Photo

Original Xbox Modchips - Need advice

29 replies to this topic

#1 Satoshi Matrix OFFLINE  

Satoshi Matrix

Moonsweeper

• 437 posts

Posted Thu Apr 5, 2012 10:22 AM

Not exactly a classic console but not modern either, I want to add in a modchip into my Xbox version 1.1 so I can install and use a 750 GB IDE seagate barracuda harddrive with it. I don't really require multiple dashboards or anything fancy, just as long as I have the large harddrive support across E and F partitions.

As of now in 2012, what is the best Xbox modchip to go with? I'm leaning towards the DuoX-2 GS more than the Aladdin XenoFX, but I want to hear from those who know about this stuff. Thanks.

#2 Bruce Tomlin OFFLINE  

Bruce Tomlin

River Patroller

• 3,572 posts
  • CD C9 01

Posted Thu Apr 5, 2012 5:56 PM

I can't imagine what could make one chip better than the other aside from ease of installation. Live hasn't been an issue for years since (I presume) Microsoft shut it down for old Xbox. These days it'd be better to not have a stealth mode chip.

Just as long as you have a BIOS with the LBA patch for large drives, that's all you should really need.

#3 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 9,090 posts

Posted Thu Apr 5, 2012 6:13 PM

Yeah, not much of a point in using a modchip these days. Just softmod it. :)

#4 Satoshi Matrix OFFLINE  

Satoshi Matrix

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 437 posts

Posted Thu Apr 5, 2012 8:18 PM

Softmodding doesn't allow me to exchange the harddrive without severe difficulties, and even then I could only access the first 137 GB out of a 750 GB drive. Modchips allow up to 2 TB drives to be easily installed.

#5 Bruce Tomlin OFFLINE  

Bruce Tomlin

River Patroller

• 3,572 posts
  • CD C9 01

Posted Fri Apr 6, 2012 6:39 AM

While I can't recommend much between each type of chip, a chip mod is so much easier to do if you have some basic soldering skills. And if the Xbox dies, it's not too hard to install a pin header in a replacement and just move the chip over.

But a softmod can't install an LBA patch for large HDs. Unless you know how to make a softmod work with large HDs, that is. Please do tell us how.

The only option that I can think of is to bridge the Write Enable points on the motherboard so you can rewrite the internal BIOS chip. But if you're going to do that, you might as well do a chip mod so you don't have to go through all that live swap nonsense to change the HD.

Booting copy discs is stupid when you can install games to a HD, and the optical drives themselves are aging, so you don't want to use them more than you have to. Even the much maligned PS2 drives are (IMHO) easier to keep running than the crap drives MS used.

#6 NE146 OFFLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 13,472 posts

Posted Fri Apr 6, 2012 7:04 AM

Softmodding doesn't allow me to exchange the harddrive without severe difficulties, and even then I could only access the first 137 GB out of a 750 GB drive. Modchips allow up to 2 TB drives to be easily installed.

I wouldn't call it severe difficulties (it's actually relatively easy), but point taken. You can't just drop in a hard drive on a hat like you could with a chip so that is an advantage.

#7 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 9,090 posts

Posted Fri Apr 6, 2012 1:48 PM

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware of that limitation. :)

#8 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,548 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Fri Apr 6, 2012 1:56 PM

I had bad luck with Aladdin chips in the past, steer clear of that wreck. When I was still installing these things for people around 2004 or so, it was all Xecuter chips. Those are great. Then the Duo chips started coming out... I never used one, but I know they're closer to an Xecuter than Aladdin.

#9 NE146 OFFLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 13,472 posts

Posted Fri Apr 6, 2012 3:00 PM

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware of that limitation. :)

Actually that's not true at all. You can put in most any hard drive as far as I know. If there WAS a limit, it's definitely not 137 GB.Heck I've put 500gig drives in there with zero problems on a Ndure softmod and that was years ago. Been a long time now and I'm sure it has only improved.

#10 Bruce Tomlin OFFLINE  

Bruce Tomlin

River Patroller

• 3,572 posts
  • CD C9 01

Posted Sat Apr 7, 2012 1:22 PM

Sure, you can put in a huge drive, but the stock BIOS won't be able to access beyond 137GB or so.

The reason is that the IDE command set only went that high until ATA100 came out and they added a new command set for bigger disks. The stock Xbox BIOS was made before those commands existed. Most hacked BIOSes will have the necessary patch.

There are only two ways to use a hacked BIOS:

1) solder a bridge over the points that disable write-protect on the main BIOS chip, then use some kind of a flasher utility

2) install a chipmod, which overrides the main BIOS chip

I'd feel a lot safer leaving the main BIOS chip unchanged as an anti-bricking fail-safe.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin, Sat Apr 7, 2012 1:23 PM.

#11 NE146 OFFLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 13,472 posts

Posted Sat Apr 7, 2012 1:53 PM

Sure, you can put in a huge drive, but the stock BIOS won't be able to access beyond 137GB or so.

I think you're a little behind the times man and are thinking of old softmod methods. :P Current softmods with LBA48 support patch the MS-BIOS and that is no longer an issue and they EASILY support larger hard drives, and give you a whole bunch of useful standard features like virtual EEPROM, Shadow-C etc..

As I said before I've put 500 gig hard drives and filled them chock full of junk. Heck, just quickly looking, the set of PCE CD's alone is 132 gigs alone.. not to mention everything else. They access just fine. Put in a 750 gig hard drive if you want.

Just make sure you are doing a recent softmod. :)

Edited by NE146, Sat Apr 7, 2012 1:54 PM.

#12 onlysublime OFFLINE  

onlysublime

Stargunner

• 1,309 posts

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:55 AM

Yeah, there's no point in using a mod chip at this point.

