IGNORED

Bacardi Breeze

Thanks.

Nope, I'm Danish. Did the Danish flag a year or so ago in assembler with 16 pixel resolution sine wave using much the same technique, though this one is only 8 pixels, just up and down and no vertical bar (chose German flag because it's easier - and close by). With a little more effort, I think the XB demo can be made sine wavish without loosing speed in the end presentation. Loosing the "math" and using just raw data would probably also speed up the initialization - might add a bit in size, might loose and add in flexibility, but perhaps also a bit more boring programming wise.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Did the Danish flag a year or so ago in assembler with 16 pixel resolution sine wave using much the same technique, ...

Here's a gif of that old one:

flag.gif

Was looking into adding more flags, and actually found different aspect ratios (height to width ratio) with for example the Danish flag being rather squarish with a rather thin cross, the Swedish's longer with a more fat cross, and then the Finnish is even longer and fatter, - so much that I have to compensate on the character cell level (8 pixel precision) to get an okay feel - now that I know. Never thought it would come to that.

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 1

Here's a gif of that old one:

flag.gif

Was looking into adding more flags, and actually found different aspect ratios (height to width ratio) with for example the Danish flag being rather squarish with a rather thin cross, the Swedish's longer with a more fat cross, and then the Finnish is even longer and fatter, - so much that I have to compensate on the character cell level (8 pixel precision) to get an okay feel - now that I know. Never thought it would come to that.

Any chance of getting to work on a version of the alternative Danish flag?

carlsberg-203-oboje.jpg

• Like 1

Any chance of getting to work on a version of the alternative Danish flag?

I like strong special beers, and (/therefore) I might pick up the challenge later (doing a Carlsberg flag or something of that nature).

The trick with the flag below is, that only some parts need updating.

flag.grid.png

With the easier flag designs, I'll only need these 8 character patterns.

flag.patterns.png

In the case of the German flag I'll need them repeated 4 times with different color combinations, and 6 times with the Danish and for example the Italian one.

The Danish flag above needs updating of 20 characters (not patterns so it's only 20 bytes to update) in the first row etc. And the effect is just fine with only 15 frame/screen updates per second. And this should give us time to handle much more complex flags.

Edited by sometimes99er

This should demonstrate what I'm talking about.

flags.scandinavian.jpg

I like strong special beers, and (/therefore) I might pick up the challenge later (doing a Carlsberg flag or something of that nature).

The trick with the flag below is, that only some parts need updating.

flag.grid.png

With the easier flag designs, I'll only need these 8 character patterns.

flag.patterns.png

In the case of the German flag I'll need them repeated 4 times with different color combinations, and 6 times with the Danish and for example the Italian one.

The Danish flag above needs updating of 20 characters (not patterns so it's only 20 bytes to update) in the first row etc. And the effect is just fine with only 15 frame/screen updates per second. And this should give us time to handle much more complex flags.

Awesome! This would be super cool as part of a racing game for the track selection screen!

• Like 2

Awesome! This would be super cool as part of a racing game for the track selection screen!

I believe "English Software" got there first with the Atari 8bit racing game "Elektraglide".

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCgQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D4JxagpNL9Tw&ei=qkn_VO-xOo3bao-NgMgL&usg=AFQjCNF6kwsN0sQEz4HpVKBBAv2Y8qZ_Yg&bvm=bv.87611401,d.d2s&cad=rja

Not to cause any unnecessary confusion, I've removed the initial "beep" from all of my TI-99/4A Flash simulators (post #16).

Ah, thank you for that. Now I can remove them from my block list. I got in major trouble the first time I loaded one of the threads with your flash demos. The female unit sleeping next to me liked to have shat herself and beat the living hell out of me in the process.

• Like 2