 7800. Personally, I'd enjoy seeing that happen someday, as the 7800 is one of my little gaming-related obsessions.

• Like 2

I have plans to do one myself, when I can find the time, but it will be much more than a plain-vanilla implementation of classic Tetris, which is where most homebrew efforts seem to stop.

There have been many different variations of Tetris, each with their own unique options and characteristics, and I think it would be nice to have a "non-trademark-infringing falling puzzle game" which combines and parameterizes these options so that players can pick and choose the (mutually exclusive) ones that they want; to "roll their own Tetris", in other words. I'm also very interested in integrating some of the more recent developments of Tetris, especially from the Tetris the Grand Master series; I've been playing TGM2+ a lot recently for "research". ;)

It will be some time before I begin working on it, though. While I am waiting for the 7800XM and some other 7800 development tools, I'll probably make a Mattel Aquarius version first, since I've been tinkering with the Aquarius recently.

I have plans to do one myself, when I can find the time, but it will be much more than a plain-vanilla implementation of classic Tetris, which is where most homebrew efforts seem to stop.

There have been many different variations of Tetris, each with their own unique options and characteristics, and I think it would be nice to have a "non-trademark-infringing falling puzzle game" which combines and parameterizes these options so that players can pick and choose the (mutually exclusive) ones that they want; to "roll their own Tetris", in other words. I'm also very interested in integrating some of the more recent developments of Tetris, especially from the Tetris the Grand Master series; I've been playing TGM2+ a lot recently for "research". ;)

It will be some time before I begin working on it, though. While I am waiting for the 7800XM and some other 7800 development tools, I'll probably make a Mattel Aquarius version first, since I've been tinkering with the Aquarius recently.

Sounds similar to Pac-Man Collection but for falling puzzle piece games.

I've always wondered this too. Even though it's been done and cloned a trillion times (Anyone remember Tetrix and ATris on a the A8), I'd still love to see a good version on the 7800 with some nice artwork in the background and good brick designs vs. the 'flat bricks on black screen' you often see.

Tubes (http://www.atariage....post__p__908123) is veryTetris-like. While never completed, it is definitely playable.

Right, Tubes is cool, but still no Tetris. Admittedly it's in hi-res, but a version of Tetris should use more of the color displaying capabilities that the 7800 has to offer. Also, Tubes is just a beta, really, and the author doesn't have any intention of finishing it -- Notice that it's a very quiet game to play. :) The 7800 should be capable of doing a very nice version of Tetris.

Even though it's been done and cloned a trillion times (Anyone remember Tetrix and ATris on a the A8)...

In spite of that, the A8 still doesn't have a solid version of Tetris. I've never seen one that actually had good playability. It's one thing to look like Tetris, it's another thing to have one that looks right and plays right. To play right it has to have good mechanics and the sound effects have to be closely tied in to the movement of the pieces. I have graphics and ideas for one that I'd like to do on the A8. To me the NES versions are good models in terms of gameplay and music and this is the mark that I plan to aim for.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see the arcade version of Tetris on the 7800

Ditto.

The Atari Games Corporation's version of Tetris is my favorite of all time. Most people know it as "Tengen's Tetris" but it was the same plus Tengen was just the Atari Games Corporation under a different name.

The port should be doable. I noticed playing the game in MAME that the CPU for the arcade is a 6502 and the sound chip is a POKEY. [although it may be 2 of them].

• 3 years later...

Tengen (lit. "heavens") was the trade name Atari used to publish games not released on its own systems, much like AtariSoft had served the same purpose pre-1984.

Anyway, had Atari negotiated with the Russians the right way over rights to this game, there would have been a chance it could have been released on its 7800 system. But Nintendo won the court battle, so we never got to hear stuff like "Loginska" (named for programmer Ed Logg) and "Bradinsky" (named for score composer Brad Fuller) on the 7800's sound system. Therefore, I am all for a 7800 Tetris.

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981

Tengen (lit. "heavens") was the trade name Atari used to publish games not released on its own systems, much like AtariSoft had served the same purpose pre-1984.

Anyway, had Atari negotiated with the Russians the right way over rights to this game, there would have been a chance it could have been released on its 7800 system. But Nintendo won the court battle, so we never got to hear stuff like "Loginska" (named for programmer Ed Logg) and "Bradinsky" (named for score composer Brad Fuller) on the 7800's sound system. Therefore, I am all for a 7800 Tetris.

~Ben

Partially correct. Tengen was the Atari Games Corp's house brand for consumer video game releases. They couldn't use the "Atari" name due to Tramiel's Atari Corp owning the rights to the name in the consumer market for video games and computers. Atari Games could only use the "Atari" brand in the arcades. That was due to Atari Inc collapsing and Warner selling it in pieces beginning in July 1984. Atari Games was the former coin-op division [aka "Atari Coin"] of Atari Inc…and technically speaking, the "original" Atari.

Warner sold Atari Games to Namco, then Warner got it back, then merged it into their other interactive divisions to create "Time Warner Interactive", then abandoned that name and sold it as "Atari Games" to Midway in 1996, then Midway renamed it as "Midway Games West" shortly thereafter, then closed it in circa 2002, then Midway went bankrupt in 2008 (?) or so and Warner bought up the intellectual property and all of it is part of Warner Bros Interactive today.

• Like 1