All my Xbox1 systems are softmodded. One has a 320GB drive. Another has a 160. Another has an 80. Another has a 40. I used the CASH CD (cereal's automated softmod helper, I think, it's been so long). Very very hard to find at this point. But I just downloaded it, burned it to disc, inserted it into the Xbox, followed the menu prompts, and voila, a fully modded system. No need for games. No need for cables. No need for memory cards. No need for anything else.

And the best thing about this mod was that everything was done in a virtual partition (not sure if I'm using the terminology correctly). So I still have full access to the original BIOS and full compatibility for everything. And if I wipe out the virtual partition, my Xbox1 goes back to its original state.

Edited by onlysublime, Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:57 AM.

#13 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

River Patroller

• 2,981 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:26 PM

All my Xbox1 systems are softmodded. One has a 320GB drive. Another has a 160. Another has an 80. Another has a 40.

Cool, but the OP was wanting a 2TB drive. Can this be done on a softmod?

#14 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,548 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:40 PM

a 750 GB IDE seagate barracuda harddrive

#15 onlysublime OFFLINE  

onlysublime

Stargunner

• 1,309 posts

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:26 PM

he didn't ask for a 2TB drive. but why would you use a 2 TB drive on the Xbox1? I don't even think all the Xbox1 games would take up 2 TB. And it can't really do HD movies so you're not using a lot of space on movies. And music is not big and the Xbox1 isn't fast enough for FLAC (actually, I don't know about FLAC, never tried it on Xbox1).

As for someone that did want to use a 2TB drive, I don't remember that limitation in the docs. The only limitation is finding a hard drive that is lockable. That is the rate limiting step with using softmods. With mod chips (AFAIK), you can use any drive. for softmods, I think you need a lockable drive (but don't hold me to this).

you can go to http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list to see a list. Now, this list is completely volunteer. And most people have moved on to bigger and better things than the Xbox1 so the list isn't being updated as much as it should. So a lot of the newer drives are just trial and error on your part. For the softmods I have tried, they all needed the drive to be lockable which meant some hard drives I tried worked and some didn't. I myself added a few drives to the list that worked and some drives that didn't work.

#16 Starscream OFFLINE  

Starscream

River Patroller

• 3,027 posts

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:58 PM

Duo X is a nice chip and so is the Alladin. I always preferred the SmartX but I don't even know if they are made anymore. I never bothered with softmods. Had to open the case no matter what if adding a bigger HD, soldering may have taken 5 minutes at the most, multiple boot modes, safe modes and drive swaps were worth way more to me than a softmod.

#17 mimo OFFLINE  

mimo

Preppie!

• 6,778 posts
  • It's easy living in a bubble

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:03 PM

I'm with starscream, I have duo x2 chips in 2 of my xbox's .
They are cheap, easy to install, available and reliable (4 years of almost daily use in my main xbox)
I did do a softmod once, years ago, but the hassle to try and install a large HDD put me off.

#18 HatNJ OFFLINE  

HatNJ

Stargunner

• 1,416 posts
  • When Im on Im on when Im off Im WAY off

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:48 PM

All my Xbox1 systems are softmodded. One has a 320GB drive. Another has a 160. Another has an 80. Another has a 40. I used the CASH CD (cereal's automated softmod helper, I think, it's been so long). Very very hard to find at this point. But I just downloaded it, burned it to disc, inserted it into the Xbox, followed the menu prompts, and voila, a fully modded system. No need for games. No need for cables. No need for memory cards. No need for anything else.

And the best thing about this mod was that everything was done in a virtual partition (not sure if I'm using the terminology correctly). So I still have full access to the original BIOS and full compatibility for everything. And if I wipe out the virtual partition, my Xbox1 goes back to its original state.

Ive got an Xbox 1 also. Do you have an ISO for Cash v1.1 ? The Torrents seems to have no seeders

#19 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 9,090 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:55 PM

Ive got an Xbox 1 also. Do you have an ISO for Cash v1.1 ? The Torrents seems to have no seeders

I am interested in this as well.

#20 Tupin OFFLINE  

Tupin

Chopper Commander

• 189 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:13 PM

Huh, I had a question about this as well. I was just wondering about which one to get , a Duo X would be fine? There is software out there that will auto-install the new dashboard of your choosing when you burn it, I was planning on installing EvolutionX or something similar.

#21 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,548 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:49 PM

I am interested in this as well.

It's on Usenet...

#22 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 9,090 posts

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:03 PM

I was planning on installing EvolutionX or something similar.

EvolutionX is supposedly old and outdated. It's what I use (modded my system a few years back), but apparently there are better ones available now. Where's Hyper_Eye when we need him? He knows a lot about XBOX modding.

#23 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,548 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:34 PM

Just use XBMC for a dashboard.

#24 Starscream OFFLINE  

Starscream

River Patroller

• 3,027 posts

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:21 AM

I always used Evox as the dash, but XBMC now would be fine. Evox always had the FTP server built in which was valuable for modding multiple system or sharing. The Duox and other chips can be set to boot to different dashes from the chip itself depending on how you flash the chip. If you really want to get into all of that, the SmartX is the best chip for that, you can set up multiple bios' on the chip and when you power on the system, select which bios to boot. If you aren't going to tinker around, use any chip and XBMC.

Anyone looking do install a chip that hasn't done it before, you need to find which version of the system you have and flash the appropriate bios. In reality, a 1.6 system is the only one that won't boot off an older bios. And 1.6 systems are a pain in the ass for other reasons too.

#25 gtmtnbiker OFFLINE  

gtmtnbiker

Star Raider

• 67 posts

Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:15 PM

Evox is one of the bioses that come with the Duox mod chip but it's a crap BIOS, especially the built-in ftp server. I highly recommend using XBMC as your dashboard.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users