Converting Images Question

2 replies to this topic

#1 kamakazi OFFLINE  

kamakazi

Dragonstomper

• 530 posts

Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012 3:33 PM

Hi All,

I just setup my laptop to try my hands at A8 programming. The main focus will be developing for the Atari 8-bit computers with hopes of porting a finished projects to the 5200. I am using Eclipse setup with WUDSN which is absolutely incredible so far.

But, I would like to know if programs for Windows (7/64-bit) exist to convert images of jpeg,png,bmp formats to a format that can be coded in assembly for the 6502. I would like to attempt to get a logo screen going and would like to experiment with graphics to learn assembly. My logo file can be found below.

Posted Image

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

#2 Rybags ONLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 12,691 posts

Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012 6:28 PM

Some of the Win based utlitities like G2F and AIS handle some standard pic formats.

Personally, I usually just create a BMP, reverse the scanline order in Photoshop then just have a Basic program that strips the header.

#3 JAC! OFFLINE  

JAC!

Stargunner

• 1,042 posts
  • Always looking for GFX and MSX for my demos

Posted Wed Apr 4, 2012 5:00 PM

In fact WUDSN IDE can be used directly to perform the conversion in the current version 1.6.0.
The question is how you want the end-result to look like (#colors, resolution,...).
Your logo has 640x200 and uses 5237 colors, which is a "bit" beyond the Atari's resolution :-)
step1.png
I usually use GrafX2 (http://code.google.com/p/grafx2) to perform all the resizing and color reduction/substitution/pixel fixing.
Then I convert the resulting (normally .png, can be anything) picture using the WUDSN IDE Graphics Editor into whatever binary format (pic/bin/raw...) I need.
step2.png
Then on the Atari you can use DLIs or kernels to add more colors again.

Edited by JAC!, Wed Apr 4, 2012 5:01 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users