tinctu, on Tue Apr 3, 2012 4:39 AM, said:
further information can be found in the Abbuc magazine - but only in german language. Last not least, this project is long long dead and obsolete. Whenever someone comes up with a 65816 project, this lasts for a few years, but sooner or later the project seems to be dead and very few Atarians built or ordered a 65816. I remember these projects:
- Atari in the 80s, nothing ever came out of it, no software, no hardware; but I guess Curt Vendel still has all the plans and schematics;
- "Dataque" (Jeff Potter and Chuck Steinman) in the early 90s, nothing ever came out of it, no software, no hardware, nothing;
- Hyper-Speed XL/XE by Mario Trams, in the middle of the 90s, plans, schematics and some software released in Abbuc magazine, nothing ever evolved though (seems as no-one ordered the hardware)... Mario also demonstrated his enhancement at two (of the annual) Abbuc meetings...
- someone told me there were also plans (or at least articles) in Atari Classic magazine, but since I don`t have it, I don`t know if its true...
- FTE ?!? After all their big plans with SpartaDOS, SDX, Action, Basic XL, Basic XE, etc. it would not surprise me if a 65816 was also planned... but nothing ever came out of it...
- KMK/DRAC030 released some sort of manual, software, a compatibility list and other stuff here:
- Bob1200XL released a 7Mhz version for Abbuc hardware contest some years ago, he also talked about his 65816 here at atari-age:
simply use "65816" as search function for more 65816 related topics here at atari-age...
- afaik, just two years ago Guus Assmann released a 65816 pcb at Abbuc hardware contest (this time both the 6502 and the 65816 were on the same pcb)...
Nevertheless, after all these hardware, software, text/information releases about the 65816 the thing did not really evolve. Looks like most Atarians want to keep their 8Bit Atari as an 8Bit Atari (and not a 16 Bit machine; if so one could easily buy a "Commodore ST" or an "Atari Amiga"
Edited by CharlieChaplin, Tue Apr 3, 2012 11:54 AM.